Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

The Cena interview was really interesting, I thought. He does seem keen to work with fresh opponents.

Also, the first episode of Jim Ross's new podcast has landed on iTunes today. Have got it downloaded for a listen later.

And yes, I'll plug that we posted our 'Wrestlemania X' episode today as well. Link for itunes is; https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/new-gen...d749154884?mt=2

I was confused when Cena said "I was there at the worst of times, 700 paid in Washington DC". Was he talking about poor Smackdown ticket sales?

Yeah he said that was when he was first on smackdown. Austin just ignored cenas mania 31 question

I'm surprised Cena gave that away. Obviously the company's popularity dropped a fair bit after the Attitude era but 700 paid tickets? Blimey.

Aye, Austin wasn't having any of that Cena match stuff was he. He's probably sick to death of talking about coming back for one more match.

• Paid Members

The "worst of times" is just a wrestler talking out of his arse. During the time Cena has been in WWF/WWE, there's no way they were ever sweating on anything. Even if they get the odd shit attendance, TV's and PPVs were never doing badly. They drew 14,000 at the Fleet Centre, 16,000 at the Bell Centre and 52,000 at SafeCo Field in the first few months of 2003. Not exactly worth out getting the noose out. At least they were all on guaranteed money and there was star power out the arse.

The brilliant Mookieghana put together a comparison over the years when it comes to average attendance. Not much of a difference compared to now. Especially considering they were doing 2 shows a year a lot in 2002/2003.

35d2ohw.jpg

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

There was a show in Washington in 2004 that drew 1,500. I assume that's the one Cena was referring to. He wasn't on it though

No Mercy that year was scheduled for Washington, then got moved for some reason.

Obviously something to Cena's statement, even though he used the worst scenario to generalise an entire era.

Edited by The Dart

Really enjoyed that Cena interview. How anybody can dislike the guy I dunno. Everytime he talks you do get the sense that he lives for the business, I mean hes taking fucking Manderin lessons to help expansion into China. Thats dedication.

Agree with this. The man is a machine and seems a very decent person too. People are just tired of the same old stuff and it's not his fault there aren't more stars around him to share the work load.

Listening to JR's first podcast with Stone Cold and it's great. Both talking very openly as you would expect.

• Paid Members

Dutch Mantel's interview was awesome on the Steve Austin show. Start to finish is brilliant. Didn't know Zeb was Undertaker's best man at one of his weddings. Amazing considering the effect he'd had on the careers of some of the WWF's biggest names (Austin, Undertaker, Kane etc.), that he never had a job for years and years. He doesn't say it on this, but Dutch said on his shoot interview that Bret Hart got him sacked as a road agent in the mid-90s because "he'd never worked in the big leagues". Madness considering how much respect he has from pretty much everyone.

Delighted for all his success in the last year. He's a great man. I remember when he left TNA, he was hussling like fuck to get his books sold and wasn't really in demand on the indies because not many people had a clue who he was. Now my niece knows who he is. He's more famous than ever. Glad to see he's apart of the culture. Hoping he gets a long run out of it. Always seemed a genuine bloke. Dutch being in TNA for years and they didn't use him as a character is unreal looking back. He'd have been up there with their best promos. He'd have been great when Abyss was first starting. Abyss could have been the Leatherface and Dutch could have been the weird old grandpa sending his charge after the babyfaces.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Dutch is a weird one. His career is one I know bits and pieces about but he's always come across great in interviews. When he cropped up as Zeb Coulter, I thought that was fantastic to see him on TV even though I knew little to much about him. It's great to see him on TV, he provided me with a spit take when he came out for the Rumble with his signs, especially the second one. Superb he is.