When was the first time wrestling broke your heart?

air_raid

Am I the only person who was ecstatically happy when Hulk saved the day at WM9 then? I was made up. Screw Bret, HERE COMES THE CALVARY!

I fell asleep and didn't believe the first person who told me that had happened (it was my nephew, a dodgy little shit even at the age of about six and now a full-fledged robber and low-level scam artist), but when a neighbour verified it, I was chuffed.

I watched the next day's episode of Raw last night for the first time and what a load of shit it was. I know times were different and Superstars was still the main show, but the Raw had nothing from Hogan or Bret, one backstage interview with Yoko and Fuji where they didn't say anything, and the main event was Jerry Lawler vs Jim Powers. Which took three goes to start. They addressed next to nothing from WrestleMania, outside of commentary. I was nearly ready to ring the hotline for results and comments. Was that Raw pre-taped before WrestleMania?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember watching the Raw after Rumble 94 recently and that was definitely taped before. For such an eventful PPV they just totally left all the main stuff alone and ran some inconsequential jobber matches. Glad at least it's not like that now, the reaction often does more for the events of the PPV than the show itself.

I'm with those who loved the Hogan ending to Mania 9. I was totally down with the Hitman but Hulk was still The Man for me then, so when Bret said "go get him" I was over the moon. Then he turned up in WCW with his red and yellow car (like a turncoat Noddy) and broke my heart.

• Paid Members
I'm with those who loved the Hogan ending to Mania 9. I was totally down with the Hitman but Hulk was still The Man for me then, so when Bret said "go get him" I was over the moon. Then he turned up in WCW with his red and yellow car (like a turncoat Noddy) and broke my heart.

Arrows.

For me it was Hulk Hogan's heel turn in 96, as he was the whole reason I got into wrestling in the first place so to see him turn on Savage, Sting and every Hulkamaniac was a bitter pill to swallow as an 11 year old. I still liked him and thought he made a great heel but couldn't take to seeing him in anything but the red and yellow

• Paid Members
Am I the only person who was ecstatically happy when Hulk saved the day at WM9 then? I was made up. Screw Bret, HERE COMES THE CALVARY!

Seemed like the perfecting ending to me. The all American hero returns to sort the big Jap out. Hogan's return was what was selling the PPV anyway.

I remember waking up my uncle at 3am on a Monday morning watching this live as a 9 year old. Aye, I was made up as well.

Was mightily pissed off he only lasted till King of the Ring though, and don't recall him wrestling any matches inbetween.

• Paid Members
I was happy as shit to see Hogan walk out and save the day, too. I only ever wanted Hogan as champ. That's how it was supposed to be.

I always remember thinking how very half hearted and insincere Bret's "Yeah Hulk, go sort him out" bit was as well. Even as a child I could tell he wasn't happy. Fuck it though, Hulkamania ruled all.

me too, i remember almost having tears of joy when Real American hit after Hogan dropped the leg...that was one of my favorite moments in wrestling ever, bar none. In hindsight i can see why it pissed people off but at the the time it was such a unexpected turn of events i couldn't help but be drawn into it...

"common Hogan ya yellow belly"

OH ITS FUCKING ON NOW!!!

wrestlemania9b.jpg

look at that crowd when Hogan gets the pin! I lost my tiny little mind at home when that happened.

Two things, rockers splitting up and hbk turning on his friend and psrtner and the other was taker locking warrior in the casket, seeing the scenes of officials trying to pry open the casket and the the official with the drill

• Paid Members
Two things, rockers splitting up and hbk turning on his friend and psrtner and the other was taker locking warrior in the casket, seeing the scenes of officials trying to pry open the casket and the the official with the drill

I used to cheer all the faces.....except one.

I hated the Ultimate Warrior with a passion so thought that was pretty awesome!

Crush turning on savage and dropping him throat first on the guardrail upset me as a child. Was a bit violent compared to the other clown assed cartoon crap I was used to seeing.

I remember being a huge Razor Ramon fan and feeling really nervous at wrestlemania 10 about the ladder match with Michaels. I had to hide in the other room when diesel got involved, my mum kept shouting through he is fighting back so I would run back through only for him to get rattled with the ladder only for me to run back in the other room. I can remember making a pact with god that if he won I would be good forever... Well he won and I think my pact lasted around 15 mins as when Bret beat Yoko I jumped on my Aunties coffee table and smashed it. My bad god u got swerved!

As I only got hugely into wrestling at around 13-14, I didnt really get the chance to have my heart broken from storyline losses etc. However a more recent one which more pissed me off than broke my heart was in 2009. For some reason I had been dying for years to see the undertaker and jericho tie it up, hoped it would be a huge PPV match and then they gave the fucker away on Smackdown. For me this was up there in dream match territory and they just threw it out on TV.

As I only got hugely into wrestling at around 13-14, I didnt really get the chance to have my heart broken from storyline losses etc. However a more recent one which more pissed me off than broke my heart was in 2009. For some reason I had been dying for years to see the undertaker and jericho tie it up, hoped it would be a huge PPV match and then they gave the fucker away on Smackdown. For me this was up there in dream match territory and they just threw it out on TV.

And it was dull. I was at that show and remember thinking how disinterested the crowd were for something they could have probably one day put some stock in to.

Archived