When was the first time wrestling broke your heart?

air_raid

For me it was Wrestlemania 7 when The Hulkster fought Sgt Slaughter. Watching it a few years after it happened, i knew that wrestlers bladed but didnt really know how/when...THEN i re-watched Hogan/Sarge and Hulks BLATANT blade job felt like my childhood innocence had finally been ripped from me. The fact you can trace it all the way back to Earl Hebner giving him the blade, then picking it up afterwards just destroyed my suspension of belief.....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The whole stamping when punching thing did it for me. And being told it was fake of course.

As above, being told it was fake. As my friend was passing me a VHS copy of that week's Monday Nitro, he told me to watch Randy Savage's elbow drop at the start of the show. And that was it.

Also, i was a huge HBK mark, so when he turned heel in '97 i refused to believe it was happening and felt personally betrayed by him.

• Paid Members
Bob Backlund's title win at Survivor Series 94

My mate's Mom taped this for me. Backlund was before my time, he was a nobody in my eyes here. Just a little weirdly shaped, old looking bloke with crap blue briefs on. Like I said we didn't have Sky so I didn't really know who Backlund was. To me he looked like the type of wrestler Sonny Trout or Sgt Buddy Lee Parker might actually beat and that was all I needed to know. I thought Bret would batter him.

Then Bulldog headbutted the steps and lay there for what seemed like 4 hours while Owen looked on quite obviously distraught at apparently killing Davey Boy. I was convinced Owen Hart had finally seen the light and was sorry for being a little shit for the last 10 months. Then came the big swerve.

bobbacklund-sseries94.jpg

I think I actually declared I'd never watch wrestling again that night, such was the catastrophy in my 9 year old eyes of Bret losing and this fucker holding the belt. Thankfully Diesel put right that wrong in seconds a few weeks later and I was able to move on.

The other one in the WWF that got me was when the Warrior got screwed out the title at Royal Rumble 91. I didn't forgive Savage for a good while after.

I was a right snivveling little twat of a wrestling fan as a kid.

That's quite funny because I really bought into Bob Backlund's return and thought it was cool that a 43 year old was making a comeback. Despite his heel turn, even as a 10 year old I felt pretty pleased for the old guy.

When Paul Bearer turned on Undertaker at Summerslam 1996, especially when me and my friend figure out Taker should've technically won. Bad times, looking back it's weird to see Mick Foley as a genuinely scary character rather than Uncle Mick.

Next one was probably when Austin turned on Angle in Invasion main event. I was genuinely shocked and appalled.

• Paid Members

Tremendous opening post there air_raid. I was gripped by that match myself as a child and is one of the significant matches that made me adore The Hitman. Two of the other significant ones being his two IC title wins. Certainly the master for me at making it all seem completely real.

On the talk of Backlund above, I remember watching Vince interview him and talking about his past accomplishments and the fact he'd previously held the big belt for years and only lost it due to shenanigans. He was being painted as a proper shit-hot wrestler. I was shit scared for my favourites and bricking it that he was going to waltz in a take the belt from Bret. Then he turned up and he looked old and rubbish and walked with his arse sticking out and generally totally lame and my fears vanished.

Then a couple of years later my previous long forgotten nightmares came back to shockingly return from nowhere and become a reality. :(

• Moderators

The worst thing about that Bret Hart vs Bob Backlund match was how fucking long it was, or at least seemed. I think it's still going on now. One of my least favourite matches ever. They never seemed to click for me, out of the original Superstars match.

Wrestlemania 20

After a year of watching wrestling, my first full year watching everything, I could not be more pumped for this show. It failed to deliver. Taker return was meh, Brock vs Goldberg stunk, Evolution vs Rock/Sock was quite boring and the show was 6 days long. A bit weird to let a show break your heart but I really think this would be a homerun.

Tuned into TNA for a while, then MMA. Started watching/following the wrestling bizz again in 2009.

And the award for "Missed The Point A Bit" goes to :

I get the point of the topic but missing something I had been looking forward to was my first moment of feeling like the world had ended due to wrestling. I suppose being 9 years old when the title scene consisted of The Rock, Triple H and Stone Cold meant that I wasn't subjected to the heartbreak of seeing the clean cut good guys such as Hogan and Bret being cheated as despite hating Shane O'Mac and co for trying to cheat The Rock I still loved the fact he could fall off the tron and if Triple H won at least I still loved the pedigree and his entrance.

I guess that's the difference in era's a lot of us grew up with.

• Paid Members
hogan_001.jpg

This happened mid 1990, but I'm unsure of when it was broadcast in the UK or if I saw it on one of the videos I'd borrowed. I'll guess I was around 6 or 7 to avoid the blushes, but I can remember bawling my eyes out when I saw

Re-watching it now, I can remember exactly how that music haunted me as a child. I was convinced I would never see Hulk Hogan again. The closing locker at the end sealed it for me.

whilst we're on the subject:

09b_dirtydeeds.jpg

Earthquake was a right horrible prick :cry:

• Paid Members
Bob Backlund's title win at Survivor Series 94

My mate's Mom taped this for me. Backlund was before my time, he was a nobody in my eyes here. Just a little weirdly shaped, old looking bloke with crap blue briefs on. Like I said we didn't have Sky so I didn't really know who Backlund was. To me he looked like the type of wrestler Sonny Trout or Sgt Buddy Lee Parker might actually beat and that was all I needed to know. I thought Bret would batter him.

Then Bulldog headbutted the steps and lay there for what seemed like 4 hours while Owen looked on quite obviously distraught at apparently killing Davey Boy. I was convinced Owen Hart had finally seen the light and was sorry for being a little shit for the last 10 months. Then came the big swerve.

bobbacklund-sseries94.jpg

I think I actually declared I'd never watch wrestling again that night, such was the catastrophy in my 9 year old eyes of Bret losing and this fucker holding the belt. Thankfully Diesel put right that wrong in seconds a few weeks later and I was able to move on.

The other one in the WWF that got me was when the Warrior got screwed out the title at Royal Rumble 91. I didn't forgive Savage for a good while after.

I was a right snivveling little twat of a wrestling fan as a kid.

That's quite funny because I really bought into Bob Backlund's return and thought it was cool that a 43 year old was making a comeback. Despite his heel turn, even as a 10 year old I felt pretty pleased for the old guy.

this has probably been covered somewhere on the forum, but what was the story behind the Backlund title switch? even as a 10 year old kid i always thought it was f'n weird, especially the way they had him drop the belt on a house show legit. (ie. not an unrecognised switch). For someone as naive as me at the time i always thought it was a bit 'off'.

Archived