When was the first time wrestling broke your heart?

air_raid

I can't remember what PPV but a friend was going to tape it for my because I didn't have Sky Sports I was excited for it aswell. On the Monday I came into school really ill and had been vomiting all night. I dragged myself to school to collect the tape to find out he didn't put the right channel on the video player to record it and ended up recording what ever shite was on BBC2 that night. I was sick as a dog and needed to go home during the first break of the day due to being that ill. The lengths we go for wrestling ey?

Edit - It was Judgment Day 2004 where JBL first began Main Event. Fucking epic times

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in 2001, I was 11 years old and my mother was pretty reliable in recording the PPV's on VHS for me. She'd stay up late watching TV so she'd set it for me. Some Monday morning in November I was absolutely horrified to find she had forgot to record Survivor Series. I legitimately thought the WWF might go out of business, that was a hard pill to swallow. I'm pretty sure we had internet by then, but that's besides the point.

Long live the alliance!

• Paid Members

I'm trying to think of an incident that I would consider "heartbreaking". I can remember plenty of "Holy smoke" moments*, such as the Rockers split in the Barbershop, or The Undertaker giving Hogan a Tombstone onto a chair, or - the most incredibly shocking thing ever - Jake setting the snake onto Randy Savage, but I can't think of anything from that age that made me feel such deep sadness.

*I would have been grounded if I'd sworn.

when my dad taped summerslam when it was owen vs bret in the cage and my dad kept cheering for owen and cheered for when bulldog got his glasses smashed was about 7 or 8 cant remember but i was shocked when my dad was cheering,also my dad cheered for hogan vs yoko at king of the ring year before and he lost i cried for the first and last time all in all my dad was over for the heels even at the asw shows in scunthorpe lol

Well really when I started watching wrestling I always knew it was predetermined and so on and I can't say I suffered heartbreak at anything in ring or anything like someone not winning a match or Title or a tag team splitting up. I only really started properly watching wrestling around 1999 and missed the whole Owen Hart tragedy so for me I have to genuinely say it was when Eddie Guerrero passed away. I was actually at college, don't think I'd ever properly cried due to wrestling. Even as a young kid at primary school when I began watching when I was around 10 I never cried due to wrestling, but the night I logged onto my computer and saw on a wrestling forum that Eddie Guerrero had died I was shocked, then when I scrambled to WWE.com to see if it was true, praying it was some sick joke by someone on the forum I was speechless. I remember going downstairs in disbelief and telling anyone who was there to listen (even though none of them even watched wrestling) and then trying to fight back the tears before going upstairs, locking my door and I just started crying. I've never reacted that way hearing about the death of a celebrity or someone who I watch on TV or in films or who's music I listen to but I've never actually met before. I'd never reacted like that to it before Eddie Guerrero died or after Eddie Guerrero died, even Chris Benoit when we didn't know what he had actually done, just that he'd died. I just think Eddie was one of those guys who I genuinely felt for, he was the real underdog, he was a real favourite of mine and watching the guy every week on TV I suppose just made it feel to me like he was going to be there for a long time. I suppose I got comfortable thinking Eddie would be there for a long time and I took it for granted but it wasn't until hearing about his death and not seeing him on TV anymore that I realised even our heroes can't beat death. Therefore, it may not be a match, angle or a storyline but for me that is the first true time wrestling broke my heart, at the age of 17.

I was gutted when Yokozuna beat Hulk Hogan too but I was sure Hogan would get his revenge but he didnt and just left the WWF

Which is why when this came around I genuinely thought it was the end of the Undertaker. He has Yokozuna beat at the Rumble and then not only did they snatch away his victory but he also appeared to die! I was dead upset my other favourite wrestler was gone at the hands of Yoko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuslLsd1q9E

• Paid Members

Some great replies so far lads. Really appreciated. Remarkably really how a match or angle could be crafted to really emotionally effect people, even a young age.

And the award for "Missed The Point A Bit" goes to :

The first time I was a wreck because of wrestling was when I wrongly thought I'd put the video recorder on slow play to record Backlash 2000.

Finding out that Wrestlemania 16, my first Wrestlemania as a WWF fan, was not being shown on Channel 4 for free like the Rumble was.

I dragged myself to school to collect the tape to find out he didn't put the right channel on the video player to record it

Some Monday morning in November I was absolutely horrified to find she had forgot to record Survivor Series.

You can each have the trophy for three months each. Please dust the crisp fragments off before you pass it on.

• Paid Members

My Dad being the tight sod he was, we didn't have Sky for most of the time when I was at the age where wrestling could have this kind of effect on me. The only WWF I got to see back then was either at a mate's house or Coliseum Video releases.

So I grew up pretty much solely on ITV's WCW coverage and a couple of things spring to mind for me.

Vader taking Sting's title

Of course, we never got the WCW PPVs over here and this wasn't in the days where you could find stuff out online. So I was quite shocked and very gutted to switch on WCW Worldwide and be greeted with a highlight package of the Great American Bash which ended with this sight...

3061428195_1_17_L9pdFzgG.jpg

As a little stinger, I was very upset.

Scott Steiner becoming a baddie

I loved the Steiners. I'm fairly certain the first ever wrestling match I saw was a Steiners squash match on Worldwide. The bright colourful outfits, the flashy suplexes, Scott's Frankensteiner, Rick's rather fetching headgear/odd boots combo, DDTing poor fuckers off each other's shoulders and all that...these two and the Turtles quickly became my favourite things to watch on TV as a 7 or 8 year old.

steinerbrothers2.jpg

They were throwing the weekend warriors like Sonny Trout and the Italian Stallion around like frisbees on a weekly basis and it was clear they were the scariest men on the planet. After a few months of them and the equally hard as nails team of Dr Death and Terry Gordy knocking seven shades out of each other, the Steiners disappeared for a bit.

Then I settle down for Worldwide one day to find Rick's not about and Scott's teaming with Marcus Bagwell for some reason. They're facing the Hollywood Blondes. And Scott just decides midway through to batter his new team mate and leave him on his own to lose to Austin and Pillman. I thought there must be a reasonable explanation.

The next week during an interview with Jesse Ventura, Scott shows no remorse. It's obvious he's gone over to the darkside. He's a baddie. He was fighting Ricky Steamboat so I knew he'd gone bad.

I couldn't believe it. Then after that it was never brought up again on TV I don't think, if it was I didn't hear it, and the next I saw of Scott he was back with his brother in the WWF. High fiving fans on the way to the ring while this cheery tune played....

I was very confused but happy to assume it had all been a bad dream.

And I definitely threw a bit of a wobbler when Barry Windham turned on Dustin Rhodes as well.

Bob Backlund's title win at Survivor Series 94

My mate's Mom taped this for me. Backlund was before my time, he was a nobody in my eyes here. Just a little weirdly shaped, old looking bloke with crap blue briefs on. Like I said we didn't have Sky so I didn't really know who Backlund was. To me he looked like the type of wrestler Sonny Trout or Sgt Buddy Lee Parker might actually beat and that was all I needed to know. I thought Bret would batter him.

Then Bulldog headbutted the steps and lay there for what seemed like 4 hours while Owen looked on quite obviously distraught at apparently killing Davey Boy. I was convinced Owen Hart had finally seen the light and was sorry for being a little shit for the last 10 months. Then came the big swerve.

bobbacklund-sseries94.jpg

I think I actually declared I'd never watch wrestling again that night, such was the catastrophy in my 9 year old eyes of Bret losing and this fucker holding the belt. Thankfully Diesel put right that wrong in seconds a few weeks later and I was able to move on.

The other one in the WWF that got me was when the Warrior got screwed out the title at Royal Rumble 91. I didn't forgive Savage for a good while after.

I was a right snivveling little twat of a wrestling fan as a kid.

Archived