Rebuilding the WWE in Five ways or less

Fatty Facesitter

Do it not at all. For me, I can pinpoint the decline of my interest in WWE to two particular moments - the start of the brand split and the Benoit incident. The brand split added a level of artifice to WWE programming that I've always found bizarre and offputting. If it had been WWE and WCW, with separate rosters and programming, then it might have made sense, but what we have had for the last 5 years or so is just, well, absolute shite and the pretense is broken with such regularity that I can't see there are any positives to it any more.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously these arn't realistic, but here goes:

1) Scrap Smackdown and Superstars. They're both a waste of time and space. When was the last great Smackdown moment?

2) You only need three belts. WWE, Intercontinental and Tag. Scrap the rest. Even the Divas.

3) Change their policy when it comes to hiring new talent. That story about them not hiring Austin Aries because of his age beggars belief. I look at somebody as good as Jake the Snake and think if he came along now, would he get hired? All they seem to hire are young athletic guys, I want some variety.

4) More gimmicks and characters. TNA has got this spot-on at the moment - there's hardly ever a match 'just because'. WWE is the exact opposite, matches for matches sake. Make sure every match has a point.

5) Put the World Title on Mark Henry.

Right. If you actually look at what I said its more an exercise in bringing new people in from sources outside the independent wrestling scene. I said unkown guys and picked an absolute random off the top of my head. Sue me if I actually meant unknown when I said it. (I also said guys who are known, but I guess we'll ignore that.) I wasn't suggesting WWE throw loads of money at Popek in particular, he was a random example. In fact the reason I said unknown was because they would be able to pick them up for next to no money. You could get 20 unknown MMA guys for the prices of 1 known. Makes business sense to me if you are hoping to bolster the roster, seeing as out of that 20 only 5 might actually make it to the roster. People always moan that wrestlers dont look like guys you wouldn't pick a fight with. I pick someone you defiantly wouldn't throw a punch at and everyone shits over it. Well done for taking a random example as a literal "they need this guy!"

And for the record, yes I do think this is a big money feud

popek-monster-okladka.jpg

eyeback2.jpg

They would be quick to train because they are used to being in a gym and learning moves and with good conditioning. Similar as to how NCAA guys tend to do quite well. Camera experience was because they are not camera shy and dont have a problem being on TV in front of crowds. Having 3 MMA matches is enough for WWE to tell its audience they are a former MMA fighter if they want to. They tell people Barrat is a former bare knuckle boxer after all.

Or they could just hire a bunch of skinny flippy guys off the indy circuit

They want to go back to the days when they were hiring guys that the boys would meet down at Gold's Gym or bouncing on the doors of strip clubs.

I dont see how that would be a super duper investment who'd be guaranteed to be easier to train, know how to work for the hard camera and the other intangibles required to be a success in the world of mainstream US wrestling

• Paid Members
Having 3 MMA matches is enough for WWE to tell its audience they are a former MMA fighter if they want to.

Alberto Del Rio is a former MMA fighter. But they don't tell people he's fought professionally, because its fake and the audience don't care if you are a real fighter.

They tell people Barrat is a former bare knuckle boxer after all.

Because its fake and the audience don't care if you are a real fighter.

Having 3 MMA matches is enough for WWE to tell its audience they are a former MMA fighter if they want to.

Alberto Del Rio is a former MMA fighter. But they don't tell people he's fought professionally, because its fake and the audience don't care if you are a real fighter.

They tell people Barrat is a former bare knuckle boxer after all.

Because its fake and the audience don't care if you are a real fighter.

Really?

Edit: You can't piss all over shit credentials one minute then shout about how they don't matter the next

• Paid Members
They want to go back to the days when they were hiring guys that the boys would meet down at Gold's Gym or bouncing on the doors of strip clubs.

I dont see how that would be a super duper investment who'd be guaranteed to be easier to train, know how to work for the hard camera and the other intangibles required to be a success in the world of mainstream US wrestling

There's no guaranteed formula for success. Look and charisma are the most important elements. Anyone can learn to run the ropes and perform a body slam.

There's no guaranteed formula for success. Look and charisma are the most important elements. Anyone can learn to run the ropes and perform a body slam.

I was actually taking the piss out of something Butch said with sarcasm. Our points were actually the same

• Paid Members

I was actually taking the piss out of something Butch said with sarcasm. Our points were actually the same

I thought your point was that they should hire MMA guys?

I thought your point was that they should hire MMA guys?

Well its looking for guys outside the wrestling business you think would fit in. Today that is MMA compared to gyms and strip clubs. I picked up on what you said because it emphasized the point that some of the best draws ever haven't come from wrestling backgrounds, and were brought in and trained from scratch

Archived