Rebuilding the WWE in Five ways or less

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
I admit I may be wrong but it is my idea of how the lower card talent could be utilised.

Well Castignoli can cut promos in is it 6 languages? You could get him over in Europe as a babyface and like Hart did, he could then cut anti american promos but still remain face outside of the US.

Other than cutting the lower card talent does anyone else see a better alternative to NXT and Superstars?

So, he goes and wrestles and cuts promos in foreign in Europe on a show not televised in America, and that gets him over on Raw and Smackdown with North American audiences how exactly?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's bizzare that the biggest wrestling company in the world probably has by far the worst in ring product than all the international / national promotions. No matter what storylines you have, if it doesn't lead to a good match then it will mean very little. Even if you are afraid to let the guys go hell for leather every night, at least remove the limitations and let them pull out all the stops on PPV or big TV matches.

There's very little wrong with the WWE in terms of in-ring action, that's one aspect that the WWE have absolutely no problem with. Pretty much everyone on the roster is easily capable of putting on good matches in a mechanical sense, and most do so on a regular basis. Top end matches in particular are generally fantastic, and many more would be too if they could give the masses a reason to care for them. I don't have the answer to that problem, but i'm pretty certain that more moves, a quicker pace and less time for fans to digest what's happening isn't going to have any positive effect.

The WWE aren't an indie, thankfully.

It's bizzare that the biggest wrestling company in the world probably has by far the worst in ring product than all the international / national promotions. No matter what storylines you have, if it doesn't lead to a good match then it will mean very little. Even if you are afraid to let the guys go hell for leather every night, at least remove the limitations and let them pull out all the stops on PPV or big TV matches.

There's very little wrong with the WWE in terms of in-ring action, that's one aspect that the WWE have absolutely no problem with. Pretty much everyone on the roster is easily capable of putting on good matches in a mechanical sense, and most do so on a regular basis. Top end matches in particular are generally fantastic, and many more would be too if they could give the masses a reason to care for them. I don't have the answer to that problem, but i'm pretty certain that more moves, a quicker pace and less time for fans to digest what's happening isn't going to have any positive effect.

The WWE aren't an indie, thankfully.

Depends what you look for in matches i guess but I find the WWE style incredibly slow, boring and fails to generate any excitment. I've not spoken to many others who actually thinks the current in ring action is that good but each ot their own.

I think if some of the quality of matches you see on the indies happened on WWE PPV people would proclaim them as the best matches the company has had in years. WWE crowd is bored and drifiting away more and more, I think they need something fresh and exciting.

• Paid Members

1. Turn Randy Orton heel - Randy Orton is a quality heel, and when he's a heel he generally flourishes in top storylines, or at least has purpose. I could not name you one single thing Randy has done as a face, where as when he was a heel he had things like being in Evolution, being a Legend Killer, braying in the Mcmahons, taking Rey Mysterio's spot at Wrestlemania and ripping into the freshly-dead Eddie, and so on.

Give him a good enough turn and you have a great feud ready with people like Sheamus, Cena, or even people like Kofi or Ryback.

2. Give more focus to the tag division - I don't mean in the way they're just putting teams on TV with not much in the way of storylines, but use the teams they're building and have them in actual feuds. Even the Rhodes Scholars vs Hell No rivalry feels shot together, and that's a feud over the belts. They need more tag teams hanging with singles wrestlers too, or being part of a stable. Just because you have a team name and had a shot at the belts doesn't make you a good or well built team.

3. End the draft split - Nobody cares about the World Heavyweight Championship and Smackdown in general is bland. The split is virtually non-existent now anyway aside from a few top guys, so just unify the belts and get on with it. The likes of John Cena and CM Punk showing up on Smackdown would get ratings and improve quality. It'd also give more time to build feuds.

4. Stick with pushes - E.G. Tyson Kidd. The guy was getting crucial time on Raw to develop and make a small name for himself. He beat Tensai (who I think was undefeated at that point, or at least still getting a big push) and then gave the win back the next week and was never seen again. What's the point? If you're starting to build someone, keep building, don't give up after a week. They even stuck him in the MITB match and gave him a good showing, but then he got nothing from that either.

5. Have more storylines - There's too many times where guys will feud but other nothing, they'll just trade wins and losses until it doesn't mean anything. Give them some reason to fight over.

There is so much wrong that you could go on forever but for just 5;

By far the biggest problem - Get rid of the 'WWE style' and it's limitations to allow the guys to have good matches again.

Other 4 main points;

- Let the guys have more creative control over their own character, story and promos, give them room to develope themselves rather than scripted promos and the garbage the writers produce. All the best characters are the ones that the guys developed themselves.

- Stop giving away so mutch on TV and endless rematches that don't mean anything. It doesn't build anticipation or excitment How many times do you have a feud that begins and ends in weeks or match on PPV then have a rematch on free tv the next night?

- Cut down to PPV; Just have Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, King of the Ring, Summer Slam, Survivor Series in their traditional formats and maybe a couple of specials throughout the year so you can have time to build excitment and anticipation to big matches and allow feuds to build over time.

- Turn Cena heel, it's going to be huge if done right. Or if they insist he has to stay face for merch sales then stop making everything revolve around Cena. No problem with him being involved but not the main focus of everything.

Other stuff that would help but maybe not as important as the main 5;

- Unify all titles, just have world, intercontinental and tag and make them all mean something again.

- Put Hero and Claudio back together and reboot tag team division. Make tag wrestling matter again.

- Get Hero, Moxley, Black, Pac, etc on TV and push them, they will be new and exciting to the audience.

- Make brand split complately seperate and have rivallries with each other, make big deal of show where they all go against each other with occasional and inter brand feuds throught the year.

You sound like the ultimate internet wrestling fan.

If I am honest I think that less is more. I know these points have been said but my tuppence worth is:

In an ideal world:

1. One two hour show a week - Raw. This would make me want to watch wrestling and look forward to it rather than having something to watch pretty much every night of the week.

2. Unify titles: world, intercontinental, tag, King of the Ring (I used to love that!), Diva, Hardcore (yeah, bring that back) and have longer reigns for champs.

3. 5 pay per views per year which t.v build feuds up for and have blow off matches happen at: 'Mania, Summerslam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble and King of the Ring.

4. Tag TEAMS with real tag wrestlers not thrown together teams. I think it is the matching outfits and moves that require both partners that no one else does - doomsday device, that running clothesline thing the Hart Foundation used to do I miss.

5. Slim roster down / rotate them via story lines

6. More story telling and feuds that last - like when the Bulldogs had Matilda stolen or some arrogant prick legs it with the belt through the crowd because he was annoyed and his contract was up.

7. Have an off season - let wrestlers rest or heal and make us anticipate crave wrestling like I used to back in the 90's.

Now I know this will never happen as it is a business and businesses want to make money but I thought I would share my limited opinions.

• Paid Members
- Put Hero and Claudio back together and reboot tag team division. Make tag wrestling matter again.

- Get Hero, Moxley, Black, Pac, etc on TV and push them, they will be new and exciting to the audience.

You're going to deserve everything you get.

The internet is more prevalent than ever before and the way they are doing things right now doesn't seem like it is yielding as much success as it once did, maybe the whole 'internet fan' / 'smart fan' / 'casual fan' dynamic has evolved and it's not as clear a line as it once was and shouldn't be treated as such. With You tube, ippv, etc fans with an interest in wrestling probably are seeing more stuff outside of what the WWE provides and are more clued in about various aspects of the business than ever before. I think there is more common ground between what smart / internet and casual fans would both appreciate than people realise.

Obviously there are some difference between what different fan bases would appreciate and to what level they would appreciate it, but smart and casual fans alike loved the WCW cruiser weights and the older TNA X Division stuff and they were pretty much the type of faster paced, more exciting style a lot of guys work on the indies work. So I think there is a case that fans would like to see more exciting in ring action and when the product has lost so many fans over recent years why not try stepping up the in ring action and see if it brings fans back and makes the existing fans happier?

There are so many wrestling fans who don't find appeal in WWE. Companies like ROH, PWG, DGUSA, etc only exist because they fill a gap in the market for different type of wrestling that WWE doesn't offer. If you are the wrestling biggest company in the world why ignore and dismiss part of the market? It's not to say you completely pander to a market, it's not like you can only do it they way they do it now or just do a high budget ROH show, there is middle ground. You could certainly make some alterations so the product is more appealing to an audience that is there and they currently don't catered for.

• Paid Members
Depends what you look for in matches i guess but I find the WWE style incredibly slow, boring and fails to generate any excitment. I've not spoken to many others who actually thinks the current in ring action is that good but each ot their own.

I think if some of the quality of matches you see on the indies happened on WWE PPV people would proclaim them as the best matches the company has had in years. WWE crowd is bored and drifiting away more and more, I think they need something fresh and exciting.

The problem with that is that working an "Indy" style on a WWE schedule would just lead to a lot more injuries and much shorter careers.

WWE's major problems (lack of interesting characters, storylines that help no one and killing things that get over unexpectantly) are entirely the responsibility of the Creative department so that's where any changes need to happen. Changing the in-ring style would just mean guys would be doing themselves even more damage in front of fans that don't care.

The problem with that is that working an "Indy" style on a WWE schedule would just lead to a lot more injuries and much shorter careers.

WWE's major problems (lack of interesting characters, storylines that help no one and killing things that get over unexpectantly) are entirely the responsibility of the Creative department so that's where any changes need to happen. Changing the in-ring style would just mean guys would be doing themselves even more damage in front of fans that don't care.

I'm aware you couldn't do it all the time on WWE schedule, but like I said in my initial post I think they could certainly up their game more often, even just on PPV's a big TV matches and still take it easy on house shows and regular tv stuff.

The fans not caring part is debatable, it's assumed casual fans can't tell the difference between good or bad wrestling, but I think a lot of them might appreciate a change up in the wrestling style than people would give them credit for.

• Paid Members

You know when people say Dean Ambrose is supposedly off TV because "they are waiting for the right storyline". What does that even mean? Who are they waiting to deliver the "right storyline"? They are writing the shows. Surely its not that hard to debut a wrestler you are into? Its been a good 12 months that he's supposed to have debuted. What's the holdup? This has Nick Dinsmore wrote all over it. "They are just waiting for a storyline and watch this kid fly. Like a young Chris Benoit with a beard". If they can't find something for him on a three hour show when the talent depth is knackered, when will we see him?

Archived