Jump to content

The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread


EdgarTheSlouch

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Smackdown was a great show between that 2002-03 period but from 2004 onwards i thought it became so shite that i would only watch Raw. When they booked JBL as a main event player and putting the title on him killed Smackdown for me.

Nah, not having that. Sure, I did a double take when JBL was given the nod given his so-so run with the company in all the years he was there, but his SmackDown! title run was immense. I'm not sure how he performed on top numbers wise (nor do I care really), but the man was an absolute hoot. He was making people laugh one minute and could have nuclear heat the next. His facials and mic time during the original One Night Stand PPV was some of the best stuff on that show.

 

He may be a bit shit on commentary these days but fuck, I really miss having him as champion. I'd post a pic of the great man himself with the belt but can't quite figure out how to do it on my phone. Someone else do it for me.

  • Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Posted

JBL kept Smackdown afloat for me in late 2004-early 2005. Aside from his title reign Smackdown was pretty dire around that time. When you had 20 minute Tough Enough segments opening the show, the crappy split between Kidman and Paul London where Kidman sulked for weeks because he injured Chavo, Jackie and Dawn Marie fighting over Charlie Haas, Kenzo Suzuki and Rene Dupree as tag champs.

 

JBL's title run was the only interesting thing about the show for me. He had a couple of really good TV matches with Kurt Angle around that time as well, if I'm remembering right. Only thing that was shit about him was he was saddled with the Bashams and Orlando Jordan. He deserved better than that shower.

  • Paid Members
Posted

No matter how much you disliked Bradshaw before the run or thought he wasn't a fitting champ, I don't think anyone could deny he grew into the role brilliantly. He cut money promos and he carried his end of big matches. Smackdown was dire at the time so there wasn't an undercard to help nor many main event guys to oppose him but he definitely made the best of the situation.

 

I say that as someone who took a long time to come around to him as champion. Agree on the 'cabinet' though. Easily one of wrestling's worst ever stables!

  • Moderators
Posted

Who was the chick in the cabinet, the brunette? She was nice, and never actually said or did anything other than stand around looking hot. Amy Webber, I think..?

 

OJ and the Bashams were worthless though.

 

Add me to the list of people who hated Bradshaw winning the title off Eddie at first and then completely came around to his title run and his transition to the JBL character.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Who was the chick in the cabinet, the brunette? She was nice, and never actually said or did anything other than stand around looking hot. Amy Webber, I think..?

Yeah, Amy Weber with one b. Really gorgeous but slightly peculiar looking. I like that though, makes her more interesting.

 

Looked tiny next to JBL. Like he'd break her in half.

Posted

Amy Weber left WWE because she claimed many of the wrestlers were trying it on with her. She said that WWE behind the scenes was like a frat house.

 

Wasn't she thought to be one of the victims of Randy Orton's bag shitting?

  • Paid Members
Posted

 the crappy split between Kidman and Paul London where Kidman sulked for weeks because he injured Chavo

 

Truly one of my most hated storylines ever. Kidman being too scared to do his finsher because he injured Chavo...the whole point of wrestling is to hurt your opponent with your finisher so you can get the win. The whole thing made no sense. And Kidman's shooting star was always terrible too so I don't think anyone cared that he stopped doing it. And London/Kidman were such a pair of jobbers no one cared that they were splitting up. Still to this day thoughts of that lazy shitty story pisses me off.

Posted

The Smackdown Six were Edge, Rey Mysterio, Chavo and Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit. There was a period where there were some outstanding matches between these six in singles and tag matches. Then you had a young Brock Lesnar on top. I'd stopped watching by this point unfortunately but going back over it, it was a great time for Smackdown. 

Cheers.  Never heard of them referred to as the Smackdown 6, but I think this was a time that I wasn't watching very much of WWE either.  But yeah, you can imagine the 6 of them having cracking matches together, plus Brock too.

Posted

It's only really been bounced around again recently with Heyman's DVD release and interviews he's done relating to that.

That's the period were Heyman was Smackdown 's lead writer, so that would go to explain why they were positioned as they were

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...