Bradford Wrestling Alliance

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trouble is people think they've made it when they wrestle on these shit shows and think theres nothing else for them to learn as they know it all. If a guy takes a booking early in his/her career to get experience then fair enough but they really need to realise that these shows are the very minor leagues and if they want to be a wrestler then they have a lot further to go. If a wrestler doesn't aspire to get the point where they can perform at the levels of El Ligero, Kris Travis, Noam Dar and others then they are pissing on every paying customer who goes to there shows. I know wrestlers who have wrestled on these shows and think there amazing just because there getting a spot in the rumble. I also know wrestlers who wrestle on these shows who are constantly seeking advice from the real veterans of this business in order to better themselves physically and improve their inring ability. Just saying that as much crap that we get in these shows there are a few lads who are really trying.

As far as people who just "do it for fun" they need to realise its not about you having fun, its about people who pay for tickets to have fun watching you.

NGW, PCW, WAW, IPW, PBW, ICW, GPW etc etc.

Right there, you've named another problem which I consider huge in this country. Along with ASW, you have eight major promotions in total. Eight! The term is over-saturation, is it not? And it's ego that stops many of these merging and putting shows out as a newly-formed, bigger entity that could theoretically run the British Scene for years to come.

But you're defending a new "promotion" by saying promotion's should merge and that it's already oversaturated?

My opinion, Shit wrestlers and trainees should spend more time training to improve to gain more bookings rather then putting on piss poor shows with other trainees/shitarses with little money just to wrestle on a show.

What i don't get is he is saying there is 8 big promotions from the name all star and the ones listed. What he doesn't understand is obviously the promotions target towards different audiences. Then the guy talks about "underground" companies ICW was listed there to which he claims is a top promotion however to me there are three/four of these underground promotions in FCP, ICW, Progress and Lucha Britannia. Also he speak about the same rosters are getting booked with different companies, they may be being booked elsewhere, however these bookings are different, somewhere could have say El Ligero Vs Nathan Cruz, where another could put Nathan Cruz against someone else and El Ligero against someone else.

What i don't get is he is saying there is 8 big promotions from the name all star and the ones listed. What he doesn't understand is obviously the promotions target towards different audiences. Then the guy talks about "underground" companies ICW was listed there to which he claims is a top promotion however to me there are three/four of these underground promotions in FCP, ICW, Progress and Lucha Britannia. Also he speak about the same rosters are getting booked with different companies, they may be being booked elsewhere, however these bookings are different, somewhere could have say El Ligero Vs Nathan Cruz, where another could put Nathan Cruz against someone else and El Ligero against someone else.

Also I could have mentioned so many others that are thriving too. The list would have been too long which goes to show that British wrestling is heading in the right direction. It could move that bit quicker if the shitarse companies would do one.

As far as people who just "do it for fun" they need to realise its not about you having fun, its about people who pay for tickets to have fun watching you.

Nail on the fucking head! Brilliant way of summing it up Senshi.

This line from Iceman today on facebook was hilarious in relation to this topic

I've just been to try and buy an iPhone with the passion I've got for wrestling but the man at the counter said we only accept money. #passionandsacrafice

Nail on the fucking head! Brilliant way of summing it up Senshi.

This line from Iceman today on facebook was hilarious in relation to this topic

I've just been to try and buy an iPhone with the passion I've got for wrestling but the man at the counter said we only accept money. #passionandsacrafice

haha i remember hearing something like that on american dad how they pretend to phone something to pay for something with love and whatever lol. Oh and i agree on the previous post about there are many other companies thriving. However how long until the guy comes in saying these thriving companies should be helping the so called shitarses lol

Merging all the companies would limit opportunities creatively as well both for the bookers and for the wrestlers. I mean Joey Hayes for example is a babyface in Grand Pro, a heel (as one third of The Models) in Futureshock and was until recently doing the chav gimmick in XWA. It would mean he'd have to play the same character everywhere he goes and limit the number of people he could work with until the inevitable heel or face turn.

Plus Grand Pro, Futureshock and the now defunct XWA :p all book differently and have different ideas, so you'd then be asking everyone to compromise to get the storylines they want to use as well as the talent that they want to use and that wouldn't be much fun for the workers who may find their bookings restricted.

Plus as we've seen in the last 10 years, having one super promotion isn't good, everyone needs compettition. I'm sure some days McMahon wouldn't say no to the days of the Monday Night Wars.

So ultimately the fans would miss out on a lot of good matches just for the sake of having everything under one banner.

• Paid Members
Merging all the companies would limit opportunities creatively as well both for the bookers and for the wrestlers. I mean Joey Hayes for example is a babyface in Grand Pro, a heel (as one third of The Models) in Futureshock and was until recently doing the chav gimmick in XWA. It would mean he'd have to play the same character everywhere he goes and limit the number of people he could work with until the inevitable heel or face turn.

Plus Grand Pro, Futureshock and the now defunct XWA :p all book differently and have different ideas, so you'd then be asking everyone to compromise to get the storylines they want to use as well as the talent that they want to use and that wouldn't be much fun for the workers who may find their bookings restricted.

Plus as we've seen in the last 10 years, having one super promotion isn't good, everyone needs compettition. I'm sure some days McMahon wouldn't say no to the days of the Monday Night Wars.

So ultimately the fans would miss out on a lot of good matches just for the sake of having everything under one banner.

From what I understand, it was more the promoters working together and sharing resources to make sure their area thrives as opposed to forming one nationwide promotion with same storylines etc?

I am sad to say that I actually have been along to training in Leeds, i've also been along to that shambles of an academy that they have at UKW and attended a couple of classes there, one run by Danny Steel, one run by a guy called Bret and another guy who had blue hair! With the UKW ones, Danny Steel's class was ok, certainly not the worst I have ever attended but the other class was a total joke, the guy with the blue hair doesn't belong anywhere near a training class unless he is attending it himself. With regards to Grapple in Leeds, I went just the once a few months ago before they had that monstrosity of a ring, was just crash mats and that guy Paul Parisio taking the class, it is one of the biggest loads of rubbish I have ever been to, needless to say I never went back. The only place in the UK I have ever been to that I can compare it to as being that bad is training in Sheffield with a guy called Andy Hogg - another strawb of epic proportions churning out absolute shit to the UK scene.

Very rare post - Glad the class was ok xD

From what I understand, it was more the promoters working together and sharing resources to make sure their area thrives as opposed to forming one nationwide promotion with same storylines etc?

The thing is, it already exists in the NorthWest. It's never been perfect, and there's always going to be problems cropping up, but we're far from the days where promoters were banning their wrestlers from appearing on other people's shows. We all provide different products: PCW provides a good night out with some crazy fan-pandering wrestling; GPW provides colourful, family-targeted wrestling reminiscent of 80's WWF; FutureShock provides family friendly, solid wrestling generally based around one or two long-running storylines; XWA provided convoluted storyline based wrestling, revelling in the history of both the company itself and the local area where it promoted. Those are just the ones I've managed to see.

The competition definitely pushes some of the people to put on an even better product, to always be trying to outdo the others, but everyone knows everyone, they work together to put on shows that don't clash, that use some of the same wrestlers (meaning they can overall make more money) and, all considered, I think the NorthWest scene is the strongest and best it's ever been.

To answer the question, Yes the Andy Hogg mentioned for the NCWA, is The Pigman Andy Hogg, from various places in the past including GPW amongst others.

I am not here to get into an arguement, drag up things, criticise people, or even endorse myself or others.

I was just going to pass some facts on, on behalf of NCWA

Personally I have a ring wrestling coaching qualification dating back to 1997 from the IBF (International Budo Federation) which I obtained under Andre Baker and Justin Richards.

I was recognised by the AMA( Amateur Martial Arts Association) as a qualified ring wrestling coach in around 2002

I was recognised by the British Wrestling Council, under the BWC Syllabus, in February 2011, as an individual qualified to act as a Pro wrestling trainer

I was recognised by ASMAA ( All Styles Martial Arts Association) and SDF (Self Defence Federation) in October 2012 personally by the Head of ASMAA Dave Turton, as an Individual qualified as an instructor to teach in a variety of styles, including professional and ring wrestling. Andy Crittenden is the training head of ASMAA, and he is the sole European representative of The Shooter Billy Robinson, perhaps the last great British Catch Wrestler, and Jake Shannon the founder of Scientific Wrestling.com, and the instructor of individual such as Josh Barnett. ASMAA has a strong history and connection with British Wrestling through the individuals involved, least of all Dave Turton and Andy Crittenden

I also have a history of coaching qualifications in a variety of other sports dating back to 1994, and a variety of professional teaching/mentoring/assessment/training qualifications and practical experience throughout my employment career.

I am personally insured via TL Risk Solutions, Martial Guards Policy with a

I am sure Mark would be very thankful of your opinion and your support Adamiscool.

I am a little biased about how good Mark is, as I work, train and coach with him regularly, and historically.

I am not sure how factually correct a lot of Ukwrestlingfan1981 points were as it certainly seemed he had lied about training at NCWA, and/or under Mark or myself.

Archived