Bradford Wrestling Alliance

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

Exactly, I am reading about how booking two guys is credible or admirable or whatever words were used. Not at all. It should be the norm to use 100% top guys and drip feed trainees onto shows over time. Thats the way to do things. Any other way is ripping off fans and screwing over proper wrestlers and promoters.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you cant afford the basics like paying for a ring, proper talent a decent venue, advertizing, insurance et al then you shouldn't be running.

Whats fucking annoying though is those shitarse companies who use a shower of shit but book 1 great guy like ligero or kris travis to make themselves look respectable... I wish guys like ligs et al would tell them to fuck off.

This! Seriously see a lot of that, especially these new ones popping up, however if the wrestler doesn't have a booking and can fit it in i'm sure its just an easy pay day seeing as most of the talent on the shows will be working for "free" because of their passion. I think by now this TenaciousD fella needs to stop defending such things. If he claims that no one wants to help, that's probably because the respectable people wouldn't want anything to do with these shitarse's as people call them.

I mean you say they want the advice and that, there is quite some advice in here. Get money, get trained (not self-trained), and pay your dues to get the respect you want. Get payed for working as its a business, even more so if you have a passion for it you should be paid to do something like this, because surly the main aim these guys have is to go to America? You aren't going to get to America without any money, you wouldn't work for the WWE for free would you?

This "passion" boolocks that people use as justification for not being paid is bollocks.

I am passionate about my job and I love my job. Part of the reason for this is that I am well paid in recognition of the fact that I do a good job every day. I make a significant contribution to the business that pays me for my services.

If you're not being paid you aren't very good. If you get into the habit of not being paid you will never get better or get paid as you will be surrounded by the same level of - dare I say - talent.

Once again, if you cant see that then you dont understand any of the advice or points made in this thread.

• Paid Members
Knowing Mr Kelly as I do, I can assure you he is testament to the saying "If you want something enough you can make it happen" - he is currently an active roster member of one of the top companies in the UK running shows.

He would be Roughneck, unless I am mistaken which does happen quite a bit.

If so it's interesting you should say that ;)

My point about the factor of 'time' being an issue is that if someone has got the time to go and perform on 2 of these (again what is being referred to as) piss pot shows per weekend as I know some of the performers at Bradford managed last weekend then they have time to turn down one or both of those bookings and get themselves along to a training school on those days instead - alternatively, and I can only speak for the training schedule at House of Pain that I am familiar with - there are training classes in the mornings on both Saturday & Sunday so there is always a class on somewhere for someone who wishes to seek one out.

I know a guy rather well who told me a story a few weeks ago of how he first got involved in the business and how he used to sacrifice going out with his mates drinking on a friday and saturday night for 2 reasons - a) to save money so that he could afford to train and b) so that he was fresh on a weekend morning and could learn and perform properly whilst training. He was named in the UKFF Top 10 performers in the country last year and is on course to be within that Top 10 again this year!

All comes back to the same point I made at the start that if you want something bad enough you will pile all your attention into it and not cut corners.

And I agree with what you say and behind the notion of doing some right if you are going to do it. That's why I personally picked the best or not at all.

I do however find the comment made I initially quoted a little too simplistic as a sweeping statement, I always have with things like that and always will.

It's saying any one who fails at anything evidently couldn't have wanted it enough, which just isn't true in life.

Also like I said I've met more than a few people who don't know enough to know they don't know enough.

I'm not out to defend any one who bumbles around fucking shows up all over the shop, I just really don't agree with the comment made by Pat kelly there and its general implication to life.

Knowing Mr Kelly as I do, I can assure you he is testament to the saying "If you want something enough you can make it happen" - he is currently an active roster member of one of the top companies in the UK running shows.

He would be Roughneck, unless I am mistaken which does happen quite a bit.

If so it's interesting you should say that ;)

My point about the factor of 'time' being an issue is that if someone has got the time to go and perform on 2 of these (again what is being referred to as) piss pot shows per weekend as I know some of the performers at Bradford managed last weekend then they have time to turn down one or both of those bookings and get themselves along to a training school on those days instead - alternatively, and I can only speak for the training schedule at House of Pain that I am familiar with - there are training classes in the mornings on both Saturday & Sunday so there is always a class on somewhere for someone who wishes to seek one out.

I know a guy rather well who told me a story a few weeks ago of how he first got involved in the business and how he used to sacrifice going out with his mates drinking on a friday and saturday night for 2 reasons - a) to save money so that he could afford to train and b) so that he was fresh on a weekend morning and could learn and perform properly whilst training. He was named in the UKFF Top 10 performers in the country last year and is on course to be within that Top 10 again this year!

All comes back to the same point I made at the start that if you want something bad enough you will pile all your attention into it and not cut corners.

And I agree with what you say and behind the notion of doing some right if you are going to do it. That's why I personally picked the best or not at all.

I do however find the comment made I initially quoted a little too simplistic as a sweeping statement, I always have with things like that and always will.

It's saying any one who fails at anything evidently couldn't have wanted it enough, which just isn't true in life.

Also like I said I've met more than a few people who don't know enough to know they don't know enough.

I'm not out to defend any one who bumbles around fucking shows up all over the shop, I just really don't agree with the comment made by Pat kelly there and its general implication to life.

To be fair it was a sweeping statement but thats just me. I see things in black and white with no grey in between. If I see a problem then i find the solution. Thats just me though. I just find sifting around in the grey area is time wasted to attain something you want that much quicker if you have a direct focused approach in life.

• Paid Members
To be fair it was a sweeping statement but thats just me. I see things in black and white with no grey in between. If I see a problem then i find the solution. Thats just me though. I just find sifting around in the grey area is time wasted to attain something you want that much quicker if you have a direct focused approach in life.

I generally try to do the same, but I find sometimes you have to make compromises in life despite passion or drive for one and some times no matter how hard you work for something it's just not forthcoming for two.

That's just how I see it, some times people fail despite hard work, dedication and passion. It's the sad fact of life.

That doesn't excuse johnny Flipsandshit bumbling around being all wank though, that's really not my point at all. It's just your point I've heard before and it always sticks with me, despite the things in life I have achieved through that approach in life I accept it's not so hard and fast as all that.

I guess its just down to personal sight on things, and we both view it slightly differently.

I think by now this TenaciousD fella needs to stop defending such things. If he claims that no one wants to help, that's probably because the respectable people wouldn't want anything to do with these shitarse's as people call them.

Fair point well made but would it be fair to say that by te likes of talented guys such as ligero, kirby travis etc ( not just them but you get my drift) taking bookings on these shows and effectively condoning them theyre helping these shows to continue to be run?

• Paid Members
I think by now this TenaciousD fella needs to stop defending such things. If he claims that no one wants to help, that's probably because the respectable people wouldn't want anything to do with these shitarse's as people call them.

Fair point well made but would it be fair to say that by te likes of talented guys such as ligero, kirby travis etc ( not just them but you get my drift) taking bookings on these shows and effectively condoning them theyre helping these shows to continue to be run?

It's business though isn't it? It's all well and good to say but it's a pay day and shit shows will always be there regardless of what moral high ground any of the bigger UK names may take in accepting bookings.

I've seen Storm on one of the shittiest shows on earth, and they would still have been on and still have run again with or with out him getting paid to put some cock end in a sleeper and do a 619.

• Paid Members
If you're not being paid you aren't very good.

:rolleyes:

Why the roll eyes? Perfectly logical statement. If you're willing to do something for free then that is just a reflection of the belief in your own skills and worth. If you believed you were any good, you'd want reimbursing for it.

heath%20as%20joker.jpg

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

• Paid Members

People work for free all the time. Lots of companies and even governments have lots of unpaid interns. The difference here though is, is that you are learning shit loads from people with experience of the job that you want to do and it looks good on your CV.

Wrestling for free in front of 3 people against other people who are equally as shit as you does not fall into the above category. If you wrestle for free in front of 3 people or in a old whorehouse you are an idiot. If you are not an idiot and you believe that it will help further your dreams of becoming a "Superstar" put it on your CV. Or as is more likely. When they ask you at your interview what you have been doing to try and get work, mention it to the person from the benefits agency. See how quickly they stop your benefits.

Can I ask why one of the major British Indy companies doesn't tour around towns and cities of the country, putting on shows frequently? Maybe that would curb some of these local feds popping up as well.

There's a decent wrestling market here in Blackburn. The American Wrestling shows do well, so I'm told (even though the last one showed Sting and Sonjay Dutt from the TNA iMPACT! Video Game on their posters), yet nobody makes the effort to put on a major wrestling show around here. Again, it's PCW who are the closest, seven miles away and infrequent.

Surely the same could be said from earlier in the thread, that many of the major companies in this country could form together and make one single, massive entity, touring the country (or even out of it) and satisfying the demand from the top to the bottom.

People complain about BWA, yet there's nothing around there putting on a decent show on a regular basis. Otherwise, they wouldn't have just sprung up like they did. The only one I know of around there (note: I am from Blackburn) is the American Wrestling one, which, coincidentally, has a very average product, yet tours the length and depth of the country.

• Paid Members
Can I ask why one of the major British Indy companies doesn't tour around towns and cities of the country, putting on shows frequently? Maybe that would curb some of these local feds popping up as well.

There's a decent wrestling market here in Blackburn. The American Wrestling shows do well, so I'm told (even though the last one showed Sting and Sonjay Dutt from the TNA iMPACT! Video Game on their posters), yet nobody makes the effort to put on a major wrestling show around here. Again, it's PCW who are the closest, seven miles away and infrequent.

Surely the same could be said from earlier in the thread, that many of the major companies in this country could form together and make one single, massive entity, touring the country (or even out of it) and satisfying the demand from the top to the bottom.

People complain about BWA, yet there's nothing around there putting on a decent show on a regular basis. Otherwise, they wouldn't have just sprung up like they did. The only one I know of around there (note: I am from Blackburn) is the American Wrestling one, which, coincidentally, has a very average product, yet tours the length and depth of the country.

So you're not familiar with All-Star?

Archived