Bradford Wrestling Alliance

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have it on good authority that the GWA is the pits.

Not to be confused with Grimsby Wrestling Academy that are doing pretty well by all accounts

Good point well made there!

Grimsby Wrestling Academy is certainly on the list of better training schools up north.

Good Training Schools (Local - ish):

House of Pain - Nottingham

New Generation Wrestling - Hull

Futureshock - Manchester

Grimsby Wrestling Academy - Duh..

Not Good Training Schools:

ANYTHING CURRENTLY IN WEST YORKSHIRE

ANYWHERE USING BRETT BELL

Any promotion booking Brett Bell to wrestle should pretty much be avoided!

Not Good Training Schools:

ANYTHING CURRENTLY IN WEST YORKSHIRE

ANYWHERE USING BRETT BELL

Any promotion booking Brett Bell to wrestle should pretty much be avoided!

Brett Bell! Yes that was his name, just found the blue haired guy on facebook aswell, his name is Caleb Crow! Terrible class run by a pair of idiots, even as a beginners class, I already had more knowledge than they did and yet they were teaching me

I know it is harping on to the age old argument again but there must be something that can be done to get some form of either regulatory body in place or at least a general banner under which all promotions can apply to become members and then use their symbol on their advertising to say they are an approved member etc?

Both for training schools and for shows. It worked in the USA back in the days of the territories with everyone members of or under the body of the NWA etc, everyone still ran their own shows in their own areas but you straight away knew that if the promotion or school was a member of the NWA then it was going to be reputable, that would be the best way for these shit arse promotions to be found out as they would either never bother to apply or if they did it could be pointed out to them what was wrong with what they were doing and give them the option to make the changes or to continue running as a non member.

I know it is not something that is enforcable but surely the top schools/promotions would all like to be able to dis-associate themselves completely from these piss pots and be able to stand together in the fight against this rubbish?

GPW also run a successful training school as do XWA and All Star (led by Dean Allmark)

I'll go on record, as one of the more 'reputable' training schools closest to where this is going on, saying that I'll offer a series (yes, more than one) of FREE training sessions to anyone attending these schools so they can compare and contrast their learning environment. This is something I have done in the past for someone in this situation.

Our head trainer is the very committed El Ligero with regular guest trainers. The list previously contains numerous visits from the likes of Stixx, Sam Bailey, RJ Singh, Rockstar Spud, Doug Williams, Dave Taylor, Robbie Brookside, Fit Finlay. We'll be adding more classes with a vastly expanded timetable before the end of the year. Anyone interested can open dialogue with me here or at rich@hullwrestling.com or they can find me on Facebook.

I'll go on record, as one of the more 'reputable' training schools closest to where this is going on, saying that I'll offer a series (yes, more than one) of FREE training sessions to anyone attending these schools so they can compare and contrast their learning environment.

As usual Dunny comes up with a fantastic shout and great idea. We have just moved to a brand new premises of our own at House of Pain aswell and i'm sure we could impliment something similar around the Midlands area, would be very interesting to see some of these students who have been trained at some of the places being berrated and to hear what they think are the differences from say training at NGW or at HOP for a few weeks.

If at the end of that sort of thing they still turned round and said that they believe their own training schools are giving them a better education then I guess we have to cut them loose as it would be like flogging a dead horse, I remember going to a school down in Bletchley (Milton Keynes) run by a guy called Samson many years ago, I came away from the lessons I went to thinking I was being taught some fantastic stuff, I was amazed at the difference between the style of that school and the way Paul runs his classes at House of Pain. I am not saying that the Milton Keynes one is terrible but having then seen 2 completely different styles of school I felt I could gauge a more well rounded opinion of what works for people and what doesn't. Either way, from whatever school they are attending, having the opportunity to train and learn at 2 of the best schools anywhere in the UK (in NGW and HOP) and being trained by Ligero or Stixx respectively is always going to benefit any student who is serious about getting on in the business.

I know it is harping on to the age old argument again but there must be something that can be done to get some form of either regulatory body in place or at least a general banner under which all promotions can apply to become members and then use their symbol on their advertising to say they are an approved member etc?

Both for training schools and for shows. It worked in the USA back in the days of the territories with everyone members of or under the body of the NWA etc, everyone still ran their own shows in their own areas but you straight away knew that if the promotion or school was a member of the NWA then it was going to be reputable, that would be the best way for these shit arse promotions to be found out as they would either never bother to apply or if they did it could be pointed out to them what was wrong with what they were doing and give them the option to make the changes or to continue running as a non member.

I know it is not something that is enforcable but surely the top schools/promotions would all like to be able to dis-associate themselves completely from these piss pots and be able to stand together in the fight against this rubbish?

Well on facebook there was a group called the Independent Council of British wrestling, now at first i thought this was going to be something decent which would have promoters running for the chance to be a part of it and be like under a banner or something so piss pots couldn't exist. However taking the name i've now made it into a website on google sites (best place i could run it) and would look to do such a thing. However its all with the help and work of promoters.

• Paid Members
is that the NCWA in Sheffield as they started following me on twitter now as well and i notice him and Mark Sanderson

I believe Mark Sanderson wrestles as 'Mark Impact' around the West Yorkshire/South Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire area. Fun fact: I also believe Mark Impact was Martin Kirby's opponent in the latter's second-ever match...

• Paid Members

It'll never happen. It requires promoters to work together, and although some are willing to do so, it's not the same UK-wide.

Until then, it's a chicken and egg situation. The way to stop crap shows is to close them down on situations where they don't have the correct paperwork etc. But then it has the adverse affect of killing a market. But if the crap show does go ahead, it'll turn punters off any way. So what do you do?

GPW also run a successful training school as do XWA and All Star (led by Dean Allmark)

I'll go on record, as one of the more 'reputable' training schools closest to where this is going on, saying that I'll offer a series (yes, more than one) of FREE training sessions to anyone attending these schools so they can compare and contrast their learning environment. This is something I have done in the past for someone in this situation.

Our head trainer is the very committed El Ligero with regular guest trainers. The list previously contains numerous visits from the likes of Stixx, Sam Bailey, RJ Singh, Rockstar Spud, Doug Williams, Dave Taylor, Robbie Brookside, Fit Finlay. We'll be adding more classes with a vastly expanded timetable before the end of the year. Anyone interested can open dialogue with me here or at rich@hullwrestling.com or they can find me on Facebook.

I cant ofer my endoresement enough to Richie, Luke, Ligero and the NGW training school!!

To answer the question, Yes the Andy Hogg mentioned for the NCWA, is The Pigman Andy Hogg, from various places in the past including GPW amongst others.

I am not here to get into an arguement, drag up things, criticise people, or even endorse myself or others.

I was just going to pass some facts on, on behalf of NCWA

Personally I have a ring wrestling coaching qualification dating back to 1997 from the IBF (International Budo Federation) which I obtained under Andre Baker and Justin Richards.

I was recognised by the AMA( Amateur Martial Arts Association) as a qualified ring wrestling coach in around 2002

I was recognised by the British Wrestling Council, under the BWC Syllabus, in February 2011, as an individual qualified to act as a Pro wrestling trainer

I was recognised by ASMAA ( All Styles Martial Arts Association) and SDF (Self Defence Federation) in October 2012 personally by the Head of ASMAA Dave Turton, as an Individual qualified as an instructor to teach in a variety of styles, including professional and ring wrestling. Andy Crittenden is the training head of ASMAA, and he is the sole European representative of The Shooter Billy Robinson, perhaps the last great British Catch Wrestler, and Jake Shannon the founder of Scientific Wrestling.com, and the instructor of individual such as Josh Barnett. ASMAA has a strong history and connection with British Wrestling through the individuals involved, least of all Dave Turton and Andy Crittenden

I also have a history of coaching qualifications in a variety of other sports dating back to 1994, and a variety of professional teaching/mentoring/assessment/training qualifications and practical experience throughout my employment career.

I am personally insured via TL Risk Solutions, Martial Guards Policy with a

You promote those Elite British Wrestling shows don't you? If i remember correctly (not from being at the show ,but from facebook or twitter) didn't you have Kris Travis there recently. To be honest out of the names, shows and companies listed here that is a better thing to do than those guys in leeds or wherever else. Having names that are out there to come wrestle on your shows and train is a good thing. Also if facebook provides correct you have had Doug Williams hold a seminar, so you guys seem to do somethings right

To answer the question, Yes the Andy Hogg mentioned for the NCWA, is The Pigman Andy Hogg, from various places in the past including GPW amongst others.

I am not here to get into an arguement, drag up things, criticise people, or even endorse myself or others.

I was just going to pass some facts on, on behalf of NCWA

Personally I have a ring wrestling coaching qualification dating back to 1997 from the IBF (International Budo Federation) which I obtained under Andre Baker and Justin Richards.

I was recognised by the AMA( Amateur Martial Arts Association) as a qualified ring wrestling coach in around 2002

I was recognised by the British Wrestling Council, under the BWC Syllabus, in February 2011, as an individual qualified to act as a Pro wrestling trainer

I was recognised by ASMAA ( All Styles Martial Arts Association) and SDF (Self Defence Federation) in October 2012 personally by the Head of ASMAA Dave Turton, as an Individual qualified as an instructor to teach in a variety of styles, including professional and ring wrestling. Andy Crittenden is the training head of ASMAA, and he is the sole European representative of The Shooter Billy Robinson, perhaps the last great British Catch Wrestler, and Jake Shannon the founder of Scientific Wrestling.com, and the instructor of individual such as Josh Barnett. ASMAA has a strong history and connection with British Wrestling through the individuals involved, least of all Dave Turton and Andy Crittenden

I also have a history of coaching qualifications in a variety of other sports dating back to 1994, and a variety of professional teaching/mentoring/assessment/training qualifications and practical experience throughout my employment career.

I am personally insured via TL Risk Solutions, Martial Guards Policy with a

I'll go on record, as one of the more 'reputable' training schools closest to where this is going on, saying that I'll offer a series (yes, more than one) of FREE training sessions to anyone attending these schools so they can compare and contrast their learning environment.

As usual Dunny comes up with a fantastic shout and great idea. We have just moved to a brand new premises of our own at House of Pain aswell and i'm sure we could impliment something similar around the Midlands area, would be very interesting to see some of these students who have been trained at some of the places being berrated and to hear what they think are the differences from say training at NGW or at HOP for a few weeks.

If at the end of that sort of thing they still turned round and said that they believe their own training schools are giving them a better education then I guess we have to cut them loose as it would be like flogging a dead horse, I remember going to a school down in Bletchley (Milton Keynes) run by a guy called Samson many years ago, I came away from the lessons I went to thinking I was being taught some fantastic stuff, I was amazed at the difference between the style of that school and the way Paul runs his classes at House of Pain. I am not saying that the Milton Keynes one is terrible but having then seen 2 completely different styles of school I felt I could gauge a more well rounded opinion of what works for people and what doesn't. Either way, from whatever school they are attending, having the opportunity to train and learn at 2 of the best schools anywhere in the UK (in NGW and HOP) and being trained by Ligero or Stixx respectively is always going to benefit any student who is serious about getting on in the business.

This is an offer that we would also like to echo.

If anyone attending any of these schools would like to come have a taste of the training that we offer we would be more than happy to give them opportunities to try out our training sessions.

Archived