Bradford Wrestling Alliance

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if your budget as a promoter is too tight to put on a proper show, dont put on a show at all.

Its not even about tight budgets, its about hard work and actually promoting a show. Take for example Markout Wrestling who are the best by their own opinion (even I dont say im the best). I go through Blackburn every weekend and im yet to see 1 poster.

I do not have a wrestling background and do I put on shit shows? In March was made redundant and had no money to put into PCW over the summer but I made it work by putting in the time to promote and each show makes money. Its easy to book a social club and put a ring in there but its not easy to actually promote a show. I can imagine the same applies to a training school. I could open a school but I would just be taking money from those that strive to do it the right way like Futureshock, XWA and GPW. If they was not around I would consider it to raise the standard but they are amazing at what they do so im not interested. Its a shame others dont share my attitude about it.

Yes.

When I started training I was on barely more than minimum wage and relied on public transport. I'd get the bus straight from work so I could get there in time, and afterwards I'd sit in the bus station until near midnight with the junkies and pissheads because it was the only way home.

Fair play. How you did it, I'll never know, although the climate is a lot tighter these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCwclatm_PU

2:33

Both of them are bleeding.

That's Tom's blood from his chest. I remember him bleeding pretty heavily out of that throughout the match.

What parts of my comments weren't constructive? Using the word cunt does not detract from my point that untrained people are a risk to others and themselves.

It makes your response look at lot more childish than anything. Not really any need for it.

And if your budget as a promoter is too tight to put on a proper show, dont put on a show at all.

Its not even about tight budgets, its about hard work and actually promoting a show. Take for example Markout Wrestling who are the best by their own opinion (even I dont say im the best). I go through Blackburn every weekend and im yet to see 1 poster.

I do not have a wrestling background and do I put on shit shows? In March was made redundant and had no money to put into PCW over the summer but I made it work by putting in the time to promote and each show makes money. Its easy to book a social club and put a ring in there but its not easy to actually promote a show. I can imagine the same applies to a training school. I could open a school but I would just be taking money from those that strive to do it the right way like Futureshock, XWA and GPW. If they was not around I would consider it to raise the standard but they are amazing at what they do so im not interested. Its a shame others dont share my attitude about it.

I've seen you out there promoting your own shows numerous times, Ste. The TNA show in Jan, for example. The effort you put in is amazing, but that's how committed you are to making it work, and it does.

I pay to see your shows for a reason, and always come away happy.

As it was with MW, the posters were printed but very few went out. I'll never understand the reason why.

If you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes to make enough money to get the right training. From what I can see is weak excuses for not doing that.

Not enough hours in the day?......get up earlier

Have not got any money?.....get a job

My job don't pay enough?........get another job and have 2.

If you want something bad enough you will find solutions not excuses.

Surprised you didn't mention stealing in that there semi-unrealistic list.

Now, back in the REAL world...

I've seen you out there promoting your own shows numerous times, Ste. The TNA show in Jan, for example. The effort you put in is amazing, but that's how committed you are to making it work, and it does.

I pay to see your shows for a reason, and always come away happy.

As it was with MW, the posters were printed but very few went out. I'll never understand the reason why.

If you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes to make enough money to get the right training. From what I can see is weak excuses for not doing that.

Surprised you didn't mention stealing in that there semi-unrealistic list.

Now, back in the REAL world...

Hey if you don't believe it to be realistic then thats your lookout. Your making it sound like good training is for the privileged which is complete utter bullshit. If I wanted something bad enough I'd make shit happen. In 1996 I came to Manchester with a backpack, 2 bin liners and

• Paid Members

To be honest I do feel you are over simplifying things here, I live in the real world and so have to make compromise on what I want.

I've also met people who train in a right shit hole and don't know the basics, but they don't know enough to know they don't know enough, if you will.

As it is, for the record, I opted to take time away from training at one of the more well respected centres and chose to not train at all rather than go some where else due to having to compromise due to personal circumstances. Doesn't mean I want it any less, just means I need to be realistic.

To be honest I do feel you are over simplifying things here, I live in the real world and so have to make compromise on what I want.

I've also met people who train in a right shit hole and don't know the basics, but they don't know enough to know they don't know enough, if you will.

As it is, for the record, I opted to take time away from training at one of the more well respected centres and chose to not train at all rather than go some where else due to having to compromise due to personal circumstances. Doesn't mean I want it any less, just means I need to be realistic.

Knowing Mr Kelly as I do, I can assure you he is testament to the saying "If you want something enough you can make it happen" - he is currently an active roster member of one of the top companies in the UK running shows.

My point about the factor of 'time' being an issue is that if someone has got the time to go and perform on 2 of these (again what is being referred to as) piss pot shows per weekend as I know some of the performers at Bradford managed last weekend then they have time to turn down one or both of those bookings and get themselves along to a training school on those days instead - alternatively, and I can only speak for the training schedule at House of Pain that I am familiar with - there are training classes in the mornings on both Saturday & Sunday so there is always a class on somewhere for someone who wishes to seek one out.

I know a guy rather well who told me a story a few weeks ago of how he first got involved in the business and how he used to sacrifice going out with his mates drinking on a friday and saturday night for 2 reasons - a) to save money so that he could afford to train and b) so that he was fresh on a weekend morning and could learn and perform properly whilst training. He was named in the UKFF Top 10 performers in the country last year and is on course to be within that Top 10 again this year!

All comes back to the same point I made at the start that if you want something bad enough you will pile all your attention into it and not cut corners.

• Paid Members

Have been umming and Urring about posting on here but the longer I promote the more it irks me - these so called shows are tarnishing British wrestling when we should be looking brighter than we have in a long time.

Ruffneck is right - if you really wanted it you can do it , but prepare to sacrifice things. At the end of the day one of you wannabe wrestlers is one day going to kill someone because your just happy to call yourself a wrestler.

As for the promoters you are scum - you risk people's health because running shows is the only way you can get booked !

I read yesterday one of these do-called wrestlers on Facebook saying people who don't know him are judging him , wake up and smell the coffee - we judge because you take part in this !!!!!!

Also I feel sorry for the Leeds area - so many shit companies have now probably stopped DPW coming back - crying shame

Corey did bring Bubblegum and Joey Hayes into Markout Wrestling's first show, ran in Blackburn (the nearest wrestling shows to this are PCW and Futureshock, to my knowledge), while Lewis O'Brien faced those two for the title, and the YOBz facing the Outbackers in the semi-Main. Corey is, again, working within the parameters of a strict budget, while trying to put something on that the whole community can enjoy, but again, people just see what they see and want to shit on it all because it doesn't match their standards or specific requirements.

Really? How does he explain owing 3 months rent for the ring? And the fact that when the owner of the ring turned up on show day for his cash corey didn't have it and when said ring was taken down corey was going to still run the show On the floor just using mats? ... Plus tom owed the ring owner money as well....

Hardly sticking to a strict budget or being professional there is it?

Really? How does he explain owing 3 months rent for the ring? And the fact that when the owner of the ring turned up on show day for his cash corey didn't have it and when said ring was taken down corey was going to still run the show On the floor just using mats? ... Plus tom owed the ring owner money as well....

Hardly sticking to a strict budget or being professional there is it?

No. That's not having the money and NO budget at that time. Otherwise, you (or whoever rented them the ring) would have had their money.

Again, back to the financial aspect of it all...

If you cant afford the basics like paying for a ring, proper talent a decent venue, advertizing, insurance et al then you shouldn't be running.

Whats fucking annoying though is those shitarse companies who use a shower of shit but book 1 great guy like ligero or kris travis to make themselves look respectable... I wish guys like ligs et al would tell them to fuck off.

Archived