Bradford Wrestling Alliance

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Dean Allmark. I hear alot of people say "if your goal isn't WWE or one of the top promotions then you shouldn't be in wrestling" whilst I agree with it to a certain extent I would rather look at it as your goal should be to be able to make a living out of wrestling and I don't believe that can be done by working for free.

I know wrestlers are getting called strawbs and divs but the real ones who are fucking the industry up are the promotors who are expecting talent to work for free. it makes me ask whos the real strawb, the strawb or the strawb who books them? A promotor expecting someone to work for free is disrespectful to you, to your trainer, and to anybody who makes an honest living by working hard in wrestling. If you don't believe your talent is worthy of been paid then you shouldn't be booking them because at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

• Paid Members
So pleased when I read what Deano had written.

I myself get regular requests from wrestlers looking for work , the second I read will work for free I delete it !

I remember my dalliance with promoting and getting those types of messages through MySpace.

I think this working for nout is a two way thing. i remember when my wife Sweet Saraya started promoters did not want to pay the extra for valets/managers, so i gave them the chance to see her work for free on the proviso if they liked her work, they paid for her in the future, i was confident in her work, every promoter re booked her and paid her. Many big uk names of today came to me in the late 90s and were working for nout and i set their first wages because i was so impressed with their talents and recommended them to other promotions, you have to start somewhere, if this business was all about money none of us would be here. I think its up to training schools to teach etiquette, wage structure etc, when my students go out to the big wide world i set the wages exs etc so they know where they stand. I agree everyone should be paid we are pro's but sometimes in life you have to speculate to accumulate and look at the bigger picture.

I agree with Dean Allmark. I hear alot of people say "if your goal isn't WWE or one of the top promotions then you shouldn't be in wrestling" whilst I agree with it to a certain extent I would rather look at it as your goal should be to be able to make a living out of wrestling and I don't believe that can be done by working for free.

I know wrestlers are getting called strawbs and divs but the real ones who are fucking the industry up are the promotors who are expecting talent to work for free. it makes me ask whos the real strawb, the strawb or the strawb who books them? A promotor expecting someone to work for free is disrespectful to you, to your trainer, and to anybody who makes an honest living by working hard in wrestling. If you don't believe your talent is worthy of been paid then you shouldn't be booking them because at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

The promoters exploiting divs are immoral but not stupid, they are getting unpaid labour. The divs putting their health on the line for no monetary gain are as divvy as you can get.

Ricky's points are good ones, its those who work for free regularly that I think are worthless, literally.

Wow....can't believe this thread is still going!!

I read Dean Allmark's status are completely agreed with 99% of what he said but can also see Ricky's argument above for breaking someone in that you are confident with, maybe with a manager/valet it is tougher to convince someone to pay the extra to include them on the show when they are potentially unproven. Fact is that these days I truly believe that a decent manager/valet gimmick is back on the way up and can add a new dimension to a match/show so promoters should be looking at getting in some decent ones (cheap plug - by the way I am available for bookings via my twitter @TheHarveyDale). Also with regards to a manager of valet perhaps working a first show somewhere for free on that proviso that they are paid in the future is not as bad as a wrestler taking free work as they will certainly not be taking the kinds of risks as someone inside the ring.

Promoters who exploit the use of these free workers need to be named and shamed, if they don't value someone they want to use on their show enough to pay them then they clearly have no faith in their ability to do their job or please their crowd. That shows exactly what level of show they are running. In my opinion, everyone who contributes to a show from the ring announcer to the towel boy should be paid for their time and effort for helping a show come together and be a success.

Is that the show with the street fight? and well the "screwjob"

I was at this show watching as they used a number of guys local to ourselves on the show so went along to show my support for them. The room was totally packed and at a very ambitious

Worcestershire County Extreme Wrestling - check this out on facebook , also very bad youtube channel :(

Seen it. Backyard bullshit.

That's an understatement , the people involved are obviously delusional

As are any of them who believe that having 'trained' for a matter of months, for a couple of hours once a week, makes them knoweledgable and safe enough to take responsibility for someone else's health and safety inside a ring for a crowd. The generous offer made by NGW , Futureshock and HOP to allow any of these students the opportunity to get some proper training for free appears to have fallen on deaf ears as always. Bet they are all 'booked' on 'shows' this weekend though......seems you can't help people who don't want to be helped or who think they know it all already because they can do a moonsault onto a crash mat in someone's garden!

• Paid Members

It really does make their earlier claims about not being able to afford training seem a bit hollow, and that they're really just looking for a way to avoid criticism for their refusal to admit they need to train properly.

Worcestershire County Extreme Wrestling - check this out on facebook , also very bad youtube channel :(

Seen it. Backyard bullshit.

That's an understatement , the people involved are obviously delusional

As are any of them who believe that having 'trained' for a matter of months, for a couple of hours once a week, makes them knoweledgable and safe enough to take responsibility for someone else's health and safety inside a ring for a crowd. The generous offer made by NGW , Futureshock and HOP to allow any of these students the opportunity to get some proper training for free appears to have fallen on deaf ears as always. Bet they are all 'booked' on 'shows' this weekend though......seems you can't help people who don't want to be helped or who think they know it all already because they can do a moonsault onto a crash mat in someone's garden!

I will point out I got one enquiry from someone

Archived