Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Who the fuck is moaning about how the brand split needs to return? I haven't seen that anywhere.

I don't think anyone is. But I can see why they would. I always could. The brand split was to create artificial competition, create environments where more guys could become stars and allow them to keep guys apart to create dream matches and refresh rivalries. They are desperate for all of those things.

Personally, I don't think it will happen because it will be like admitting the were wrong to end it and also, it will require a huge investment in talent.

• Paid Members

Completely wacky idea but maybe re-brand Smackdown as WCW Thursday Nitro. Make it look completely different to RAW. It would at least create a bit of a buzz for that 2 hours each week. Have the Big 4 as multi brand PPVs and bring back Starcade and Halloween Havoc as WCW specific specials. Something needs to be done to Smackdown thats for sure.

The WCW brand name is dead. NXT Smackdown! would generate far more of a buzz but that would mean overhauling their developmental system, and possibly fuck up what's made NXT so good in the first place.

So I can't be the only one that gets disproportionately annoyed at that weird "one fall" thing everyone parrots during the introductions at literally all of the Brit Wres shows these last couple of years.

Can anyone explain what it is? Is it a joke? What is the joke? How did it start? Why do people do it. Keep seeing announcers everywhere playing up to it now too. Does my nut in. (I told you my annoyance was disproportionate).

Almost as bad as the crowd counting one ahead of the ref during count outs...ugh

The rumours doing the rounds were that Shane would run Raw after WrestleMania and Triple H would run Smackdown with the majority of NXT on the roster. I don't know where this leaves Stephanie though.

I liked Smackdown being the more 'athletic' brand in the early brand split days and ideally I'd have Smackdown focus more on that than Raw, brand split or not. The problem is Raw uses athletic matches to fill time now anyway, but you can still have matches with a different feel.

So I can't be the only one that gets disproportionately annoyed at that weird "one fall" thing everyone parrots during the introductions at literally all of the Brit Wres shows these last couple of years.

Can anyone explain what it is? Is it a joke? What is the joke? How did it start? Why do people do it. Keep seeing announcers everywhere playing up to it now too. Does my nut in. (I told you my annoyance was disproportionate).

Started in ICW, then quickly spread to Preston, and TIDAL, and RevPro, and then pretty much everywhere else.  That's why, 2 or 3 years later, everyone was doing it at all the NXT shows around the country.

I said earlier that I'd heard it since around 2006 - 2008, thinking ICW was only about 5 or 6 years old. Turns out it was founded in 2006. Was it as early as that it was heard there or was it more recent?

Edited by Sphinx

• Moderators

The rumours doing the rounds were that Shane would run Raw after WrestleMania and Triple H would run Smackdown with the majority of NXT on the roster. I don't know where this leaves Stephanie though.

Rumours from where? We like our sources here.

• Paid Members

Almost as bad as the crowd counting one ahead of the ref during count outs...ugh

That's intensely annoying during matches where the ref isn't Chris Roberts.

Realistically the only thing they need to do to have Smackdown on par with Raw is to get rid of that woeful canned heat they're so fond of.

Until then, it's always going to feel more like a Vince daydream than an authentic show...and yet it still is regularly a better watch than Raw!

• Paid Members

That's intensely annoying during matches where the ref isn't Chris Roberts.

Futureshock was better because people chanted 8 for every number. It meant you could all cheer if the ref actually got to 8, but then you left room for drama if he continued on for nine and it looked like the finish. With the chanting one ahead of the ref, you completely kill the false finish.

I liked Smackdown being the more 'athletic' brand in the early brand split days and ideally I'd have Smackdown focus more on that than Raw, brand split or not. The problem is Raw uses athletic matches to fill time now anyway, but you can still have matches with a different feel.

Started in ICW, then quickly spread to Preston, and TIDAL, and RevPro, and then pretty much everywhere else.  That's why, 2 or 3 years later, everyone was doing it at all the NXT shows around the country.

Simon cassidy only started announcing 3 years back, so has been since then. Caught a lot of older shows but not seen where it started

I said earlier that I'd heard it since around 2006 - 2008, thinking ICW was only about 5 or 6 years old. Turns out it was founded in 2006. Was it as early as that it was heard there or was it more recent?

The rumour I heard is it would probably leave her in the same job she's had since she left creative over two years ago.

Worst.

• Paid Members

Started in ICW, then quickly spread to Preston, and TIDAL, and RevPro, and then pretty much everywhere else. That's why, 2 or 3 years later, everyone was doing it at all the NXT shows around the country.

Simon cassidy only started announcing 3 years back, so has been since then. Caught a lot of older shows but not seen where it started

Huh. It was the PCW Supershow weekender in 2013 where it caught on in Preston and everyone started doing it there, so I'd always assumed it was already an ICW 'thing' before that.