Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Boogeyman was alright. Mostly cringe but that's the point, loved when he turned up at the Rumble.

Hornswoggle I just always wanted to fuck off though, never laughed at anything he ever did, annoyed the shit out of me when he won the Cruiserweight title and then they got rid of the belt because it wouldn't be fair to hurt poor lil 'Swoggle!.. Cunt.. In extreme contradictory style, I find today's El Torito gimmick pretty damn amusing when it's on. Especially when Xavier did that slam on him at Summerslam hahaha

I love that New Day have been able to lift a catchphrase from the 2 Live Crew song 'We Want Some Pussay' and that it's been able to stick.

• Paid Members

I just realized that other than Hogan/Orton and Edge/Cena I had no idea what happened at SummerSlam 2006 so stuck the tape on. The Big Show v Sabu is a match I had completely forgotten had happened, and it's surprisingly OK.

• Paid Members

I just realized that other than Hogan/Orton and Edge/Cena I had no idea what happened at SummerSlam 2006 so stuck the tape on. The Big Show v Sabu is a match I had completely forgotten had happened, and it's surprisingly OK.

Yeah I watched it again a couple of weeks ago. The show was very vanilla but the Sabu match I enjoyed. It might be up there with his best matches for the WWE.

• Paid Members

Didn't think this was thread worthy but was just something I was thinking about earlier.

With NXT growing and growing, would anyone say it's now bigger than Smackdown? and what do you think the chances are of it growing bigger than Raw? The tour has generated some serious interest in the brand, even so much as some lapsed fans I know booking tickets.

Yeah I watched it again a couple of weeks ago. The show was very vanilla but the Sabu match I enjoyed. It might be up there with his best matches for the WWE.

Just remember that match for moment when Sabu tries running a table to the ropes and fucks it up.

Flair/Foley I Quit is a fun watch (barbed wire chops from Naitch!) and there's a lot of fun easy watching throughout.

Rewatching some early 99 WCW at the moment (no idea why), it's kind of funny how lost in the shuffle Booker T is, and how he really doesn't stand out much compared to my memory. If I had to relive it and bet money that of all the talent there, he'd be the one to have the run he had, I would have lost my arse.

• Paid Members

Didn't think this was thread worthy but was just something I was thinking about earlier.

With NXT growing and growing, would anyone say it's now bigger than Smackdown? and what do you think the chances are of it growing bigger than Raw? The tour has generated some serious interest in the brand, even so much as some lapsed fans I know booking tickets.

Smackdown isn't a brand anymore. As a show, given that NXT doesn't have a TV slot, its audience, loyal and excitable as they might be, is surely still absolutely dwarfed by the number of people watching Raw and SD.

• Paid Members

I don't think it's anywhere close to being as popular as smackdown. NXT isn't in a position to have casual fans because it's only on the network and despite it being the better show id be shocked if the viewing figures for it weren't just a tiny fraction of Smackdowns

• Paid Members

Rewatching some early 99 WCW at the moment (no idea why), it's kind of funny how lost in the shuffle Booker T is, and how he really doesn't stand out much compared to my memory.

Ridiculously, that's the time that Booker had a good match with Bret Hart on a live Nitro and pinned the Hitman cleanly in the middle of the ring. A guy at Booker's level at the time pinning a five time World Champion like Bret should have been a high water mark and turning point in Book's career, but being WCW, they didn't capitalize on it at all, or do pretty much anything with it. Goldberg jobbing to Bret's armour, everyone remembers (even though it went nowhere) but nobody remembers Bret doing a clean job for Booker T because he was asked, and WCW moving on as if nothing special had happened.

• Paid Members

That was more putting Bret in line, than Booker winning. As with everything WCW did, you had to suffer for a good idea you came up with. They also wanted Dean Malenko to beat Bret as well. They Bischoff wanted Hogan to come down and lamp Bret after the Goldberg angle, which makes even less sense. They were totally out to get Bret Hart by that point. The build to the big Goldberg angle was so the opposite of how you build someone up for a big angle with someone like Goldberg.

Then if you thought the win against Bret and his best of 7 series with '?' could have done anything for him, they went and reunited fucking Harlem Heat.

Also was his first World Title win really because of the Sonny Ono law suit or was it more because he benefitted from the Russo v Hulk Hogan real life feud?

In classic EWR 'Fusient buys WCW' scenario games I'd always fire Nash, Hall, Hogan et al and have Booker T, Lance Storm, Chris Kanyon, Mike Awesome and Scott Steiner at the top :( what could have been!

Edited by Cobra1000

• Paid Members

Flair/Foley I Quit is a fun watch (barbed wire chops from Naitch!) and there's a lot of fun easy watching throughout.

The finish is just the worst. Totally shite and everything which is wrong with Foley given booking clout.

Smackdown is a TV show, not a roster or company. It's far bigger than the NXT TV show, which isn't on TV.

If you're asking is the NXT brand bigger than or going to be bigger than the WWE main roster, of course it won't be.

NXT has carved a niche in the hardcore fan market, it hasn't made new fans.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

What I meant was in terms of popularity. It was a hypothetical question for the future. In all fairness, I completely forgot the fact that NXT is just a network show and not an actual TV show.

Edited by Nick James