Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

If he has a retirement match, especially in Texas, I'd have him win it. We've already had the big emotional final loss with Flair and Taker deserves to go out with a win anyway

On a different subject, here's Lance Storm (and Dave Meltzer I suppose) making a point about Roman Reigns, not sure I agree with it 100% but its a quick decent read

http://www.stormwrestling.com/013015.html

He should beat Miz in a loser-becomes-the-victor's-stunt-double-for-one-month match at WrestleMania. Then Sandow will have storyline justification to develop some new characteristics so that Miz has stuff to mimic. This can just be a twist on his old pompous intellectual gimmick, only with the Miz as the butt of the jokes rather than the audience so it works for a babyface. Like a wrestling version of Frasier Crane, with maybe a touch of Miz's hollywood gimmick mixed in.

After 4 weeks of that I'd have Sandow go over Miz again at Extreme Rules and then just let him be himself thereafter i.e. a witty, muscular dude (who, crucially, wins the majority of his matches). I've got unusual faith in Sandow, I think he'll make any kind of half decent push work. He gets it, and he's refreshingly tall and muscular-looking in this era of the short arses.

Edited by Pinc

• Paid Members

He should beat Miz in a loser-becomes-the-victor's-stunt-double-for-one-month match at WrestleMania. Then Sandow will have storyline justification to develop some new characteristics so that Miz has stuff to mimic. This can just be a twist on his old pompous intellectual gimmick, only with the Miz as the butt of the jokes rather than the audience so it works for a babyface. Like a wrestling version of Frasier Crane, with maybe a touch of Miz's hollywood gimmick mixed in.

Great idea. Works for me.

I can also see Sandow making the best of a push. I can't see how they could be down on him considering he's made the best of the shit he was given. He's a team player, he's got no ego and he's grabbed the mid-card version of the brass ring.

I was never a huge fan before, i thought his Dean Douglas meets The Genius gimmick was a bit dull. He's been great in this run and it'd be nice to see him getting some reward now.

I love Mizdow, but its the act with Miz that is over, not Mizdow himself. Its part of his gimmick to get cheered and people cheer because of that not because of him. Can you really see him getting the same reactions without Miz being there to boo?

• Paid Members

I love Mizdow, but its the act with Miz that is over, not Mizdow himself. Its part of his gimmick to get cheered and people cheer because of that not because of him. Can you really see him getting the same reactions without Miz being there to boo?

I don't think anyone could have got that gimmick over as well as him, it could've easily died on its arse after a couple of weeks and been dropped. Sandow is great at adding little things, expressions, flourishes, just little barely perceivable things that add more than people realise. He's been given so many shit spots and made them work. I remember him doing one of their awful product placement spots for subway and he was hilarious, most people are abysmal in those. I think the popularity of Mizdow is totally down to how he plays it. He's not world title material but he's great to have around, I'd definitely keep a gimmick on him though.

That only became part of the gimmick because the crowd warmed to him so much in the role. Initially he was definitely meant to be booed and laughed at but he's performed it so well that he now gets cheered and laughed with, and they've tweaked the act accordingly.

I actually do see main event potential in Sandow, but I don't think it'll ever be realised. He's one of the better character actors they have and he can be genuinely funny, which is very rare in WWE. I'd love to see him pushed as a funny-but-credible babyface, a bit like how Kurt Angle was presented opposite Austin in Summer 2001.

Edited by Pinc

• Moderators

Sandow was always going to get cheered sooner or later. It's like Santino on a smaller level. if you're entertaining, and you make people laugh, and you make them smile, at some point you're going to get cheered.

• Paid Members

Fun WWE network drinking game, simply watch any show on there like Rivalries, Monday Night Wars, Stone Cold podcasts or the documentaries, get a bottle of any spirit you want and do a shot when someone says "standpoint".  You'll be hammered in no time!

Can’t say I’ve noticed that word, but I’m going to be watching NXT Takeover with a bottle tomorrow and take a shot every time, “For the win!” or “[Wrestler] stays alive” is mentioned.

He wasn't the only one. Cena lost the year before. At some point, the plan for Sandow must have been for him to win the world title, and then it got nixed when they decided they were going to do a big unification match soon. In his interview on Jericho's podcast the other day, he was being diplomatic and said if he had won the title with that, he may well have been a flash in the pan champion who'd faded to nothing by now like others on the roster and wouldn't be getting the Mizdow run.

Fun WWE network drinking game, simply watch any show on there like Rivalries, Monday Night Wars, Stone Cold podcasts or the documentaries, get a bottle of any spirit you want and do a shot when someone says "standpoint".  You'll be hammered in no time!

I noticed Vince using the phrase "things of that nature" often enough during his Austin interview to get you fairly buzzed.