Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

The Randy Savage documentary is a massive disappointment. It's so vague that it barely focuses on any specific other than the WM3 match with Steamboat. It just gently skips over everything and for the most part the talking heads are completely inconsequential. You've got guys like Hogan, Flair and Bret who don't talk about their matches and feuds just generally about his character. It jumps from 1989 to SummerSlam 1991 and then to the announcing and then to WCW without mention of the Macho King, Sherri, the Warrior match, the Jake feud, etc.

The major contributor is Lanny Poffo who seems full of shit for the most part. That there is no Vince McMahon on it is pretty inexcusable. It's not worth doing without hearing his side.

The last 15 minutes is pretty emotional and that and the 1993 interview that I hadn't seen before is all it's really worth watching for.

Starting the doc with highlights over a spinning tyre that screeches to a halt before going into his death in car accident is just the poorest taste imaginable. Even from WWE. Left a pretty bad taste in the mouth.

My chin fell to the floor when I saw this. Why on earth did they think that was a good idea? Bizarre.

I agree for the most part. For such a stellar career, they half arse most of it. Even when they covered topics like the Mega Powers it seemed very superficial.

The only thing they really went into detail on was his mental relationship with Liz.

I just read there that Vince McMahon Sr. had two sons, Vince Jr., obviously, and one out of wedlock, Roderick McMahon III. Has any information ever came out on Roderick McMahon, Vince's half brother? I'd never heard of him before.

I just read there that Vince McMahon Sr. had two sons, Vince Jr., obviously, and one out of wedlock, Roderick McMahon III. Has any information ever came out on Roderick McMahon, Vince's half brother? I'd never heard of him before.

He was mentioned in a backstage segment on the Raw where Bischoff was announced as Raw GM from what I remember, think Michael Cole mentioned him while everyone was wondering who Vince would put in charge

• Paid Members

Weren't there plans to bring him in for the McMahon funeral Raw after the limo explosion too? Could swear I remember something like that at the time.

He was at Raw the night of the Benoit tribute. He'd been talked into doing a speech for his dead bro.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Awards Moderator

Weren't there plans to bring him in for the McMahon funeral Raw after the limo explosion too? Could swear I remember something like that at the time.

He was at Raw the night of the Benoit tribute. He'd been talked into doing a speech for his dead bro.

Wow, never knew that. They were really going to go all out with the Dead Vince thing, weren't they? What was it supposed to achieve in the long run? What was the end game?

• Paid Members

Mr Kennedy was going to be the one who "killed" Vince and he was going to take over the company, by default since Mr Kennedy was actually Mr Ken Kennedy McMahon in "real life". But Benoit died, Kennedy then embarrassed himself by getting all high and mighty about wrestlers not taking steroids and then getting suspended for doing steroids, he got injured a bunch of times before they started his push again and eventually Mr Kennedy joined the Aces and 8s in TNA, because his career went down the bog.

Its so amazing to think that Mr fucking Kennedy was seen as the next Rock in their eyes. I cant remember anyone they were ever more high on than him. Its hard to get your head around. What were they on at the time? What a killer for him, though. I bet it was a shock when he got sacked.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Mr Kennedy is one of those who at the time (around 2006/07) was someone I would legitimately call myself a "fan" of, in that I looked forward to seeing him on the telly and wanted him to get the main event spot I thought he deserved. He was going to beat the Undertaker for the World Title too until he got an injury (that was actually misdiagnosed). However his stupid conduct in the aftermath of the Benoit incident and the way he's let himself go make me cringe to ever say I was a fan of his, what a shame. 

• Awards Moderator

You're not wrong that it's hard to get your head around, Ian. They we're going to bring Vince's brother in for Mr Kennedy?! You'd have to think he'd have had a main event spot for life if they'd had the chance to finish that story... You don't 'kill' the boss and then get released, or shoved into Midcard Purgatory... Even if it turned out Vince faked his 'death' and Kennedy got a comeuppance (or arrested for attempted murder, presumably), you couldn't buy into him going after the U.S. Title or something ever again.

Yeah, it's absolutely mad to think of. Cheers for the summary, Ian.

• Paid Members

In the strictly controlled WWE, Kennedy wasn't that bad. He delivered his promos well, his work was OK but not brilliant, his character was simple enough to dislike and he carried himself like a main event guy which put him head and shoulders above the rest of the mid-card. If he hasn't been a div I'm sure they would have gotten a decent run out of him.