Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Moderators

11 June 1980:

The Big Time (BBC One)

Another series of the programme which gives an amateur the chance to join the professional world of his dreams. Keith Rawlinson - wrestler Reporter Paul Heiney Keith Rawlinson is a schoolmaster in Burnley-but he has always longed to be a professional wrestler. Now The Big Time gives him the chance. It takes three months of strict training and body building during which Keith is advised by some of the biggest names in wrestling including KENT WALTON, BIG DADDY and World Lightweight Champion, JOHNNY SAINT. His big moment is a match - in an all-star bill at the most glamorous wrestling venue in the country - London's Royal Albert Hall.  Producer ESTHER RANTZEN Film editor ROGER GUERTIN Director NICK HANDEL

This was featured in an episode of Russell Brand's Ponderland:-

With a more detailed take on the show's incredibly violent set-up on an unwitting mark in my book down there in my sig.

Seriously, the whole show is horrifying. A three-month long-con where they beat the fuck out of someone, while psychologically setting him up to think 1) it's all real, 2) he has a chance.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

11 June 1980:

The Big Time (BBC One)

Another series of the programme which gives an amateur the chance to join the professional world of his dreams. Keith Rawlinson - wrestler Reporter Paul Heiney Keith Rawlinson is a schoolmaster in Burnley-but he has always longed to be a professional wrestler. Now The Big Time gives him the chance. It takes three months of strict training and body building during which Keith is advised by some of the biggest names in wrestling including KENT WALTON, BIG DADDY and World Lightweight Champion, JOHNNY SAINT. His big moment is a match - in an all-star bill at the most glamorous wrestling venue in the country - London's Royal Albert Hall.  Producer ESTHER RANTZEN Film editor ROGER GUERTIN Director NICK HANDEL

This was featured in an episode of Russell Brand's Ponderland:-

With a more detailed take on the show's incredibly violent set-up on an unwitting mark in my book down there in my sig.

Seriously, the whole show is horrifying. A three-month long-con where they beat the fuck out of someone, while psychologically setting him up to think 1) it's all real, 2) he has a chance.

• Moderators

7 February 1988:

Did You See...?

Ludovic Kennedy is joined by his studio guests for a review of Screen Two: Stanley (BBC2) Scottish Eye (Channel 4) First Tuesday (ITV) Guests: Muriel Gray Charles Kennedy Mandy Merck and Jacquie Hughes watches the recording of a tv wrestling match in Burnley and talks to Big Daddy and Kent Walton about the fortunes of their flamboyant sport. Film director KRISHNA GOVENDER Studio director ARCHIE BARON Producer Nicholas BARKER

Was the Klondyke Kate 40 minutes shown again in the 90s? As I swear down I've seen it, and I wouldn't have watched in 88 when I was 3.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Does Dean Ambrose still not have a good enough physique to wrestle with his top off? It's really starting to bother me now, as it was with Roman Reigns before he got put on the shelf. If they want these guys to be perceived as top guys they need to look the part.

I remember being surprised at Ambrose having quite a good physique when he wrestled without his flack jacket one time during The Shield days. I think Dean wearing a tank top is more about making a conscious effort to make him look different. He would look daft in jeans and no top every match, then if he wore trunks he would look like Curtis Axel and the rest of the blands if that hairlines continues to disappear.

Edited by Sexy Dad

• Paid Members

Earlier in the year I remember there being a great deal of discussion about the three Shield members and how they would be presented once the group had split up. Everyone had different ideas about what they should wear, it was exciting to see how these three uniformed men would be presented as distinct personalities. I appreciate the efforts to make the three of them stand out from the crowd by not going for the traditional boots and trunks look, but so far I have not been pleased with the results for any of them. None of them look like main event wrestlers. Judging by the pic Supremo has posted there, Ambrose would look great in some proper wrestling gear, but as it is he looks too indy, meaning he looks low-rent and rubbish.

• Paid Members

I actually thought Ambrose looked even more Indy than he does now when he wore trunks during his time in NXT.

ambrose.jpg

I'm not sure what it is, but he just doesn't look right in trunks and boots. Of the three of them, I'd argue Dean has the best gear since the Shield broke up. It's different enough to what he wore previously and it suits his character to dress like a scruff bag. Of the three, Seth is the one I'd be putting in trunks. Or maybe some tights similar to what Jericho used to wear. That shit Power Ranger outfit has to go though.

But yeah; for the amount of time the UKFF seemed to spend imagining what they would wear once they split up, it's apparant that nobody in the company had any idea until after it happened as nothing has really clicked.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Does anyone have a clue what this at the start of this video's off?

It was an episode of 'Send in the Girls'.

I Googled the Roman numerals after the Granada credits and crossed referenced the year with the producer and directors that were credited, and the 'Home Games' episode the voiceover man mentions confirms it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077079/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1 

The whole show is on YouTube: