Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Andre was on the Docklands Arena show on that tour, which was shown live on Sky Movies. He definitely worked two six-mans on the tour, in Belfast and Glasgow, though it's likely (and probable) that he never tagged in or did anything other than give Fuji a shove.

Didn't they tape a show in London during this tour where Andre hobbled down to ringside with the aid of a crutch. If so I can't imagine he worked a match, or even climbed into the ring at a house show.

I think you're right. Wasn't it after Earthquake supposedly injured his knee with Jimmy Hart's megaphone?

Don't think so, Rampage was in April, but the Earthquake attack wasn't until a month or two later.

I don't think Andre had the crutch during that tour - he did use Fuji's cane, which is probably what you remember.

Cagematch doesn't have that six-man listed for Andre. For WWE, it's got the WrestleMania VI match, then a rematch with Demolition just over a week later, then a year later he was in a battle royal on a house show just after the European tour:

WWF Intercontinental Title #1 Contendership 17 Man Battle Royal: The Texas Tornado defeats Andre The Giant and Bret Hart and Butch and Col. Mustafa and Earthquake and Greg Valentine and Hercules and Jake Roberts and Jim Duggan and Kato and Koko B. Ware and Luke and Paul Roma and The Barbarian and The British Bulldog and The Warlord

WWF House Show @ Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York, USA

And that's his lot, according to them boys.

Meltzer in the Observer from the time doesn't mention Andre wrestling in six-mans:

I should mention that Andre the Giant worked the tour as well, chasing a manager away from ringside, generally Mr. Fuji, every night.

Dynamite Kid was also at one or two of the shows as a second for Davey Boy Smith.

4/25 in Glasgow, Scotland saw Snuka pinned Brawler, Von Erich beat Warlord via DQ, Roberts pinned Berserker, Rockers beat Orients, Neidhart pinned Haku, Smith beat Earthquake via count out, Barbarian pinned Valentine and Piper pinned DiBiase.

Thehistoryofwwe.com also lists the Glasgow show as just being Rockers vs Orients, but does have the six-man in the Belfast results. Meltzer didn't list the Belfast results.

Edited by King Pitcos

Dynamite Kid was also at one or two of the shows as a second for Davey Boy Smith.

Is that true? I never knew about that - I know Dyno would've been up to it as he was still Wrestling in the UK and Japan but I didn't think he was on friendly terms with Smith and especially not with McMahon at that time. I'm actually re-reading his book at the moment.

The admin fee is 12% of the ticket price, which seems to be standard for the SECC. Seems massively high, but I've never bought tickets that expensive for anything.

Any BritWres groups that are packed and turning people away at the door at their shows at their current prices are undervaluing themselves.

• Paid Members

I just saw a picture of the LOD 2000 and was thinking back to how shit the Roadies were for years. I could talk about the Road Warriors for hours. It seemed like the whole time I watched them after they left in 92 it was with a thought of "they'll be back on form soon". That LOD 2000 thing was like post 1998 Paul Gascoigne. The magic just wasn't coming back no matter how you packaged them as babyfaces. It wasn't the gimmick, it was Animal and Hawk that were past it. They just didnt fit that role anymore. Aside from the Chicago Street fight at WrestleMania 13, The Road Warriors for me never looked any good since 1992. They were just hype merchants who you couldn't protect in the weekly TV era. After SummerSlam 92, they seemed like a pair of old relics in every run they had. Savage and Hogan updated their look in that era and switched to playing heels. Road Warriors should have tried the same thing. They should have joined the Corporation and sold a bit. I dont even think Hawk wanted to wear the crash helmets because he was so stuck in the old LOD way. They needed to try something completely different. But they never. Its amazing how they weren't any use to anyone by 1999. WCW didn't even want them back and they were desperate by then. A massive fall from grace.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Hawk was quite under-rated as a promo guy, I think. I loved the mini-promo he recorded as part of his bonus interview video (in which he looks surprisingly like Goldberg) on Legends Of Wrestling II.

"Speaking of what we'll do to our opponents, me an' Animal are quite fond of the medula oblongata, the brain stem, which controls all your bodily functions...which means, after we rip it out, you're gonna be wearing Depends for the rest of your life!"