Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Find me a match from Japan where Albert was good and I'll call you a liar. Been watching some stuff this afternoon and he was just as fucking crap as he always was! It could be the most impressive Power Slam/IWC myth of all time that he magically got good. What a complete load of shit, no wonder Tensai was such a disappointment when he came back.

Something that has been really bugging me lately is people going for covers and completely changing their body position so that they face the hard camera on the pin. I get why this is done, so they have the best shot of it and can see the facial expression of the person who's covering.

A lot of the time, however, it completely takes me out of the match because I know what they're doing. Instead of going for the pin straight away, they take extra seconds to get into position. The most obvious example was on Smackdown this week when Dean Ambrose gave Punk a double underhook superplex, jumped over him and did a complete 180 just so he was facing the hard camera. It looked really off.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Find me a match from Japan where Albert was good and I'll call you a liar. Been watching some stuff this afternoon and he was just as fucking crap as he always was! It could be the most impressive Power Slam/IWC myth of all time that he magically got good. What a complete load of shit, no wonder Tensai was such a disappointment when he came back.

This is pretty good. Not a case for Tensai being some kind of super-worker or anything, but he's far from shit here. I think it's from 2006, but not 100% on that.

• Paid Members
I watched 'The Greatest 50 Finishing Moves In WWE History' this morning.

A few bits of it annoyed me, and I wasn't going to come here and grumble about it until the VoiceOver at the end said "Let the message boards explode!". That smart-arse comment along with the description on the back of the case saying 'This contentious countdown is perfect for the hardcore WWE history buff' convinced me to write what was wrong with it.

I know they replaced the word wrestling with sports-entertainment years ago and have accepted it. But it suddenly dawned on me during this documentary that instead of "wrestling history" they refer to it as "WWE history". Sting never did the Scorpion Death Lock (referred to as The Scorpion Lock in the VoiceOver because Death is not a nice word) on a WWE show in a WWE ring, and Kerry Von Erich's Claw was replaced by the Tornado Punch by the time he arrived in WWE. So that is what made me realise this company now believes anything that happened in any wrestling company is a part of WWE history somehow.

Rey Mysterio's 619 was quite high on the list. Being one of the hardcore WWE history buffs that this is supposedly perfect for, I'm fairly sure he has never used this as a finishing move and pinned somebody immediately after hitting it. There may be one or two instances of this, but not enough for it to merit its position in the top 20 finishing moves of all time.

Yokozuna's finishing move was referred to as the "Bonzai Drop". Never seen it spelled like that before. A bit of a pedantic complaint I know, but it's all part of the message board explosion they predicted.

Still well worth the

I find it surprising that people still get worked up (no matter how minor) with WWE lists, HOF inductions, general inclusions / exclusions. They have larger overstated and understated enough things over the years for me to take anything with a pinch of salt. Whenever anything doesn't seem right from a historian position, I accept the source for what it is. It's just how WWE do things.

Something that has been really bugging me lately is people going for covers and completely changing their body position so that they face the hard camera on the pin. I get why this is done, so they have the best shot of it and can see the facial expression of the person who's covering.

A lot of the time, however, it completely takes me out of the match because I know what they're doing. Instead of going for the pin straight away, they take extra seconds to get into position. The most obvious example was on Smackdown this week when Dean Ambrose gave Punk a double underhook superplex, jumped over him and did a complete 180 just so he was facing the hard camera. It looked really off.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Do notice it. No biggy though. If I was a wrestler I'd want everyone to be looking at my face when I won a match, not my ass.

I find it surprising that people still get worked up (no matter how minor) with WWE lists, HOF inductions, general inclusions / exclusions. They have larger overstated and understated enough things over the years for me to take anything with a pinch of salt. Whenever anything doesn't seem right from a historian position, I accept the source for what it is. It's just how WWE do things.

Yeah, it's obvious that all of their "... Of All Time" lists are political, based on who they are on good terms with at the time. Stunner, Tombstone, & Pedigree were the Top 3 when this was made in 2012, but if they were doing it now I would expect Bruno's bear hug to break into the top 3.

Re-reading my post I realise it was very pedantic. After some deserved criticism from some UKFFers in 2012 for moaning all the time I actively set out to be more positive when deciding to post anything last year. So to start this year like that was poor form.

• Paid Members

I'd put the Sweet Chin Music ahead of the Pedigree. Maybe even the tombstone. The stunner and the super kick are perfect in that they hit everyone with it. They really did a good job in the mid-90s letting you know that if Michaels hit the super kick, it didn't matter if it was Vader, Diesel or the 123 Kid, the were getting knocked out.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Broadus Clay was on Miz TV this week on Superstars and cut a really good promo. I think they got a possible strong mid-card heel with him. Sadly when Tensai runs out they end up looking like two fat kids fighting over a Curly Wurly:

• Paid Members

He cut an awesome promo on NXT in 2011 when he was voted off. Brodus has been able to cut promos which make me go "I wouldnt like him sitting on me" since he was the NXT Wild and Young days. Totally wasted as a dancing fool. Could have made a King Kong Bundy style mid level heel.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay