Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Has there ever been anyone more obvious when calling spots than Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Jericho has often been noticeable, but this year he & Cena have been much louder and obvious than ever before. I've noticed you can often hear Jericho doing it but you can often see Cena doing it.

The first time Fandango laid Jericho out on Raw before WrestleMania; Jericho was telling him when to crouch down, when to look at him, when to look into the crowd, talking him through every move & gesture.

• Paid Members
Has there ever been anyone more obvious when calling spots than Stone Cold Steve Austin?

CM Punk, Chris Jericho, John Cena, The Rock... if you're actually looking for it, you'll find there are loads of big names that are bad for it. To be honest, I'd never really considered Austin to be one of the bad ones.

That's the point, i've never looked for it yet it's so obvious every single Austin match i've seen.

Great find. I'm surprised Pillman isn't talked about more today - in his physical prime, he could do the high-flying better than 95% of today's high-flyers... and this was 20+ years ago! You'd have thought he'd be an icon for all these 'ROH' type guys. Plus, the man could talk and his psychology was fantastic. Maybe the whole 'Loose Cannon' persona has actually overshadowed all this in terms of how he is remembered.

"A February, 1990, singles match against world champion Ric Flair drew the largest audience ever to watch a match on WCW Saturday Night, a show that lasted in one form or another, about 28 years".

Top fact!

I watched Hogan vs Piper from WCW Starrcade 1996 last night. What a shambles that finish was!

- The Giant walks down the aisle and, with no sneakiness or cunning, simply walks up the steps without breaking his stride and steps over the top rope before picking Piper up for a chokeslam.

- As referee Randy Anderson realises this is about to happen he turns away from Piper and starts yelling at Hogan.

- Giant holds Piper up in the air mid-chokeslam and looks around seemingly waiting for something to happen.

- A fan jumps the barrier and slides into the ring. Hogan & Anderson dash over to take him down. Hogan gives him a beauty of a knee right in the face.

- Arena Security drag him out of the ring and bundle him to the ground. Eventually Doug Dillinger (WCW head of security who Chris Jericho refers to as being completely useless in his first book) jogs over once the situation is handled.

- Hogan backs Anderson into the corner to distract him, but turns him the wrong way so he has his back against the buckles and his line of sight shows Hogan in front of him and a confused Giant holding Piper 8 feet in the air over his shoulder.

- Piper finally bites The Giant, breaking the goozle, and bundles him out of the ring.

- Hogan and Anderson stop yelling at eachother and head towards Piper.

- Piper puts Hogan in the sleeper until he passes out. Piper is the winner by submission.

- The commentators speculate whether Piper is the new World Champion or not, as it was never clarified in the 2 month build up to the match whether the bet was on the line or not.

Yeah, KOR96 at the end of June ended with HBK, Ahmed Johnson & Warrior standing proud after fending off Cornette's boys - leading to the 6 man tag at the next month's ppv.

But Warrior cleared off half-way inbetween and Sid was brought in to replace him.

So Pillman & Warrior must only have appeared at a handful of the same WWF shows, but that might have been all it took. Especially as Pillman could have been pissed off before ever meeting him due to the Melanie thing.

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

I've been watching the Brawl 4 All tournament from 98. Bart Gunn is the baddest man on the planet. The tournament went from people chanting "boring" to the fans chanting "Bart, Bart, Bart" during the fight with the Godfather. Bart was huge at the time as well. He was about 6'4" and jacked. He was in the best shape of his career. He wasn't much on the microphone, but he carried himself well during that tournament. Like a star even. They dropped the ball with him I think. He could have been a decent uppercard wrestler. Put a manager with him, and he'd have faired well. He was knocking people out for fun. Its mental to look at even now. Dr. Death, Godfather and Bradshaw all tasted the floor, and Bob Holly probably would have had they not been pals.

• Paid Members
Just love his look too, but even moreso since HarmonicGenerator pointed out that he could be made up to look like Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones with not too much work. Now, I've never seen Gane of Thrones but Drogo looks tremendous, total badass and I'm now desperate for just that to be done with Reigns one day.

I may be wrong, but I think it was probably Reigns' physical resemblance to the Drogo character that got him his final FCW nickname (The Thoroughbred, although that obviously works with his family background too), his trunks with horse imagery on them, and this awesome theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1S3oWbRiE

I hope he reclaims all three as and when he breaks away from The Shield.

• Moderators
I've been watching the Brawl 4 All tournament from 98. Bart Gunn is the baddest man on the planet. The tournament went from people chanting "boring" to the fans chanting "Bart, Bart, Bart" during the fight with the Godfather. Bart was huge at the time as well. He was about 6'4" and jacked. He was in the best shape of his career. He wasn't much on the microphone, but he carried himself well during that tournament. Like a star even. They dropped the ball with him I think. He could have been a decent uppercard wrestler. Put a manager with him, and he'd have faired well. He was knocking people out for fun. Its mental to look at even now. Dr. Death, Godfather and Bradshaw all tasted the floor, and Bob Holly probably would have had they not been pals.

You know the best of it? I remember him getting his Brawl 4 All championship, which was a silver or gold boxing glove, on an episode of Shotgun fucking Challenge by a "I don't want to be here, you twatted my mate" Jim Ross.

• Paid Members
I've been watching the Brawl 4 All tournament from 98. Bart Gunn is the baddest man on the planet. The tournament went from people chanting "boring" to the fans chanting "Bart, Bart, Bart" during the fight with the Godfather.

I just watched this. As stupid as the whole tournament was, him knocking out The Godfather with a right hook is still a shock even now. They really should have done something decent with him.

I've been watching the Brawl 4 All tournament from 98. Bart Gunn is the baddest man on the planet. The tournament went from people chanting "boring" to the fans chanting "Bart, Bart, Bart" during the fight with the Godfather.

I just watched this. As stupid as the whole tournament was, him knocking out The Godfather with a right hook is still a shock even now. They really should have done something decent with him.

Perfect opportunity to give him a mid card push.

Pity.