Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

While playing around with WWE '12 I can't help but notice that Create-a-Move seems to force you to go through the most pointless and convoluted path available to you before you reach the top rope Styles Clash. Makes you wonder if this is a subtle dig from WWE/the developers, or just the ridiculousness needed to get two human bodies into these positions. Either way it speaks volumes...

Edited by CoreyVandal

In another match, someone else hit I think four superkicks in a row and didn't even go for a pin. In another, a team hit a tilt-a-whirl tombstone piledriver/sweet chin music combo, and got a two, and then the match carried on for like another ten minutes. Diabolical.

Because ROH wrestlers are super tough obviously.

2poyw6u.gif

This gif always brings a smile to my face. ROH ROH!

Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members

WWE.com feature - 15-superstars-who-shouldve-been-bigger-deals

Jim Mitchell / Sinister Minister

British Bulldog

Ed 'The Bull' Gantner

Brad Armstrong

Terry Taylor

Saturn

Dr Tom Prichard

Bam Bam Bigelow

Britzkrieg

Mike Awesome

Hakusi

Chris Candido

Raven

Magnum TA

Jindrak & O'Haire

Safe to say that's a predictably unpredictable list there. Never even heard of Ed Gantner.

Edited by Arch Stanton

WWE.com feature - 15-superstars-who-shouldve-been-bigger-deals

Jim Mitchell / Sinister Minister

British Bulldog

Ed 'The Bull' Gantner

Brad Armstrong

Terry Taylor

Saturn

Dr Tom Prichard

Bam Bam Bigelow

Britzkrieg

Mike Awesome

Hakusi

Chris Candido

Raven

Magnum TA

Jindrak & O'Haire

Safe to say that's a predictably unpredictable list there. Never even heard of Ed Gantner.

It's a strange one alright. Raven definitely, Bam Bam, and possibly O'Haire are about the only ones I'd really agree with. None of the others, whether good or bad, strike me as being massive missed opportunity for one reason another (of the ones i'm familiar with anyway - haven't heard of this bull fellow, and have saw so little of the Sinister Minister, I can't even remember my thoughts!). Magnum surely Isn't even a valid answer for the question, and there's a couple that, on the contrary, i'd say have overachieved - Mike Awesome being the obvious one.

A lot of them were good, some even great - like Bulldog and Armstrong. I loved Hakushi too, but it's hard to see how much higher up the ladder they could all realistically have climbed.

• Paid Members

Raven could perhaps have been a bigger deal in WWE, but arrived at a time when the roster was just ridiculously packed with talent. It's not difficult to see why they didn't push him any higher up the card back then. Nearly everyone else I think did about as well as could be expected. Not many strong talkers on the list at all.

Raven could perhaps have been a bigger deal in WWE, but arrived at a time when the roster was just ridiculously packed with talent. It's not difficult to see why they didn't push him any higher up the card back then. Nearly everyone else I think did about as well as could be expected. Not many strong talkers on the list at all.

Yeah, I'm not really taking circumstances and politics into account, just a general "success against level of talent" gauge, as I thought Raven was brilliant in everything he done. Johnny Polo just as much. loved scotty Flamingo too. Good wrestler, great character(s), and a great talker. I even came across him on a few youtubed vids from Portland and he was such a talent back then which must've been no later than 90-91.

I suppose you can't knock his spell in ECW as it allowed him to develop the character, but he really was too good for that level. Spending over 3 years there during his prime years was just a waste. Then when he finally did get to a big promotion, he seemed to be doing well for a while, until he won the belt, lost it the next night and it all seemed to go downhill from there. A year later, he was getting over pretty well as a babyface, until he fucked his shoulder up and that was that. Had the circumstances been different, that might've been the time when he would have had his best chance of pushing on to another level.

By the time he got to the WWF, he was never going to be world title material or anything, but he was good enough to at least maintain that level he was at around WM17-Backlash over his whole few years in the WWF. It's always reported that Vince hated him, possibly for being a bad influence on Shane if some of the stories are to be believed. Whatever the reasons though, it wasn't for a lack of talent. He had the charisma and mic skills to easily do well in a higher profile spot, even if it took another gimmick change.

The Blitzkrieg mention is spot on. He is genuinely one of my favourite WCW midcarders ever and could have been one of the best cruiserweights of all time, but managed to do something that many wrestlers never do, hang it up in their prime.

Every bone in my body aches for a Blitzkrieg return to wrestling.

Speaking of Blitzkrieg, this is from 2011.

Ringside to Bedside: Former pro wrestler finds purpose in nursing

If words like smack down, hiplock, mule kick, lateral toss, arm chop and front head shuck have been part of your profession’s vocabulary, it’s safe to say deciding to become a nurse is going in a different direction. Needing a nurse, not that big a stretch.

But Jay Ross, a member of the former World Championship Wrestling (WCW) organization who went by “Blitzkrieg” or “Fabulous Blitzkrieg,” sees no problems in the transition ahead.

ross_jay.jpg

Jay Ross with his son Marcus

Ross, 34, is graduating from the School of Nursing in May.

On his road to becoming a nurse, Ross also was an acrobat, a massage therapist, a yoga instructor, a roofer and a journeyman building reservoirs and excavating dams in Southern California. He advocated for several causes, including “Food Not Bombs” and “Homes Not Jails. ” For several months, Ross participated in a Mojave Desert sit-in that eventually stopped a proposal to make part of the area a nuclear waste dump.

If Ross had stayed with the WCW, he would have probably been a millionaire by age 30.

His injuries, however, were numerous — one of the reasons he stopped. He remembers, for example, doing a “skytwisting spring board moonsault” (a back flip off the ropes onto his opponent) at a show in Japan. Instead of his opponent properly catching him — Ross landed head first onto concrete and ended up in the hospital with a concussion.

Raised a Catholic, Ross became a Buddhist after immersing himself in the readings of Siddhartha Gautama.

“In Buddhism, we refer to people who compassionately act on others’ behalf as bodhisattvas,” Ross said. “I see nursing as true bodhisattva work.”

Eight years ago, Ross began raising a toddler when a friend was no longer able to care for him. The boy will be 10 in June.

The real value to society, he said, “is in its countless, nameless men and women in various health services and teaching professions. I prefer to be in the company of health care professionals at this point in my life.”

As a nursing student, Ross says he has seen people at their most vulnerable.

“It is a very privileged position to be in,” he said. “You can really demonstrate unique human behavior by showing compassion and sincere caring. I believe this kind of behavior can be contagious.”

For his senior year internship, Ross is working at Dell Children’s Medical Center. He loves pediatrics and will probably go back and earn an advanced practice nursing degree — perhaps become an anesthesia nurse, pediatric nurse practitioner or some type of family nurse practitioner.

“People trust that nurses are competently and sincerely advocating for them,” said Ross. “I can’t say that about anything else I’ve done.”

Entertainment like professional wrestling can be good medicine, he said, because it “de-stresses people, but nursing provides well being, which is beyond comparison.

“The biggest difference in the two fields is that on stage you have to do big things to get a reaction. But, with a patient, something as small as offering a towel can have a big impact.”

Edited by The Crystal Maze

The answer to the question "Why did <blank> not become a bigger star" there is often "They kinda did, just not in WWE".

Raven was the biggest indy star in the world for ages in the 2000s, was TNA's biggest star and their World Champ. He did lots; just not in WWE. Same is true of James Mitchell, he had a good managerial run in TNA.

The Blitzkrieg mention is spot on. He is genuinely one of my favourite WCW midcarders ever and could have been one of the best cruiserweights of all time, but managed to do something that many wrestlers never do, hang it up in their prime.

Every bone in my body aches for a Blitzkrieg return to wrestling.

Steady now, he was just a fun, flashy spot monkey, only notable for being about the only one who could do the insane twisty stuff at that time with Mr Aguila toning things down in the WWF and nobody knowing of Venum.

He wasn't exactly the second coming of Rey Jr.