Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Fair points, but I seem to recall thinking it was a bit of a step down for Triple H. Probably because it was one of the lesser matches on the show (and Sheamus and his title run wasn't much cop).

Having watched the full show again, I agree that there wasn't really a bigger spot for Triple H that year. Maybe a three way for the title, but that sort of kills the good story they were telling with Batista and Cena.

Edited by ColinBollocks

What's the general consensus on Pillman's WCW run?

I don't suppose we know, as he isn't really talked about much, but the consensus should be that Flyin Brian was amazing!

I was always a sucker for high flying prettyboy types, and along with The Rockers, he was about as good as it got.

Everything he done was great imo. I always used to wish he'd turn up on WWF in his tiger stripe days.

And the great thing about WCW, the tonnes of weekly tv it put out, and not seeing much of it back in the day, is that there's always loads of stuff still to see. Recently, I've been digging out some of 1990 Pillman, mostly tag stuff w/ Z man, and enjoying it a lot.

You're right about that Wargames match, it was class. It feels like it's ended up being kinda forgotten because of the following years, but there wasn't much in WCW better than it in 1991. Pillman was always great at high energy sprint-type matches too, like the Superbrawl singles match seeing as you mentioned those two going at it. But there's dozens of good examples. Sub 5 minutes matches against all types from Norman to Meng.

Yeah, i'm a fan ;)

Edited by Reznor

• Paid Members
The opening 5 minutes of WarGames 91 was so good. Pillman and Windham just going full throttle, the rest of the match is also great, the stereo figure fours and a super performance from Flair. Pillman was the MVP though, so much so that I decided to re-watch a lot of his WCW run. What's the general consensus on Pillman's WCW run?

Pillman's one of my all time favourites. Everything they had him do in WCW he excelled at. A really versatile performer and what I liked about his matches is that a lot of his moves look a little bit messy but they also look like they hurt, which is far more important than making them look beautiful. The Hollywood Blondes were a brilliant tag team as well

My only exposure to Pillman's work was his WWF run, and viewing/reading the ECW promo stuff.

Is it fair to say that his serious injuries, and perhaps other factors stemming from them, blighted his performances in the Fed?

• Paid Members

Absolutely. He didn't wrestle many matches at all and you can see during the Goldust feud that he was really hampered. As much as I still enjoyed him and the Hart Foundation, I thought he sometimes got a bit lost in that group as well.

The DVD WWE did on him is fantastic, though, well worth seeing for both the documentary and matches.

After watching The Road Warriors dvd, I wonder in late 1992 how Animal would've fared getting a single push after Hawk left if he hadnt got injured, he had the size the look and was over enough he could've filled Ultimate Warriors slot as painted up powerhouse (if people still wanted one at that point) but not sure if he would get swept up in the steroids scandal.

He was also working with Crush as his partner on House Shows not sure how a repackaged LOD would've got over on tv though

It would've been interesting to see him working with Bret, HBK, Razor, Diesel. Luger etc

• Paid Members
Someone's scanned up the itinerary they gave to the wrestlers and crew when they came over for Summerslam 92.

http://imgur.com/a/AoyBD

$1.94 for the pound? When was the last time that happened?

Edited by seph

Someone's scanned up the itinerary they gave to the wrestlers and crew when they came over for Summerslam 92.

http://imgur.com/a/AoyBD

$1.94 for the pound? When was the last time that happened?

Didn't it reach circa $2 to the pound after 9/11? I seem to recall a lot of people going to Florida on their holidays in the early naughties and coming back with lots of clothes etc!