Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Isn't Doink one of the most commonly ripped-off gimmicks on the UK American Wrestling scene? Everytime I see one of these shows you can guarantee there'll be a Doink and an Undertaker on the bill.

Funny thing is, they push it as "Amercian" style wrestling and you end up with Team England (the Babyfaces) wrestling a series match against Team Nasty or some such, waving the Jolly Roger I've been to two of their shows, and there aren't really any ripoff gimmicks on the card. So sticking doink on the posters just seems random and strange. If you're going to rip off a masked gimmick, why not modernise and do Rey Mysterio, Kane or Sin Cara?

My local social centre is running a show on Friday. They have a fancy looking banner, but it has Doink the Clown on it.

Doink the Clown

Granted, its a easy gimmick to rip off, dress em like a clown, and you have Boink, or Dornk or Droik, but when you bread and butter is kids, why rip off a gimmick that was probably passe before most of your, ahem, talent, was born, let alone your audience?

Is that the one at Shirebrook? I saw them at Arkwright a couple of years ago. It wasn't great. I think I'm going to do UWE in Cresswell instead. The Paul Malen vs Bully Boy Carter chain match sounds woth the extra pound admission.

My local social centre is running a show on Friday. They have a fancy looking banner, but it has Doink the Clown on it.

Doink the Clown

Granted, its a easy gimmick to rip off, dress em like a clown, and you have Boink, or Dornk or Droik, but when you bread and butter is kids, why rip off a gimmick that was probably passe before most of your, ahem, talent, was born, let alone your audience?

Is that the one at Shirebrook? I saw them at Arkwright a couple of years ago. It wasn't great. I think I'm going to do UWE in Cresswell instead. The Paul Malen vs Bully Boy Carter chain match sounds woth the extra pound admission.

It is UWE In Creswell that are using Doink on their banner :laugh:

Edited by Doctor Whos Next

It was UWE In Creswell that was using Doink on their banner :laugh:

Was it? This could be a turn up then. I've seen 2 of their shows recently. The first one had the Original Undertaker and Sin Cara UK on it. The second one had no "tribute" acts on it.

I'm looking forward to the chain match. Paul Malen had a decent match with Spitfire Johnson(?) in Chesterfield plus we won the raffle.

I'm really hoping Doink turns up now.

There's a few things I've noticed lately that I have to get off my chest (but I don't post often enough so it's all coming in one go).

1. Been watching a lot of 1989/1990 WCW lately and Ron Simmons took some really dangerous bumps for Scott Steiner. In just about every match they had, Scott dumps big Ron on his head with a German Suplex. I wouldn't have thought at the size he was back then, Simmons would have been too keen to take that sort of a fall.

2. Linked to the first thought, Scott Steiner was simply amazing at this stage in his career. Lately in the matches I've been watching, I've seen him do his back-flip Blockbuster slam on both of Doom and Sid Vicious, and to this day, I've never seen anyone do the Frankensteiner better. I also saw him do a sort of MMA roll-through leg lock onto Hawk, who looks absolutely terrified (possibly for good reason - but it's strange to see that expression on Hawk's face).

3. I watched the Kevin Steen vs El Genericho ladder match from a few months back and just can't see anything at all in Kevin Steen. I just think he looks like a tubby teenager pretending to be a wrestler.

4. Chris Jericho looks really silly these days, what with his concave chest and daft tattoos. Surely he must be embarrassed by the state that his body looks?

• Paid Members
3. I watched the Kevin Steen vs El Genericho ladder match from a few months back and just can't see anything at all in Kevin Steen. I just think he looks like a tubby teenager pretending to be a wrestler.

I bet there's loads of wrestlers in WWE and TNA who wish they could cut a promo like him, though. I really like the bloke. Cracking wrestler as well. I hope TNA or WWE snaps him up. WWE wont with those tits, but TNA has Samoa Joe on the roster. Let them eat cake, I say.

Mind you, Bray Wyatt was a tubby sod. Still Steen in developmental for a year (which they normally do anyway), and they'd make something out of him for sure.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I bet there's loads of wrestlers in WWE and TNA who wish they could cut a promo like him, though. I really like the bloke. Cracking wrestler as well. I hope TNA or WWE snaps him up. WWE wont with those tits, but TNA has Samoa Joe on the roster. Let them eat cake, I say.

Mind you, Bray Wyatt was a tubby sod. Still Steen in developmental for a year (which they normally do anyway), and they'd make something out of him for sure.

You're right actually - I was a bit harsh. His promos are particularly good - and if I listened to him with my eyes closed I'd be quite into him. It's just I can't take him seriously the way he looks, with his double chins, bum-fluff beard and crap gear. Maybe this says much more about me than Steen though - I'm just a shallow fan!

Edited by fraserbee

• Paid Members

Here's some little compilations of Kevin Steen from ROH and PWG. Some pretty cool stuff on him if you can get past his look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-6HP0TDMws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCyYtsE5gMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdk92fdXTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGZccm508kY

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

If they ever make a film about the McMahons, the girl from The Middle would be perfect to play Steph:

Eden%20Sher%202013%20Winter%20TCA%20Tour%20Day%207%20pAsXwQe4_tJl.jpg

Eden Sher. She's really hot IRL.

That is all.

It's just dawned on me that Mick Foley is only 47! Genuinely thought the guy was in his 50's, he's completely on his arse!

In terms of what? Being a wrestler? Yes, he's best days are long gone... but he's knocking on 50. You don't exactly get a second wind going at that age, especially with the style he is known for - and the style that got him so far - especially in a very different wrestling climate.

But he is far from being on his ass in general. He was just in the closing segment of Raw, was in the HOF this year, has a new DVD out, is currently on a comedy tour and he still has name value. He isn't like Raven having to record a dozen shoot interviews and run seminars for spare change and heroin money, or Balls Mahoney who is probably doing Bum Fights right now..

Edited by TheShowOff

• Moderators
If they ever make a film about the McMahons, the girl from The Middle would be perfect to play Steph:

Eden Sher. She's really hot IRL.

That is all.

You really love them little sitcom girls don't you?

Have you seen the Netflix promo pics for the new series of Arrested Development? You will be disappointed to know that Maebe is looking significantly older these days.

She IS 21 to be fair. But, yes.

Don't tell me about Maebe, I don't want disappointment. Anyway, she's a model nowadays so she can't be too bad looking.