Short films

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Also in the feature length film of the same title. Short was made in 1979. Film must have been 1985. Great stuff.

Film was surprisingly late, in 1989 - I remember it being on at the pictures.

EDIT - half right. Completed in 83, released in 89.

Edited by Tuxedomoon

• Paid Members

Also in the feature length film of the same title. Short was made in 1979. Film must have been 1985. Great stuff.

Supposed to be a big hoopla as to who actually owns the film now. Never released on DVD. Producers that were actually in the film version (playing themselves) turned out to be crooks in real life. Whole thing is rather murky. Great film though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Supposed to be a big hoopla as to who actually owns the film now. Never released on DVD. Producers that were actually in the film version (playing themselves) turned out to be crooks in real life. Whole thing is rather murky. Great film though.

Mike Jitlov has a bizarre website, selling WoST merchandise, and old tax forms, and Star Trek cereal boxes.

• Paid Members

Crikey, there's a blast from the past. I remember seeing a "making of" feature about it on (I think) Rolf's Cartoon Club and being fascinated. It was years later when I finally got to see it. My sister hated it, and gave me grief for several days afterwards, and occasional moments for the next few years. It was her reasoning as to why I shouldn't be allowed to pick what film the family gets to watch.

Fucking love the Wizard of Speed and Time! It is seriously one of, if not my actual favourite film of all time. Jittlov is the fucking king of stop motion, there is a Jittlov approved DVD version going about that is a transfer from the laserdisc version. It also has all of his Animato films on too iirc.

The Snafu over rights is afaik no only to do with the producer, who er, starred as er, the producer in the film, but the distribution company that went horribly tits up and they held the masters to ransom (echoing events in the film) and have since been lost in a vault/stockpile/something or other. Due to the way the distribution company was broke up, no one seems to know who actually owns the rights to them or where the masters are, either.

Shame as more people deserve to see it. The soundtrack pops up on occasion on ebay sold by John Massari directly,

I remember this too, and it's sad to see that he pretty much never worked again afterwards. Looks like he worked on Ghost, and that's about it.

• 5 years later...
  • Paid Members

6 year bump!

Been watching a load of short films lately, mostly by "females", and this one might be my favourite of all of them.

Also watched this one yesterday which was almost equally as great.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Two Distant Strangers (Netflix)

I was interested to see Netflix investing in short form cinema at last but maybe they should re-think that. This was absolutely awful. A timeloop film that decides to tackle Serious Business, that of #BLM and ACAB, and it bludgeons over the head with barely concealed metaphors, and is appallingly acted by everyone, especially Joey Bada$$, who is apparently one of those rappers you get these days.

The highlight:-

Spoiler

When Bada$$ gets shot by the cop for the last time, his blood puddle forms the outline of Africa.

One of the worst but inadvertently hilarious things I've ever seen. Absolutely sure to win the Oscar for best live action short.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Saw some chat about La Cabina and this got mentioned. 

The Black Tower by John Smith. Really good stuff and thought it might be of interest to some on here. A man believes a tower is following him around London. 

• Paid Members

Years ago when very stoned, I remember reading someone's description of that on a forum in a thread about spooky/weird tales and it creeping the fuck out of me. Didn't quite freak my nut out in the same way when I eventually saw it, but it's pretty great. 

Edited by gmoney

I only ever heard of this because Eli from Cheapshow is in it but it's genuinely great, I love the idea of a council guy going around making small odd sounds and sights so a city feels alive with those background details. I could definitely see it being a longer film one day.