Short films

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

A lot of the original Twilight Zone episodes started life as short films and are still some of the bext examples of short film narrative you can find, The Cabinet reminds me a lot of them (especially the ending) Im sure youve already seen a lot of them Gladders but if not check them out

Butch, I've got a mate who worked on Human Residue. He's got a DVD of it, I dunno if it's a work print or rough cut or incomplete or what but they definitely gave him something on DVD. They made a cover and stuff as well. Looked like it'd be rubbish. It is an absolute nightmare trying to make a feature film for nowt though. Every cunt has a million better things to do than turn up for the next shooting block. It's like herding cats.

• Moderators

My mate was one of the principals. At one point they realised they didn't even have a script and tried to get him to write something in order to tie it up.

They did like a trailer, and all that bollocks before really doing anything. What's the DVD of?

I've never watched it. I never do. If it was crap I'd feel awkward, if it was good I'd feel jealous. I've never really quizzed him on it. I was under the impression the DVD was some version of the full film though, did they not finish it at all? I remember my mate (who did sound on it) saying it had been a three week shoot and everyone worked for free, which I thought was good going. For all I know, the DVD is just the trailer. [Edit: I do recall the film wasn't finished but I thought it was just that it needed loads of effects work doing. I could be completely off the mark with it though, it was about four years ago I think.]

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
A lot of the original Twilight Zone episodes started life as short films and are still some of the bext examples of short film narrative you can find, The Cabinet reminds me a lot of them (especially the ending) Im sure youve already seen a lot of them Gladders but if not check them out

Absolutely love The Twilight Zone and also Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Tales Of the Unexpected - any series of that ilk, I really enjoy, and I think the reason I enjoyed La Cabina so much was because it really was exactly like a top quality Twilight Zone episode. Actually, the original Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock series are now on US Netflix.

• Paid Members

As short stories they are fantastic. TZ has always been one of my favorite TV series.

There is an old Dickens short story called The Signalman that got a short film treatment in the 70's I want to see. It's quite chilling. Denholm Elliot was in it.

• Paid Members

As short stories they are fantastic. TZ has always been one of my favorite TV series.

There is an old Dickens short story called The Signalman that got a short film treatment in the 70's I want to see. It's quite chilling. Denholm Elliot was in it.

Here it is:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmBkK7N3Hhc

BBC did quite a few of these around this time, including the now fairly legendary Whistle And I'll Come To You. They did them as part of their Ghost Story At Christmas slot for a few years.

• Paid Members
Here it is:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmBkK7N3Hhc

BBC did quite a few of these around this time, including the now fairly legendary Whistle And I'll Come To You. They did them as part of their Ghost Story At Christmas slot for a few years.

Top quality find there Gladstone, cheers.

I have actually never seen Alfred Hitchcock presents. Is it in similar vein to the Twilight Zone and is it worth tracking down.

• Paid Members
Top quality find there Gladstone, cheers.

I have actually never seen Alfred Hitchcock presents. Is it in similar vein to the Twilight Zone and is it worth tracking down.

With any of these kinds of series, it could be hit and miss but it tended to be more of the former than the latter. It's also less based around supernatural elements and if you like Hitchcock's films then you should like this series although he was only personally involved in the making of a handful of a few of them.

• Paid Members

Aii, that sounds alright to me, I'll track it down, I have come to realise that not being able to walk means I can slob around watching stuff like this.

Twilight Zone was a great series until the 4th season when they went to hour long episodes. Really died about a bit in quality. Shame, the first two seasons are some of the best short morality/life isn't fair stories on TV.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Twilight Zone, there's a great episode called An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge which was originally a short film. There's hardly any dialogue in it and it features, in my opinion, one of the best endings to any Twilight Zone episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7n4LeRB6js

EDIT - Unrelated to Twilight Zone but this creeped me out when I first saw it.

Edited by Green