Short films

Devon Malcolm

The Short Films of David Lynch is worth watching. If you like David Lynch. "The Cowboy and the Frenchman" is hilarious.

As mentioned earlier, Kenneth Anger is a master of the medium. Scorpio Rising, particularly, is great if you like gay satanic bikers and ironic usage of rock'n'roll songs.

Shane Meaddows has a good one about wrestling, which is an extra on one of the DVDs. Apologies for vagueness.

One of the greatest resources on the internet.....this Website has hundreds of avant garde films on there by hundred of different film makers ranging from the 50's to modern day......a lot of punk and trash cinema and a lot of pretentious post Warhol art shit to but you could literally spend a week watching films on this site.

Seriously great site there is too many great films to choose from but I have always been a big fan of Richard Kern's no wave films

http://www.ubu.com/film/index.html

Edited by Stormy Weathers

• Paid Members

Couple of absolute corkers I've watched just now:-

is based on the video games and is totally excellent. It's only 5 minutes long. The leading lady looks a bit like Cathy Barry as well, I think.

is also excellent. This was nominated for an Oscar a couple of years ago, and deservedly so. You think it's going to be one thing but you are totally wrong. Great ending, well worth seeing overall. It's about 17 minutes long.

• 9 months later...
  • Paid Members

BUMP.

Here's another few really good ones that are well worth seeing:-

* Signs - lovely little film about two people who fall for each other via communicating in signs -

* The Cameraman's Revenge - this was made in 1912 and it's made using reanimated dead insects. It's not as weird as it sounds and it's absolutely great - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIC0Sb6pLvI

* Bus 44 - Chinese short film about the aftermath of a couple of blokes hijacking a bus, absolutely devastating -

* The Alphabet - an early David Lynch short which has you realise that, yeah, he's always been like that - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhMlUd6b7iM

I love shorts, there used to be a TV channel on Sky Digital a few years ago called Shorts TV, the time I probably wasted sat in watching that channel! I'm sure the channel still exists but it isn't on Sky anymore, I think they still show it in some other country though. Remember watching some brilliant stuff on there but sadly can't remember the names of any of them as it was such a long time ago.

• Paid Members

Here's the film I made for my dissertation

. It's not great but it's the first 15minute piece I've worked on.