My Best Film: Clint Eastwood

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Favourite is Every Which Way But Loose. Absolutely loved that when I was a kid. Best is an almost impossible choice between Dirty Harry, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. I'd probably go Dirty Harry which is just phenomenal.Best performance is Gran Torino. Clint is incredible in it. It's a fantastic story too. I think the only thing that lets it down is that nearly everyone except Clint is a terrible actor.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a sleeper film for Clint but I've always had a soft spot for Heartbreak Ridge, nice mix of comedy and pathos from Eastwood as well as some great dialogue between him and Mario Van Peebles character Stitch Jones.

• Paid Members
Best performance is Gran Torino. Clint is incredible in it. It's a fantastic story too. I think the only thing that lets it down is that nearly everyone except Clint is a terrible actor.

I almost think Clint did it on purpose, as he knew this was going to be his last starring role in a movie and didn't want to risk anyone outshining him so decided to hire the worst bunch of actors imaginable. The girl who plays the sister is fit though.

• Paid Members
Best performance is Gran Torino. Clint is incredible in it. It's a fantastic story too. I think the only thing that lets it down is that nearly everyone except Clint is a terrible actor.

I almost think Clint did it on purpose, as he knew this was going to be his last starring role in a movie and didn't want to risk anyone outshining him so decided to hire the worst bunch of actors imaginable. The girl who plays the sister is fit though.

He's actually got a new film out in a month or two. Justin Timberlake is one of his co-stars.

For me it would be Unforgiven. The pacing, the dialogue and the feel of the film were all top notch. I also would say I have huge love for the Outlaw Josey Wales and In The Line Of Fire, but artistically Unforgiven probably pips them both at the post.

There was another film I think it was called Play Misty For Me, he plays a DJ and gets stalked, that's pretty good too.

• Paid Members

Almost all of the Hmong actors and actresses were non-professionals when they were cast in Gran Torino and he wanted genuine members of the Hmong community to be in the film, so I think it's a little unfair to suggest that it was a deliberate ploy to make him look good. I didn't think any of them were that bad either.

• Paid Members
Almost all of the Hmong actors and actresses were non-professionals when they were cast in Gran Torino and he wanted genuine members of the Hmong community to be in the film, so I think it's a little unfair to suggest that it was a deliberate ploy to make him look good. I didn't think any of them were that bad either.

I don't think the Hmong actors were too terrible, but the white actors are really really awful. The guy who plays the priest is probably the worst actor I've ever seen in a major movie.

• Paid Members
Bit of a sleeper film for Clint but I've always had a soft spot for Heartbreak Ridge, nice mix of comedy and pathos from Eastwood as well as some great dialogue between him and Mario Van Peebles character Stitch Jones.

Good shout.

Other Eighties film worth a mention are "Pale Rider" (not one of his best westerns, but still pretty entertaining). "Bronco Billy" is always on ITV somewhere on a Saturday afternoon. Quite decent that one. Not the best "Dirty Harry" film, but "Sudden Impact" is also fun, especially the cafe scene when he haggles over his coffee.

Clint's a toughy.

Best Film is a four way tie : Kelly's Heroes, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, High Plains Drifter and Coogan's Bluff. All of which are excellent

Others that I like

Heartbreak Ridge

The Rookie

Play Misty for Me

Space Cowboys

The Dirty Harry Films

Where Eagle's Dare

White Hunter, Black Heart

• Paid Members

big Clint fan!

i didn't really become a fan until i got hold of Dirty Harry around 7-8 years ago, it was the time where i really started to take more of an interest in film, i loved it and ive loved Clint ever since. I'd still probably have Dirty Harry down as my favorite too.

On an Eastwood related note, there's the awesome 30 for 30 boxset available (probably cheap these days), but i highly recommend you try getting hold of the companion book to go with the DVD set. I got it in The Works for about

• Paid Members

Dirty Harry!

I used the work in a video rental store & I decided to watch every classic I hadn't seen (and I had seen more than lots of people) out of all of them the one I remember being the best was Dirty Harry, such a fucking great film. I love the Spaghetti Westerns too but Dirty Harry is the one, it's aged so well.

Are the sequels any good? Never checked them out for some reason, I think they couldn't live up to the first one for me.

• Paid Members

The sequels are all worth seeing. Clearly they're not as good and by the time The Dead Pool rolls around they're quite ridiculous. That said, Magnum Force as a standalone film is absolutely excellent in its own right. I love Magnum Force.

Archived