My Best Film: Clint Eastwood

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

After he went a bit mad at that Republican thing a few days ago, I thought we needed to talk about Clint from better days, and the many of them that there were.

For me, it's Dirty Harry. The quintessential and perfect 1970s cop thriller that set the benchmark for so many to come. I still harbour hopes that the franchise will return and focus on Callahan's early days as a cop set before Dirty Harry. I think that could be great.

But then again there's High Plains Drifter. And In The Line Of Fire. And The Beguiled. And Every Which Way But Loose.

Maybe these will help you out:-

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Dirty Harry & Unforgiven are the two that instantly spring to mind. Although not up there with the aforementioned 'A Perfect World' is often overlooked imo. A wonderful understated performance from Clint, a brilliant lead turn from Costner & the kid in it is great too

• Paid Members

Unforgiven definitely. Utterly amazing performance.

Gran Torino is also great as he gets to do the grizzled tough guy act aswell as his likeable everyman schtick and manages ot get alot of comedic moments in there too. It shows all his range.

• Paid Members

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for me, I'm a huge Westerns and Clint fan and he was great in these films but especially the latter two, I always find it hard to decide between this and For a Few Dollars More but think TGTBATU just about edges it because of the great story and Clint's interaction with Eli Wallach. Fantastic actor is Clint though he's had so many crackers throughout his career.

• Paid Members

You're a knob if you haven't seen Where Eagles Dare, by the way. Brilliant film and a great early non-Western role for Clint. Definitely a big influence on getting him more roles outside of the Western genre. Here it is in full:-

http://stagevu.com/video/gpdxrfzzsrav

By the way, the guy that runs the channel that's on, Texasdude, has a fantastic array of films on there. Put yourself a couple of hours aside to browse everything he has, it's well worth it:-

http://stagevu.com/uservideos/Texasdude

• Paid Members

I fucking love Clint Eastwood.

I've owned up on here before to being ripped off by the Clint Eastwood version of those ridiculous DeAgostini film collections so I own on DVD almost everything he's ever done (including shite like Tarantula where he plays "uncredited squadron leader").

Rather than repeat the films others have mentioned I'll throw in a shout for either Escape From Alcatraz or Two Mules For Sister Sara which are both great.

Gladders hit the nail on the head here though.....

You're a knob if you haven't seen Where Eagles Dare

• Paid Members

A Fistful of Dollars (I haven't seen the other two all the way through yet) or Gran Torino. Fistful of Dollars has probably my all-time favourite opening scene. I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home tonight I'll post a YouTube link if I can find one.

I'm quite sure that this will change when I eventually watch TGTBATU all the way through, though. Loved him in Gran Torino, played the cantankerous miserable old bastard role perfectly- but in such a way that you loved the character.

• Paid Members
A Fistful of Dollars (I haven't seen the other two all the way through yet)

You must. It's one of the greatest trilogies of all time. They are all really rewarding in different ways.

I'm glad Martyn mentioned Escape From Alcatraz. I recently did a review of it because it was the 50th anniversary of Frank Morris and his friends' escape and they had a gathering on Alcatraz to mark the day, just in case they decided to return - should they still be alive, of course. It's one of the best prison films of all time and I reckon it's every bit as good as The Shawshank Redemption.

• Paid Members

Oh I definitely will, I have the trilogy sitting on my shelf at home. My Dad is getting right pissed off though, I borrowed them from him a couple of years ago (Red Dead obsession) and still have only watched the first. The missus is staying round her sisters tomorrow night, seems like a good time as any to watch them.

Archived