Tony Scott Dies aged 68 -RIP

Richie

• Paid Members

Very sad news, director of some of my favourite films growing up. Top Gun is still up there with my all time favourite films. Seems like suicide from the news reports

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19314967

Hollywood director Tony Scott 'jumps to death from bridge'

20 August 2012 Last updated at 05:55

Hollywood director Tony Scott, famous for films including Top Gun, has died after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, the authorities have said.

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office said Scott's death was being investigated as a suicide.

British-born Scott, brother of Alien director Ridley, shot to fame in the 1980s with a string of action films.

The 68-year-old's blockbuster hits included Crimson Tide, Days of Thunder and Beverly Hills Cop II.

The coroner said Scott jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, which spans San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles.

Lt Joe Bale, from the coroner's office, said the director was seen parking his car and jumping into the water at about 12:30 (19:30 GMT) on Sunday.

His body was recovered from the harbour less than three hours later.

"We will go where the facts take us. We have no reason to believe it was not a suicide," Lt Bale told the BBC.

Scott was famous for his fast-paced blockbusters, and carved out a distinctive style to his films using fast editing and digital effects.

He made a number of films with actor Denzel Washington, including Man on Fire and most recently Unstoppable.

At the time of his death, he was rumoured to be working with Tom Cruise on a sequel to Top Gun.

• Paid Members

Crazy news. On form he made some tremendous films. True Romance and Top Gun being my favourites.

That's awful news. :omg:

One of me mates has said something about having unoperable brain cancer, not sure how true it is though as cant find anythiing about it.

Last Boy Scout and Enemy of the State are fantastic.

RIP

• Paid Members
That was what sprung to mind when I heard about it, such a shame and one of the best directors to come from this country RIP

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I won't be surprised if it's news similar to this as taking your own life at 68 is a bit strange.

I loved Tony Scott with True Romance being one of my favourite films. Man on Fire is incredible as well.

Really shocked hearing the news this morning even though their is no definite type of person who would commit suicide my first thought was "he doesn't seem the type" :(

Big fan of True Romance, Beverly Hills Cop II and The Last Boy Scout, shame the last two Tony Scott films i watched were Hunger and Unstoppable.

That was what sprung to mind when I heard about it, such a shame and one of the best directors to come from this country RIP

It's a major shock but lets not go overboard. He made some entertaining films but he probably wouldn't make a top 20 or 30 british directors list.

• Paid Members
Really shocked hearing the news this morning even though their is no definite type of person who would commit suicide my first thought was "he doesn't seem the type" :(

Big fan of True Romance, Beverly Hills Cop II and The Last Boy Scout, shame the last two Tony Scott films i watched were Hunger and Unstoppable.

It's a major shock but lets not go overboard. He made some entertaining films but he probably wouldn't make a top 20 or 30 british directors list.

I don't think he'd come top of many people's lists but he was easily one of the most successful British Directors of the last 30 years. Some of those films have made stupid money. He was a key part of the Bay/Bruckheimer school of MTV editing in films. Top Gun is still being copied now. Would be interesting to see how much his films made compared to his Brothers

Let's just hope suicide doesn't invalidate his life insurance then! Mind you, he must be worth a pretty penny, I'm sure his family will be well cared for.

• Moderators

I didn't know him by name until I read about this news today, but checking out his credits he has made a bunch of really fun films. Last Boy Scout in particular was a childhood favourite.

Sad way to go.

Off topic - Loki that new sig of yours is doing my nut.

• Paid Members

yeh, Scott never really got that name recognition of his brother or other top directors where it's a big deal to have his name on the poster, i still most people think True Romance was directed by Tarantino. Tony made quality entertainment though throughout his career.

Archived