Debt Collection Emails - For Someone Else's Debt

Stephanie

• Paid Members

The first time it happened, I deleted the email and blocked the email address but today I got another one. This time from British Gas. It was legit, I cross-referenced the phone numbers with the actual British Gas site. I guess Collections are using email and the internet more these days. They are chasing a debt for someone I've never heard of that lives at an address in the UK I lived at almost 10 years ago. This is concerning to me, surely there are some kinda privacy violations? Either for me seeing that someone else is in debt and them using my email address. I did call them and asked that they remove my email address from their system.

Wondered if anyone had any similar experiences?

• Paid Members

Yup, I am in the US.

Upon doing a little research it seems it's not uncommon for creditors/companies to chase people by email and even text messages.

My email address must have been tied to that address somehow as I've had it for years.

• Paid Members

They will try every address they can link to the property and person and any person who has lived at that property, just on the chance they find them, without having to refer onto a trace agent and incur costs. They're just trying every avenue to get their money.

• Paid Members
Is business booming for bailiffs in these dark times?

Yeah. A bit like when Michael Caine smugly looks up at Kermit the Frog and declares Christmas as 'harvest time for the money-lenders'- hard times means debt collectors are called in a lot more frequently and a lot quicker.

• Paid Members

Just reply saying this isn't the persons debt, they will stop hassling you. I used to get loads of letters from someone who used to live at this address but just sent an email saying the person ain't here and it stopped.

Well, they can balls. I just wondered where they could have possibly gotten my email address from.

Stick your name into google and see what comes up, you might be suprised.

This is true,

Yours,

Keith goatse lemonparty Houchen.

• Paid Members

Just reply it's not you. Although it is bizarre they've tied your email address to the property.

I keep getting 'final warning'-type letters meant for the previous tenant of where I'm living. Nothing's happened so far, and I've been there for three years. I just keep writing 'No longer at this address' and re-posting.

• Paid Members

I've had this with British Gas - chasing me for unpaid bills for a property that I moved out of. They even took it upon themselves to open a brand new gas account for the property in my name and bill me for it, the cheeky bastards, then sent a bailiff round.

It clearly wasn't my debt, since the period being billed was after I had moved and someone else had moved in, which was fairly easy to resolve since I just provided them with evidence of when I moved out. They put it right, apologised and gave me a compensatory credit to try to make up for it... which of course they applied to the incorrect account and wiped when they closed it down. Clowns.

Similarly, again with British Gas, I've had bills addressed to me, chased, then passed onto debt collection services which do relate to the property I now live in, but relate to a period long before I moved in. Again, by giving them evidence of when I moved in (and, you know, when I actually set my account up with them for the property) it was quickly resolved.

I've also had them try to bill me for about a year against the completely wrong meter, relating to next door (or possibly the brewery they had attempted to hold a knees-up in...).

Conclusion - British Gas are bellends.

I run my own debt advice company and you would be surprised how often this happens. I will be honest and say British Gas I have never heard of this happening with them before but it certainly doesn't surprise me

The problem is that a lot of these companies still do not check information. So for instance the house switches over but the records are not changed properly. In Stephanie's case her email address was left on. Other times a tracing company looks at all the recent information on behalf of the company and then sends out contact letters/ emails/ calls to see what shit sticks. Half the time innocent people will pay just down to fear. Simply provide evidence you did not live there at the time as stated should solve everything.

A friend of mine had it with a debt collector where they had contacted him for about

• 4 weeks later...

I'd report it to the police. I don't know if that's the absolute right course of action, but it'd be my next step under those circumstances.

I have to say I wouldn't have sent them all that personal info though! It's for them to prove you owe them money not the other way around.

Some links for you:

Protection from Harrassment Act

Office of Fair Trading guidelines

Archived