Debt Collection Emails - For Someone Else's Debt

Stephanie

I worked in debt collection for four years (albeit with a financial institution rather than a debt collection agency). Debt collection agencies are, I believe, subject to the adjudication of the Financial Ombudsman. If you can't get anywhere with Cabot directly, they can arbitrate. Alternative is to raise the matter with the Office of Fair Trading. While you'd be surprised how many people refuse to take responsibility for their own debts, leading to skepticism from the DCA, this is obviously a case of mistaken identity so they should get off your case.

• Paid Members

I get hassled by debt collectors all the time. Because I owe them money. But they don't know where I am. I have a place where all the letters and shit go. I've never had any fear of them for some reason. Oh no, a letter in red writing. Shitting myself.

Hopefully this is all being sorted now but to put a few steps in place in case you have not done so yet

Ask them to produce a copy of a signed credit agreement/ proof you took out and agreed to the debt. its up to them to prove you took out this debt not for you to prove they didnt just because they are accusing you. The problem is the more you rise to them the more they will chase for cash.

Tell them if they fail to do so and do not get off your case you will go to the office of fair trading (they are the ones for harrasment not the FOS who are more about where money has traded hands in some aspect bank charges, ppi, unauthorised payments etc)

Complain either online or the phone to the OFT who will then look into your case

Archived