The Belt Thread

Rule One

• Paid Members

I'm sure you don't but... clearly being a belt enthusiast, the tone of your posts almost comes across like you detest Austin a bit for treating the belt like shit. Although those quirks added to his character tremendously.

I will reiterate that I adore this thread, I'm fascinated by a lot details and these points about Austins treatment are interesting as it was something I thought about when watching Austin back in the day. He was the first to ever do that sort of thing and watching at the time I did wonder about damage, not knowing what happened with the belts and their maintenance. He used to drag it along the floor or ramp too didn't he?

You mentioned Bubba Dudley was reckless with belts too, what was he guilty of? I think he launched it into the ring ala Austin and threw it about a bit sometimes. Was that the brunt of it or was there anything else?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you don't but... clearly being a belt enthusiast, the tone of your posts almost comes across like you detest Austin a bit for treating the belt like shit. Although those quirks added to his character tremendously.

I will reiterate that I adore this thread, I'm fascinated by a lot details and these points about Austins treatment are interesting as it was something I thought about when watching Austin back in the day. He was the first to ever do that sort of thing and watching at the time I did wonder about damage, not knowing what happened with the belts and their maintenance. He used to drag it along the floor or ramp too didn't he?

You mentioned Bubba Dudley was reckless with belts too, what was he guilty of? I think he launched it into the ring ala Austin and threw it about a bit sometimes. Was that the brunt of it or was there anything else?

From their perspective I suppose it's just a prop they use when they play the role of champion.

• Paid Members

I think The Undertaker used to do this, too, during his first reign if I remember rightly. I might have imagined it, though.

I think that you really have to carry the belt in the way that is befitting your character anyway, and if it means chucking it around or dragging it about, so be it.

Many people have done it over the years, the earliest instance of this I have seen was around the 50's. Terry Funk trashed the NWA World Heavyweight title during his reign in the 1970's. I don't detest Austin for his treatment of the belt, I understand that it was a part of his character, I was just pointing out why that particular belt got into its current state.

Bubba Dudley was pretty much like Austin, tossing, slamming and general abuse of the belt. Many wrestlers do the same its just that those two stand out the most.

For me, having a first hand experience in making a belt and seeing what hard work goes into the process of doing so is why I bemoan some of the damage what has been done to belts.

• Paid Members
Amazing thread. I would love to see a write up on the Dragongate Japan belts. They are all great looking titles.

Ooh yeah, I second this. With the keys and everything. Could be a really cool writeup.

RuleOne - You own Austin's belt now I assume? Impression I got from that post...

Or someone on a private forum does and likes to keep it private, that's what I got but I'm probably wrong.

Anyways, this is one of the best, most informative threads I have ever read on UKFF. Excellent stuff.

For me, having a first hand experience in making a belt and seeing what hard work goes into the process of doing so is why I bemoan some of the damage what has been done to belts.

Can I ask what the belt you worked on was - A replica or an original?

Once again, thank-you to those who comment in/and read this thread.

@Mim731: I'm currently working on the ECW titles, I will do the WCW World Tag-Team after those. Two more sets of World Tag-Team belts were made for WCW. One was exactly like the final versions used on television but with the starship WCW logo and the final pair featured the same main plate with the starship logo but featured WCW United States Heavyweight title side plates with the starship logo on them. Only one of the final pair ever saw the light of day as Joe Marshall (J-Mar) dropped one of the main plates in production and it cracked, he never bothered with them after that. The other set of plates were sold, leathered and then sold again. Its whereabouts today is unknown.

These are the first of the pair I mentioned. I cannot show the final design.

WCW%20World%20Tag-Team%20Title%206.jpg

@SSJLogan & Opcws: The DG belts will be put on the to do list. I think I have a nice piece on the belts somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out.

@King Jon: No, I wouldn't pay the fee wanted for the belt even if I had the money. It was a very costly acquisition for its owner.

@Keith Houchen: The person who owns the belt is on a forum but is very rarely seen on it. The pictures I posted have been around for some time and aren't exactly private.

@Alanchiz: I've worked on bootlegs and original designs.

Cheers Mr Lister for the link, I got wind of that a few days ago but didn't post it as I've had no time. I'm glad they have ended up with Dave Millican, they will be treated with the utmost respect in his hands. I just can't believe how good a state they are in.

Anyway, back to the grind. I said I was doing the ECW belts, first up is the ECW World Tag-Team titles. I apologise in advance about the pictures as they're not the easiest to find, especially clear ones and I want to avoid posting replica pictures. I should have the other ECW belts done by the end of the week, should being the key word.

Thank-you for commenting and reading. If you have any questions, just shoot and I will try and answer as best as possible.

ECW World Tag-Team Titles

23/6/1992