The Belt Thread

Rule One

Another top post, cheers - very interesting reading.

In regards to that last picture, it raises a point Ive often wondered about....

whats the story with belts being spraypainted? Obviously the gangstas and nWo did it, possibly others - does that ruin the belt, or can it be restored afterwards?

I remember when I first saw Hogan do that It seemed a bit of a shame, and wondered if that means they needed a new belt

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another top post, cheers - very interesting reading.

In regards to that last picture, it raises a point Ive often wondered about....

whats the story with belts being spraypainted? Obviously the gangstas and nWo did it, possibly others - does that ruin the belt, or can it be restored afterwards?

I remember when I first saw Hogan do that It seemed a bit of a shame, and wondered if that means they needed a new belt

Generally if a belt is spray painted then it is part of an angle. I can't think of any instances off the top of my head where a belt has purposely been spray painted.

Belts can be restored depending on the methods used, usually with a bit of grit, a belt can be cleaned up but if the paint has settled or ate at the plating then it would have to be stripped and re-plated, though that method is cheaper than paying for a new one.

The WCW World Heavyweight title that Hogan spray painted was the original and used since its introduction in February 1986 up until Scott Steiner switched it over in 2000. The belt had to be releathered, repaired and re-plated many times throughout its run.

ECW World Television Title

12/8/1992 – 27/8/1994 – NWA – Eastern Championship Wrestling Heavyweight Television Title

27/8/1994 – 4/2001 – Extreme Championship Wrestling World Television Title

First Holder: Johnny Hotbody

Last Holder: Rhino

First Maker: Mike Vartanian

ECW%20Television%20Heavyweight%20Title%201.jpg

Second Maker: Mike Vartanian

ECW%20World%20Television%20Title.jpg

Third Maker: Joe Marshall

ECW%20World%20Television%20Title%206.jpg

• The first title was originally promoted as the National Wrestling Alliance – Eastern Championship Wrestling Heavyweight Television title. The belt was made by Mike Vartanian and featured only a single plate which incorporated elements of Mike Vartanian's ECW and TWA Heavyweight and Tag-Team titles designs.
  • The titles first champion was Johnny Hotbody who defeated Larry Winters on the 12/8/1992 within that he became the first man to hold both of NWA – ECW's singles titles. In 1993 he would become the promotions first triple crown winner when he wins the tag-team titles alongside Chris Candido and Chris Michaels as part of the Suicide Blondes trio.
  • Johnny Hotbody relinquishes the title due to and ankle injury and cannot defend it within ECW's 30 day defence ruling. The title is declared vacant on the 12/9/1992.
  • Glen Osbourne become the second champion by defeating the Sandman after the two were the finalists in a battle royal on the 30/9/1992.
  • During February 1992, Glen Osbourne is forced to vacate the title but the reasons were never fully disclosed as to why although he was later allowed to enter the forthcoming tournament to crown a new champion.
  • Jimmy 'Super-fly' Snuka wins the tournament final by defeating Glen Osbourne on the 12/3/1993. He becomes the second man in ECW's history to have held both NWA- ECW's singles titles.
  • Sabu wins the title on the 13/11/1993 in a tag-team match also involving his partner Hawk against King Kong Bundy and then champion Terry Funk where the stipulations of the match allowed the title to change hands. Sabu pinned Terry Funk.
  • 2 Cold Scorpio becomes the first person to win the title twice when he defeats Dean Malenko on the 18/3/1995.
  • Mikey Whipwreck wins the title from 2 Cold Scorpio on the 29/12/1995 in a match which was for 2 Cold Scorpio's World Television and World Tag-Team titles which he and the Sandman held. Cactus Jack imposes himself as Mikey's World Tag-Team title partner.
  • 2 Cold Scorpio would take the World Television title back just seven days later on the 5/1/1996. It was 2 Cold Scorpio's final reign with title in which he broke the record for most reigns with four. This stood until ECW ceases operations during April 2001.
  • During Shane Douglas's second reign as champion, ECW award him with the second version of the title. The belt was made by Mike Vartanian and the main plate was a virtual copy of Reggie Parks WWF World Heavyweight title. (1988 – 1998) The four side plates were circular and featured the flags of Canada, Japan, United Kingdom and the United States of America. (Plate order went: Canada – United States of America – United Kingdom – Japan)
  • Taz defeats the then longest reigning champion of 329 days, Shane Douglas at ECW's Wrestlepalooza event on the 7/6/1997 in under five minutes.
  • During his reign Taz uses a customised version of the second title design which was made by Mike Vartanian. The belt is same design apart from the top area of the main plate featured Taz's name and the strap was orange. The belt would later become the first ECW Fuck The World - World Heavyweight title.
    ECW%20World%20Television%20Title%207%20(Taz%20Version).jpg
  • Rob Van Dam wins the title on the 4/4/1998 from Bam Bam Bigelow which started his record breaking reign.
  • During Rob Van Dam's reign which spanned 23 months over three calender years (1998/1999/2000) and lasted 700 days, he defended the title over 100 times. It was also during his reign that the third and final design was awarded however there were problems before the title was awarded to Rob Van Dam. The belt was made by Joe Marshall and was originally nickel plated (Silver) and rumour has it that Rob Van Dam thought it not only devalued himself and his reign as champion but also the title itself. The nickel design was never used and the secondary title was kept in place until the revamped third design was ready. The third and final design debuted during late 1998 but still had to worked upon. The belt fully integrated during early months of 1999.
    262w45i.jpg
    (Original versions of the third designs of the ECW championships. The World Heavyweight and World Tag-Team titles pictured were used, however the nickel plated World Television title, was not.)
  • On the 29/1/2000, Rob Van Dam suffers a serious leg injury during a title defence against Rhino.
  • On the 4/3/2000, exactly 700 days, 23 months to the day he won the title, Rob Van Dam is forced to vacate the title due to the injury he sustained on the 29/1/2000. The vacation was played as part of an angle featuring 'The Network' who sought the titles vacation for their pre-approved champion. (Rhino)
  • At ECW's Living Dangerously event on the 12/3/2000, Super Crazy upsets tournament favourite, Rhino, to win the title.
  • At ECW's Cyberslam event on the 22/4/2000, 'The Network' approved Rhino wins the title from former stable mate, Tajiri, who won the title from Super Crazy on the 8/4/2000 and refused to hand it over to the network.
  • Rhino becomes the final ECW World Television champion when he defeats Kid Kash on the 9/9/2000. Rhino would hold the title until ECW ceased operations in April 2001. During his reign Rhino would also win the ECW World Heavyweight title from the Sandman on the 7/1/2001 at ECW's Guilty As Charged event.

The first titles whereabouts is unknown.

The second title is in possession of Rob Van Dam.

Rob%20Van%20Dam%20With%20The%20ECW%20World%20Television%20Title%204.jpg

The third title was in the possession of Rhino but was later stolen from his bag at an event.

Edited by Rule One

The WCW World Heavyweight title that Hogan spray painted was the original and used since its introduction in February 1986 up until Scott Steiner switched it over in 2000. The belt had to be releathered, repaired and re-plated many times throughout its run.

That would make it a bit like Trigger's broom surely.

That would make it a bit like Trigger's broom surely.

No because the plates were never remade. The plates stood the test of time as such but work was carried out to them. Trigger's broom/Ship of Theseus paradox would stand if the plates were remade too.

The third title was in the possession of Rhino but was later stolen from his bag at an event.

:laugh: Yo yo yo etc...

Speaking of the FTW belt, will you be looking at non sanctioned belts like the FTW title and the Millon Dollar Belt?

On reflection.

"Ted Dibase Bought it... Virgil legit left it at an airport once... Virgil won it, Dibase won it back, it went into a safe at titan... Austin held it for a bit... went into a safe.... Ted Jr held it for a bit.... went into a safe the end."

Edited by Doctor Whos Next

[*]During Rob Van Dam's reign which spanned 23 months over three calender years (1998/1999/2000) and lasted 700 days, he defended the title over 100 times. It was also during his reign that the third and final design was awarded however there were problems before the title was awarded to Rob Van Dam. The belt was made by Joe Marshall and was originally nickel plated (Silver) and rumour has it that Rob Van Dam thought it not only devalued himself and his reign as champion but also the title itself. The nickel design was never used and the secondary title was kept in place until the revamped third design was ready. The third and final design debuted during the early months of 1999.

I maybe wrong, as I am having no luck finding proof and no longer have the videos, but i am sure RVD wore the third design at November To remember 98 yet had the winged eagle design at Guilty as Charged 99. It was something I noticed and bugged me years ago when I had the tapes. I will keep searching for proof that I am not imagining this.

[*]During Rob Van Dam's reign which spanned 23 months over three calender years (1998/1999/2000) and lasted 700 days, he defended the title over 100 times. It was also during his reign that the third and final design was awarded however there were problems before the title was awarded to Rob Van Dam. The belt was made by Joe Marshall and was originally nickel plated (Silver) and rumour has it that Rob Van Dam thought it not only devalued himself and his reign as champion but also the title itself. The nickel design was never used and the secondary title was kept in place until the revamped third design was ready. The third and final design debuted during the early months of 1999.

I maybe wrong, as I am having no luck finding proof and no longer have the videos, but i am sure RVD wore the third design at November To remember 98 yet had the winged eagle design at Guilty as Charged 99. It was something I noticed and bugged me years ago when I had the tapes. I will keep searching for proof that I am not imagining this.

@BWO: You are right as such, I will correct the note. However the belt still needed to be worked on and didn't fully come into action until early 1999.

Thank-you for pointing it out. I was sifting through quick notes when I wrote it up. I should be more stringent when doing future write ups.

@Doctor Whos Next: I'll probably do those sorts of titles but they'll be hardly anything wrote about them.

@Opcws: Yeah, a lot of people don't like the belt, I do. It could do with a different leather cut and different side plates but for what is going to be used for it is good. WWE is more about brand awareness when it comes to their titles so from a logical stand point, it is good for them.

Dave Millican made the title and has pictures up on his site but the design was drawn up by the WWE. They do all the belt designs and then ship them out pn order to a belt maker of their preference.

Edited by Rule One

• Paid Members

It looks like something you'd see on Conan The Barbarian.

I've always thought that Rhino's story of not appearing on the last ECW show because he "didn't want to believe it was over" was an excuse not to drop any titles, although I'm sure someone on here said the idea was to have him retain. Either way, the above is a bit funny.

@BWO: You are right as such, I will correct the note. However the belt still needed to be worked on and didn't fully come into action until early 1999.

Thank-you for pointing it out. I was sifting through quick notes when I wrote it up. I should be more stringent when doing future write ups.

You don't get a good look at the belt during the match, but you can clearly see it in the black and white promos. Were they black and white to hid the colour of the TV belt?

November to Remember 98 Main Event

RVD vs Lance Storm Guilty As Charged 99

You don't get a good look at the belt during the match, but you can clearly see it in the black and white promos. Were they black and white to hide the colour of the TV belt?

November to Remember 98 Main Event

RVD vs Lance Storm Guilty As Charged 99

More than likely but IIRC there were just a few touch ups that needed to be made to the belts and is the reason that when it did feature on television, it was mainly kept out of clear shot.