The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone listen to Tito's interview on the MMA Hour? After hearing that, I can kind of see why he didn't sign Cyborg to the UFC deal and instead went with Invicta.

It appears that the UFC wanted her to sign to an eight fight deal, with a set increment for the duration of the deal. Ortiz is figuring that Cyborg signs this three fight deal with Invicta, blows her three opponents away, thus creating more interest in seeing her fight in the UFC, which will allow them to go back to Zuffa after that deal is completed and renegotiate from a stronger platform, especially if Rousey keeps winning as well.

It's a gamble as far as Cyborg winning her fights, but it's worth it I guess.

• Paid Members
That's how it is now, that's how it's always been and that's how it'll always be.

I'm not disagreeing with you Ebb. Just that the UFC have never been so blatant about it before, they always kept up kayfabe about it being the best vs the best. Now at least they've come straight out with it & given up the pretence.

• Paid Members
Did anyone listen to Tito's interview on the MMA Hour? After hearing that, I can kind of see why he didn't sign Cyborg to the UFC deal and instead went with Invicta.

It appears that the UFC wanted her to sign to an eight fight deal, with a set increment for the duration of the deal. Ortiz is figuring that Cyborg signs this three fight deal with Invicta, blows her three opponents away, thus creating more interest in seeing her fight in the UFC, which will allow them to go back to Zuffa after that deal is completed and renegotiate from a stronger platform, especially if Rousey keeps winning as well.

Yeh its also to do with not having her tied down i think. Tito's probably worried that Cyborg does her Invicta deal and then gets left in contract limbo.

• Paid Members
I imagine Sherdog has exploded, too.

Twitter in general has and it's still going on this morning. Although I would suggest that the majority of them will be picked up by if not Bellator, WSOF, RSA, XFC, SFL, One FC & the UK orgs at least. Some of the UFC Roster must be quaking eh, Mr Garcia.. I would expect to see more cuts after the next few events too if they are making way for the TUF & Strikforce guys.

• Paid Members

I was kind of hoping Etim and Sass would escape the axe despite theim both coming off decisive back to back losses. Both were usually exciting. I think Sass will likely be back, he's young enough so there's time.

Not all that surprised at Fitch to be honest. It was clear he was never a favourite with the Zuffa big bollocks. I don't think I've ever seen Joe Silva look as happy as he did when he was in the cage immediately after Hendricks sparked Fitch. The manner in which Maia dominated him gave them the perfect excuse to bin him.

I guess it's kind of a mild surprise just because Fitch was in that top 2 or 3 for so long at 170, it was hard to imagine this happening, but it was always on the cards. As soon as he dropped a couple of losses he'd get less leeway because of his style.

EDIT - oh Maynard vs Grant could be a great fight. UFC 160 is looking like a frontrunner for MMA event of the year on paper, along with the Japan card.

• Paid Members

reports are starting to surface that Silva/Weidman is on for July 6th.

what a fucking merry-go-round this has been, even though i think Weidman earned his shot hes gotta be thinking some higher powers been at work and paved for way for him.

i'll be putting a few quid on him.

• Paid Members

It's about time we heard something on that front. Weidman has been pretty lucky with how things have played out with Bisping, Belcher etc losing, GSP not taking the fight with Anderson and so on. It's really left Weidman as the only option.

Weidman's skillset makes him a very interesting opponent for Anderson. I'm not totally sold 100% yet though. He looked great against Munoz but even that, it came out that Munoz had a fractured foot going into that fight. Still a great performance from Weidman but that was far and away his best win and there's still question marks on how fit Munoz was. The Maia win was a big win on short notice but still an awful fight.

I don't know. He might be the man, he might be just another Anderson Silva victim. Jury's still out for me, especially considering Weidman will have been out a whole year by July. Can't wait to see it though.

• Paid Members

I've made my feelings on Weidman clear a while back, but he really should be fighting a Belfort, Bisping, Lombard, Rockhold etc etc.

For me, he needs a big win over a big name on PPV on a big event to really make a name of himself.

• Paid Members

Cyborg winning three fights in Invicta won't change her negotionable platform whatsoever. She could win a thousand fights in Invicta. She'll still be a proven drugs cheat who casual fans barely know of and have rarely seen. I mean, does Invicta even have a TV deal? I fail to see how it raises her profile or generates interest to either the mass audience or Joe Silva, who promotes with them in mind.

Nobody bar extremely hardcore fans are going to see those Invicta fights, so the interest to see her compete against Rousey isn't going to change to anyone bar the smallest of minorities. If she wanted to generate proper interest in a fight with Rousey then she should've taken the UFC's offer, got some proper exposure on a show more than a couple of thousand of people are going to see, and then gone from there. Smash a couple of girls on FX or FOX and call Rousey out when they stick a microphone in your face. That's how you generate interest and raise your profile and it's from there that you can eventually renegotiate a deal.

Accept what the UFC think you're currently worth, do the handful of Invicta fights they require of you, eventually get in front of UFC fans on a national level and then make yourself a star. Make yourself relevant. All going to Invicta is going to do is waste a shit load of time before they go back to the to the UFC and get offered a similar deal because she's in the exact same position she was previously. If Dana's calling you irrelevant now then what's he going to call you when you're another year removed from the exposure you received on Showtime?

Tito is a fucking moron.

The UFC wanted her to sign an eight fight deal, with at least a few of those bouts happening in Invicta. The issue they had, according to Tito, is that the pay scale on that deal wasn't attractive, and that eight fights was far too long to be tied down at that kind of money, which wouldn't be negotiable regardless of her success (apparently).

Instead they'll fight in Invicta with their new three fight deal, and over that period Rousey will fight in the UFC, most likely racking up wins which will raise her profile. Eventually the UFC will come knocking at Cyborgs door again, and by that point Cyborg will have fought three times (bear in mind that she hasn't fought since December of 2011) and hopefully looked impressive.

As I said, it's risky, but they didn't want tied down to an eight fight deal at the money on offer, simple as that. Time will dictate whether it was a good move or not.

• Paid Members
Eventually the UFC will come knocking at Cyborgs door again,

That's not a guarantee though. She's been nothing but a pain in the arse for them, as well as making the sport look bad by failing the drug test and looking the way she does. She's a PR disaster and there's every chance they might think she's simply not worth the hassle, particularly when her new stance is that she'll never ever make 135. Why even bother signing her at that point? Once she's had those three fights in Invicta the other girls will have had a couple of fights in the UFC, raised their profiles and created interest in title shots. All while Cyborg is fighting in the minor leagues, with nobody bar hardcore fans seeing or giving a shit.

and by that point Cyborg will have fought three times (bear in mind that she hasn't fought since December of 2011) and hopefully looked impressive.

What difference will it matter if she looks impressive or not? Nobody is going to see it. It won't make any difference to her stock. Her profile won't rise. Interest in a fight with Rousey will stay exactly the same. Why would they offer her more money? She'll be in the exact same spot. Someone who hardcore fans might love, but who casual fans either don't know, or know of as a drugs cheat. It won't make any difference whatsoever.

Time will dictate whether it was a good move or not.

Yes it will. Like when time dictated how bad a move it was for Tito to challenge Dana to a boxing fight, then make himself look a complete twat by eventually turning it down. Tito's an absolute idiot. Why anyone who choose him as a manager is beyond me.

Archived