The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

She's been nothing but a pain in the arse for them, as well as making the sport look bad by failing the drug test and looking the way she does. She's a PR disaster and there's every chance they might think she's simply not worth the hassle, particularly when her new stance is that she'll never ever make 135. Why even bother signing her at that point? Once she's had those three fights in Invicta the other girls will have had a couple of fights in the UFC, raised their profiles and created interest in title shots. All while Cyborg is fighting in the minor leagues, with nobody bar hardcore fans seeing or giving a shit.

What difference will it matter if she looks impressive or not? Nobody is going to see it. It won't make any difference to her stock. Her profile won't rise. Interest in a fight with Rousey will stay exactly the same. Why would they offer her more money? She'll be in the exact same spot. Someone who hardcore fans might love, but who casual fans either don't know, or know of as a drugs cheat. It won't make any difference whatsoever.

All of the negatives you mention are still applicable if she was fighting in Invicta under a Zuffa contract though, don't they? Zuffa were sending her to Invicta for at least three fights anyway, so any difference between her current deal and the one she knocked back from Zuffa are purely personal.

If she'd signed that eight fight deal and fought three times in Invicta, what then? How does she see out the rest of her Zuffa contract if she can't make 135lbs and there isn't a 140lbs division in the company?

None of it makes any sense at all. Her best bet was signing the three fight deal with Invicta, giving her the freedom to either renegotiate with them when the deal is up, or move elsewhere.

In my mind the UFC shouldn't even come into the equation. They don't have her division, so that's the end of the matter unless they're planning on changing things up, which I don't see.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on here or even on the MMA news sites but just looking at the upcoming UFC cards on MMAJunkie's schedule, they have Jacare Souza vs Constantinos Philippou listed for the Belfort/Rockhold FX card in May. Hasn't been confirmed yet but usually if it appears on Junkie's schedule it's happening. Great fight.

Ariel is tweeting about the media scrum right now. He's talked about Fitch saying if he wins some fights he'll be back. I won't sit and c+p it all just wanted to give you the heads up.

"On if he was fired over video game deal: "Are you f'n shitting me?!" "I don't have one ounce of hate for Fitch.""

• Paid Members

Potential bad news for Lamby. Bisping's got some problem with his neck/trapped nerves. Nowhere does it say he's out of UFC 159 but it raises some concerns.

Sounds bad;

"My right arm, and this is the first time I've mentioned this, I have a trapped nerve in my neck and need surgery on my neck. The way they've described it is that if you stand on a hosepipe, a lot of the water doesn't get through. The nerves along my right arm aren't getting through. You could squeeze my pec, really get your nails into it, and I wouldn't feel a thing. My right arm is so much weaker than my left, it's called atrophy, my muscle is wasting away because nerve signals aren't getting through. I need that taken care of but I've been fighting so much that I haven't had time for the treatment ... My hand, I can't even make a fist because I keep going into fight after fight after fight. Really what I need is six months off -- but I don't want to take six months off. I like what I do, I like to be kept busy."

If it's as bad as it sounds he really shouldn't have accepted the Belcher fight, this needs taking care of.

Full article is here..

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/21/4014126/...cle-atrophy-mma

Silva vs Weidman is a perfect summer blockbuster. The intrigue of Anderson not wanting to fight Weidman only adds to the intrigue. Do I believe Anderson sweats Weidman? No

But others are impressionable enough to do so, whatever the circumstances Weidman tooling of Munoz is scary. Munoz is a respected top 10 185er and at the time may have been considered top 5 or maybe top 3 if you felt a tad generous. Weidman squashed him. That has created a aura of sorts. His unbeaten tag only adds to this.

By fight week if they do a decent primetime, they can convince the paying public that this could be something special. A passing of the torch moment maybe and even the thought of Anderson losing maybe enough to get customers to part with their cash. Even hardcores can not be able to pin-point just how good Weidman is and how much of a challenge he presents to Anderson. This again adds to the intrigue.

I think Anderson will win personally, but I cannot be 100% Its a perfect little story if they promote it right.

• Paid Members

Haven't watched this yet but James Thompson was on Rogan's podcast, here's the full thing;

Several steps down from Chuck Liddell, Enson Inoue, Josh Barnett, Chael Sonnen etc in terms of status in the sport but could be interesting.

Also, in what's been long overdue, Dana White is finally on the Rogan podcast tonight. Should be a must listen. The video should be online over the next day or two I imagine.

Haven't watched this yet but James Thompson was on Rogan's podcast, here's the full thing;

Several steps down from Chuck Liddell, Enson Inoue, Josh Barnett, Chael Sonnen etc in terms of status in the sport but could be interesting.

Also, in what's been long overdue, Dana White is finally on the Rogan podcast tonight. Should be a must listen. The video should be online over the next day or two I imagine.

I've listened to most of that, not a bad podcast. Dana White is on the next one. Could be a laugh :laugh:

• Paid Members
Dana White at today's UFC press conference confirmed there are tons more cuts to come. He said that they need to cut about 100 fighters in all.

Message is clear to everyone. Do not lose.

Credit: f4wonline.com

That's a lot of cuts coming. Win and win well.

Or if you lose, be as entertaining as fuck.

Another option would be to throw your original gameplan for your fight this weekend out the window, get onto eBay and pick up this. It provides the gameplan needed to ensure a long and successful UFC career!

FsnWhSj.jpg

Dana White at today's UFC press conference confirmed there are tons more cuts to come. He said that they need to cut about 100 fighters in all.

Message is clear to everyone. Do not lose.

Credit: f4wonline.com

Or if you lose, be as entertaining as fuck.

Well said.

Got a legit chuckle with David's post.

• Paid Members

I hope not but all these cuts could result in a lot of guys fighting ultra safe now to avoid getting the chop. Obviously that can come back to bite you when you do lose but it might just give fighters more of a win at all costs mindset. They'll know as long as they get that W their job is safe, for now.

Watched Dana on Rogan's podcast last night, well worth tracking down when you can find it. Really interesting stuff, I thought it was one of Rogan's best podcasts yet.

Archived