The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

BT Sport has bought out the ESPN & ESPN America channels and will be taking over their content (plus new content), it'll change over on July 31st.

The press release mentions all of ESPN's content, except UFC. The UFC deal runs out around the same time, it'll be interesting to see if BT try to offer UFC a better deal or even a deal at all.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Wonder what the monthly subscription charge will be like. Similar to ESPN I guess. Dana didn't seem too hopeful about Sky Sports recently, he wants that deal but it sounds like Sky aren't that keen. So I'd assume BT looks likely, if they want UFC of course.

Aside from Sky Sports or BT, are there even any other really realistic options?

A decent download site and a USB stick to plug in a blu ray player or a PS3 will always come in handy for some, no matter what TV deal the UFC get. I want them to get a decent deal so the sport can be exposed to the masses, but there are other methods to watch.

Not that I use such methods ;)

• Paid Members

UFC have worked with Premier Sports before actually. When ESPN weren't picking up certain shows UFC put them on Premier free to air. They showed the first FOX show (Cain vs JDS 1) and the Hardy vs Lytle Fight Night. They used to show Cage Warriors live as well.

Maybe. But I don't know, Premier Sports seem so small time. I'm happy as long as we get it somewhere so I'm not fussed where it goes but no-one really knows Premier Sports do they?

• Paid Members

Fair enough. Admittedly I don't know much about them. Just seems like it would be no better a position to the one they're in with ESPN now, which they're unhappy with.

I'm happy wherever it is though, as long as we still get good coverage and the cost isn't ridiculous, I'm happy.

Premier Sports would be the absolute worst thing UFC could do.

First and most importantly, Premier Sports isn't available to Virgin Media subscribers - so they'd instantly be getting rid of a big chunk of their UK fans and I don't think people are going to go through the hassle of switching providers just solely so they can watch UFC, I know I wouldn't bother. Secondly, their production values and content space are truly awful - they have almost single handedly killed NHL coverage in the UK, just a terrible small-time channel.

I'm hoping what happens is pretty much the same as when ESPN replaced Setanta Sports and picked up UFC.

• Paid Members

Anyone know if they're doing Primetime for GSP-Diaz? I know Dana was on about Diaz missing interviews but I can't remember if he was talking about Primetime or a Countdown. And I can't be arsed to trawl through the scrums.

It seems unlikely given they've just done one for Rousey-Carmouche, but GSP usually always gets the Primetime treatment and this is a fight worthy of it, it's got a much deeper story to it than the Condit, Shields or Hardy fights did and Diaz is perfect for Primetime...when he actually shows up.

Archived