The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see this posted from last week Garry Cook on the UK TV situation

With the UFC broadcast deal with ESPN UK coming to an end this August, the British fanbase is very keen to find out which platform will be the new television home of the organization.

Fighters Only heard some weeks ago that SKY is the likely destination, despite denials via official channels.

At the weekend we spoke with Garry Cook, former Manchester City chief executive and now the UFC Vice-President of UK and European operations. He didn

• Paid Members

Four new UFC women signings: Sarah Kaufman, Julie Kedzie, Amanda Nunes and Germaine de Randamie.

Good signings, especially Kaufman and Kedzie. Add them to the current crop of Tate, Carmouche, McMann, Zingano, Davis and Rousey of course, that's shaping up to be a quality division.

• Paid Members

Actually, speaking of the women, I've been doing a bit of research on Cat Zingano because I knew fuck all about her. Miesha Tate might have her hands full.

For a start, she just looks like she's not to be fucked with;

crop_Cat_Zingano-300x224.jpg

She trains out of Black House, 7-0 with 6 stoppages. Some TKOs, some submissions. And she knocked out Takayo Hashi with a brutal slam.

Here's a brief highlight of the Hashi fight;

Her striking looks a bit too wild and her defence looks pretty cack, but she looks like a dangerous, exciting fighter. And with how awesome Tate's fights usually are, I'm now really looking forward to this one.

Looking at various Zingano fights today, I think Tate should beat her but it won't be a gimme. It's a dangerous fight.

tumblr_m9jlbpmXlb1qd5r6yo1_500.jpg

• Paid Members

Manhoef's fighting Brock Larson for One FC in April. His UFC signing will have to wait :( I've got a bad feeling about this. Larson's a good wrestler with a lot of submissions on his record. Basically he's Manhoef kryptonite.

If Melvin wins though, he's surely UFC bound.

Watch this;

Hitler reacts to Jon Fitch's UFC sacking. Fucking brilliant!

Take this with a pinch of salt, but this article claims if Bisping loses in his next fight he may be cut.

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2013/02/25/exclusi...ses-at-ufc-159/

I have heard Koscheck is safe after this weekend's loss. Now he is a character, but I do not think he is the international draw Bisping is. The article says Bisping is on big money, maybe too much for where most would rank him at 185lbs, but the money he could still draw in Europe, Amercia and Oz surely means he is of some value.

If he loses and they cut him, I will be very surprised.

I should also point out, MMABay's staff dislike Bisping.

• Paid Members
I should also point out, MMABay's staff dislike Bisping.

Also, MMABay have a bit of a sketchy past for reporting false information if memory serves right. But this could be true if he's on good money. It would be a shame though, like him or not he's a good character to have around and he's usually in good fights.

I saw some rumours before UFC 157 that Robbie Lawler is on good money from his Strikeforce deal, and that they matched him with Koscheck thinking he'd lose and they could either get rid of him or re-sign him for cheaper. Could be bollocks but I wouldn't put it past them. On paper Kos was one of the worst debut fights they could have given Lawler. He's not an opponent I'd have picked for Robbie to look good against put it that way. If that's what they were doing then I'm even more happy Lawler won.

Manhoef's fighting Brock Larson for One FC in April. His UFC signing will have to wait :( I've got a bad feeling about this. Larson's a good wrestler with a lot of submissions on his record. Basically he's Manhoef kryptonite.

If Melvin wins though, he's surely UFC bound.

Larson's a tough fight for him. He's one of those guys who seemed to struggle against the elite UFC level opposition, but would wreck anyone and everyone at the level below. He ran through everyone (and with ease) in the WEC until he met Carlos Condit.

Can't imagine Bisping being cut. I'm no fan of the guy, though for someone who's never really achieved anything and who's biggest name on his resume is Brian Stann, he does seem to be overpaid ($275,000 to show and a $150,000 win bonus).

Elsewhere, 47 year old Tank Abbott returns to the cage against Reuben Villareal on April 13th at a King of the Cage: Fighting Legends show.

• Paid Members

Exactly. I'm thinking Manhoef will get submitted and that sends the possible UFC signing right down the shitter. I know Melvin's not gonna make any real waves in the UFC, contention wise. He's too one dimensional and too old to make a run now. But he's got star potential if they match him right.

Throw him in with a Wandy, Lombard, Stann, Leben, Le, Franklin etc and you've got some great fights. Even at 170 there's the Lawler rematch, Hardy, Diaz, Alves etc.

I wish they'd just signed him while he was on a little streak. If he loses now that will probably be it as far as chances to get in the UFC for Melvin.

Archived