The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members
has there been an official reasoning for the cuts? i know the roster is massive but it aint like the ufc is struggling to get these guys fights with the amount of shows an' all.

This is what I was wondering? I assumed they'd built up a big roster to allow them to increase the amount of live shows they run, more 'Fuel' & 'Fox' card etc. Does the reduction is roster coincide with a plan to cut back on the number of shows? Will they replace a load of the cut fighters or simply expect the remaining roster to fight more often?

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
has there been an official reasoning for the cuts? i know the roster is massive but it aint like the ufc is struggling to get these guys fights with the amount of shows an' all.

On Dana's one on one with Ariel yeaterday he said that its because over the past couple of years they've added more and more shows to the schedule but they're sticking with the number of shows they have now for the time being. With fighters being contracted to fight 3 times a year (barring injury), they did the calculations and worked out they wouldn't be able to guarantee every fighter those 3 fights.

But that with a few fights they can earn they're way back.

• Paid Members

Dana explained the cuts in last night's (awesome, manic) scrum. They're contracted to give guys three fights a year, which is impossible given how many fighters they have combined with how many shows they run. It's just simple maths. The only way to ensure guys get three fights a year is to either add more shows (which would be absolutely mental, they already have way too many as it is) or cut some dead weight. I imagine the introduction of all the Strikeforce guys and the women hasn't helped the problem, either.

Edit: METAL beat me to it. To add something,

Dana going nuts explaining it last night. I love it.

• Paid Members

Yeah Dana said they've got something like 450 guys on the roster and it's about 100 too many. That's where the '100 fighters to be cut' stuff is coming from.

It's a combination of, over the last 2 years, the WEC guys coming in, the Strikeforce guys, the women, the flyweights and all the TUF guys (remember they've increased the amount of TUF seasons a year, we had 4 in 2012 and a fair few fighters usually get in).

I hope not but all these cuts could result in a lot of guys fighting ultra safe now to avoid getting the chop. Obviously that can come back to bite you when you do lose but it might just give fighters more of a win at all costs mindset. They'll know as long as they get that W their job is safe, for now.

Watched Dana on Rogan's podcast last night, well worth tracking down when you can find it. Really interesting stuff, I thought it was one of Rogan's best podcasts yet.

I listened to the first half hour and Dana hadn't turned up yet so I've got it on my phone to listen to later.

• Paid Members
On Dana's one on one with Ariel yeaterday

Don't suppose you could be a darling and post the link to this?

I've seen the scrum and Helwani fighter interviews but didn't catch Helwani's one on one with Dana.

Here you go wand.

Some interesting stuff in there. The Diaz brothers sound like they're really pushing their luck.

On Dana's one on one with Ariel yeaterday

Don't suppose you could be a darling and post the link to this?

I've seen the scrum and Helwani fighter interviews but didn't catch Helwani's one on one with Dana.

Here you go wand.

Some interesting stuff in there. The Diaz brothers sound like they're really pushing their luck.

Cheers for this. Hope Dana White finally has enough and gets rid. Both annoy me, especially Nick. Nick lost his first UFC Welterweight Championship shot against Georges St-Pierre by not fulfilling his media duties and lost to Carlos Condit moaning about the result. Diaz gets an immediate rematch which doesn't happen as Nick pissed for pot in his post fight drugs test. Diaz gets a second chance to fight GSP for the UFC Welterweight Championship when it should be Johny Hendricks.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the link Supremo.

Dana was on about the Diaz brothers on Rogan's podcast last night and said similar, and flat out called the Diaz's lawyer a "fucking liar" or words to that effect. I knew Nick being so co-operative at that press conference recently was too good to be true.

• Paid Members

Paul Daley's fight in Cage Contenders is live on Premier Sports tomorrow night in the UK, i haven't got the channel and there's no word if it'll be a freeview type job but i thought i'd give you a heads up.

• Paid Members

Cheers Ebb. I didn't even know Daley was fighting. Whats happening with him and Bellator? I know he had that alleged bar fight which he denied but whats the deal? Is he still with Bellator?

Side note - Has anyone else noticed lately in interviews Dana keeps referring to Bjorn Rebney as 'Bjork'? He's not even taking the piss, he seems to genuinely think his name is Bjork Rebney :)

Listening to Dana during that scrum addressing the Jon Fitch situation was interesting. Every reason he gave for dropping Fitch could easily apply to the likes of Dan Hardy & Leonard Garcia many times over. He basically denied that Fitch was released because of his so-called "boring" style.

Listening to him try to justify dropping a dude who was ranked top ten was baffling, and once again we had the comparison with the NFL, MLB and other legit "sports".

He was basically stuttering and losing the place when the reporters had the audacity to call him on what he was saying, bringing up Garcia and Hardy etc. He kept using the phrase "this is the sports business". No it's fucking not, Dana, it's the "sports entertainment business", as many on here have said.

This is the issue I have with him. He'll never admit that, he'll consistently talk about the UFC being a sport, and keep talking about the NFL & MLB.

• Paid Members

the thing you forget to mention though Dave is that Dana said Fitch is on the way down and that he's expensive, that was the was the key to this whole thing, the UFC clearly need to trim the wage bill and Fitch fits the criteira.

The style most definitely had something to do with it, but if that was everything the UFC could have got shot of him after the Hendricks KO, but with Fitch moving down the rankings (which he is), the little fan-fair he has and the amount the UFC pay him per fight, it all adds up.

Dana really lost his shit during the scrum, but as he said, it aint the end of the world, if Fitch goes out and wins a few fights (which costs the UFC nothing) they'll bring him back.

Archived