The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

I'm just as surprised they've released Gomez, I know he was 0-2 but they're hardly blessed with Flyweights as it is and he was pretty highly touted before joining the UFC.

As far as Fitch goes, I made no secret I've never been a fan of him and his style - but even I can admit he had improved lately. No massive loss for me, I can only smile when thinking how butt-hurt Javier Mendez must be right now.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

when first looking at that list it's pretty shocking because so many are just UFC mainstays you almost think are always gonna be with the UFC, but on closer inspection i think outside of the Fitch & Volkmann releases they are all fairly justified.

Bad knock on UK MMA, 3 of our 'top' boys so to speak are gone, i think they will all be a case of getting out, getting a few wins and probably being brought back (except perhaps Mills who is probably on White's blacklist).

As for Santiago, Hieron, Matyushenko, Russow that's probably the last of them we see of them in the UFC.

Sucks for the guys cut, they'll be hit big time in the pocket but with the amount of guys jocking for places you've simply gotta keep winning and entertaining at the top level, i also see it as a way of the UFC testing these guys characters, you always here 'go away win a couple and we'll bring you back'. Still it's surprising when it happens.

Fitch & Volkmann are harsh, Volkmann i expected mainly due to his mouth getting him in to trouble, the UFC didn't cut him after his loss to Paul Sass so i wonder if it does have anything to do with the 'speech' he had planned for after the Bobby Green fight.

The Fitch cut is just harsh anyway you look at it. The fact that Fitch has recently spoke of money problems makes you feel even more for him, he shouldn't have a problem getting another good gig though.

• Paid Members
The fact that Fitch has recently spoke of money problems makes you feel even more for him

It later came out that the reason Fitch was having money problems was because he had two mortgages, having bought both a condo and a massive house in an expensive part of California. Easily making six figures and crying poverty because you can't keep up the payments on your lavish properties? That's not really somebody that evokes much sympathy from me.

Yeah fighters styles are a factor, Dan Hardy is probably the best example of a fighter losing four straight and avoiding getting cut. Leonard Garcia is another.

Pretty much standup fighters. White comes from a boxing background, and it tells in the type of fighter he favours.

No, it tells the kind of fighter the casual fan favours. Its just good business sense to keep people who will gain fans rather than lose them.

But by all means don't let me disrupt you from your tired anti-Dana campaign.

Yeah, but that's because the casual fans are fucking morons. Have you ever seen the footage of them at the start of UFC events? They're usually overweight Americans, crammed into the smallest Tap Out shirt they could pull over their heads.

I would love to say that this kind of thing really pisses me off and shocks me, but it doesn't anymore. It's how things go in "ultimate cage fighting" I guess.

I think this article from Nick Caron of the Bleacher Report kinda sums it up for me. As I said, no one is really overly surprised, but the UFC really do contradict themselves a lot;

Perennial UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch was cut from the UFC this afternoon, creating a whirlwind of emotions that has the Internet buzzing.

While some are okay with the decision to release Fitch, most fans and experts seem to agree that it was a shocking move that may have been done out of spite.

But even worse than that, by releasing Fitch the UFC has created a credibility issue for itself.

A few weeks back, the UFC started a campaign to further solidify the rankings of the fighters on their roster. Media members from numerous trusted sources, including Bleacher Report MMA's own Jonathan Snowden, Jeremy Botter and Damon Martin, were asked to rank the top 10 fighters in each weight class.

The results were then calculated to create the official UFC Fighter Rankings list.

Although no specifics were given in regards to how this list would be used, the UFC was essentially officially announcing that these were the best fighters in each weight class. As such, we all assumed there would be some sort of value given to them.

Even after two losses in his previous three fights, Jon Fitch ranked No. 9 in the official UFC welterweight rankings as of Feb. 18.

By releasing Fitch, the UFC has essentially stated that these rankings

• Paid Members

It'll come as no surprise that I'm not pleased with Fitch being released but this just drives the point home that the UFC isn't about being the best fighter. It's entertainment first & sporting ability 2nd. Stand & bang and sell those T-Shirts boys. C'est la vie.

• Paid Members
It'll come as no surprise that I'm not pleased with Fitch being released but this just drives the point home that the UFC isn't about being the best fighter. It's entertainment first & sporting ability 2nd. Stand & bang and sell those T-Shirts boys. C'est la vie.

That's how it is now, that's how it's always been and that's how it'll always be.

• Paid Members
A few weeks back, the UFC started a campaign to further solidify the rankings of the fighters on their roster. Media members from numerous trusted sources, including Bleacher Report MMA's own Jonathan Snowden, Jeremy Botter and Damon Martin, were asked to rank the top 10 fighters in each weight class.

The results were then calculated to create the official UFC Fighter Rankings list.

Although no specifics were given in regards to how this list would be used, the UFC was essentially officially announcing that these were the best fighters in each weight class. As such, we all assumed there would be some sort of value given to them.

Specifics were given in regards to how the rankings would be used. In scrums and interviews after the announcement Dana categorically stated that they existed to help new fans gain a general grasp of things and give current fans something to discuss and debate. He also made it crystal clear that the rankings wouldn't make any difference to how they ran their business, promoted or booked fights. There was absolutely no confusion or ambiguity, so if the writer of this article was left, "assuming," things then he's only got himself to blame for not following the news close enough. If it's your job to write articles about MMA, I'd say it's pretty important to keep abreast of this type of stuff, surely?

Releasing Jon Fitch proves that the promotion cares more about "entertainment" than it does determining the best fighter...But if it's all about making a dollar and entertaining the fans, perhaps it's time to that we all admit that the UFC is starting to creep further away from proving who is the best and more toward the WWE's brand of "sports entertainment."

Yes. Perhaps it is time to admit that. Because it's been the case for almost a fucking decade. Jon Fitch getting released hasn't, "proven," anything that people haven't known for years and years. And the, "time to admit," that the UFC were creeping towards sports entertainment was some time in 2005 or 2006, when they exploded in popularity for that very reason. How reporters (who's job it is to follow and study the sport) can still complain or lament about the UFC promoting based on entertainment rather than pure sport in 2013 is fucking astonishing. It's what they've always done. People who understood this kept suggesting that Jon Fitch's style would come back to haunt him when he eventually lost a fight or two. Twats like the writer of this article argued otherwise, thinking Fitch was bulletproof, and now look what happened. Exactly as predicted.

Archived