Chris Benoit - 5 years on.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm a big fan of Kevin Sullivan, and I was just disgusted when a couple of people on another forum wished that the blame could get shifted off to the Taskmaster instead, so they could watch Benoit matches in the future. Just disgusting, wanting to offload that onto an innocent man.

• Paid Members

There's no doubt in my mind that the reactions went a certain way because Benoit was a special case. There's all sorts of stuff to factor in - that he was a big name, that he wasn't a typical big name, that he closely imitated Dynamite Kid, that some people found his style boring, that some people found his style infinitely superior... Benoit was a guy singled out for good and bad on here an awful lot. He had a kind of attention on him that nobody else got, and that made the reactions all the more interesting.

• Paid Members

That period everyone longs for for (the days of the Smackdown six and Paul Heyman booking etc) has a load of casualties hasn't it? Matt Hardy, Edge, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio are all either physical wrecks are died living with incredible pain on a daily basis. You can't fake gravity. Those German suplexes they were doing every night couldn't have been good for your body. Why is it everytime Heyman gets the book, everyone becomes pill addicts to mask the pain of the style of wrestling he promotes?

I'm not really interested in what any wrestler does, Benoit included. I just feel so detatched from the people behind the characters when it comes to the US guys. I understand that Benoit's crimes were basically because of the style he wrestled but it still doesn't really move me in any way. I still watch his matches and get the same appreciation for them as I would for anyone else.

• Paid Members
Wow. Wasn't expecting to wake up to this development. I hope it's not true. Crazy. Maybe his wife and son were really ill, and he killed them to take away the pain? Although he would've taken them to hospital, surely.

• Paid Members
I've often wondered if people would be far more up in arms if it was, say, Prime Time Brian Lee or Shawn Stasiak or someone that did it.

At the time you mean? Because since it became clear, I've never seen anyone refer to Benoit as anything other than a scumbag.

I didn't quite believe it at the time. It wasn't because he was a great wrestler, it was because there are hours and hours of interviews out there with everyone saying what a fantastic guy he was. I've never heard anything about Stasiak or Brian Lee so I wouldn't be surprised by anything they did, good or bad.

The hero worship aspect of it doesn't apply just in this case. Look at the millions of nutjobs who think Michael Jackson was an innocent child.

Wow. Wasn't expecting to wake up to this development. I hope it's not true. Crazy. Maybe his wife and son were really ill, and he killed them to take away the pain? Although he would've taken them to hospital, surely.

I think the comments being quoted by people first hearing the news are totally understandable. Nobody wants to believe anybody is capable of doing that to their wife and son especially someone you would consider yourself a fan of.

That's brilliant. Near enough everyone had their mong hat on in that thread though, even the mighty Loki. I think Seven might have been the only one that didn't, but it's been a while since I read it that time so there could've been a couple of others.

That's brilliant. Near enough everyone had their mong hat on in that thread though, even the mighty Loki. I think Seven might have been the only one that didn't, but it's been a while since I read it that time so there could've been a couple of others.

Yeah, I didn't want to believe it at first, and wanted to wait until some sort of official confirmation before branding him a murderer. That only took about 12 hours though.

• Paid Members

You know, this thread has made me realise I don't think I've actually watched a single Benoit match at all since his death. That's not a conscious decision or a particular stance I've taken, it's just happened that way. I can't really guess how I will feel when I do eventually see one.

Archived