Chris Benoit - 5 years on.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this forum so much.

On topic, Benoit is probably the greatest pro wrestler I have ever seen, in my opinion. The guy just never had a bad match. What he did is reprehensible and could never be justified though. I can still watch his matches, just now I don't root for Benoit. Wrestlemania XX was rather hard to watch for me though, I'll admit, but overall I can still watch his matches. It really makes me sad that so many great matches will never be included on DVD compilations because they involve Benoit, although in the grand scheme of things that's hardly the worst thing attached to the whole sorry mess.

• Paid Members

I still watch his matches, but I wince at everything he does. I've noticed that he always used to take a load of chairshots to the upper-neck\back of the head. Always looked well nasty.

I also watched that Chris Benoit WWE released documentry they put out about him a few years ago. Rather odd watching that and knowing what happened. Everybody was all happy...

• Paid Members
I can still watch his matches, just now I don't root for Benoit.

:laugh:

I haven't watched a Benoit match since. He was never a big favourite of mine in the first place and I watch my wrestling to be entertained. I can't enjoy watching a man bouncing around a ring in spandex pants, knowing that he murdered his own little boy.

Pfft, Benoit was never tried and convicted in a court of law so he's therefore deemed innocent by the rules of your society.

Nah, the police done a great job and that case was solved.

;)

I would FF Benoit's stuff for a few years but the other day I watched a Benoit match just fine.

Pfft, Benoit was never tried and convicted in a court of law so he's therefore deemed innocent by the rules of your society.

You really are as thick as pigshit.

I still think Benoit was the best in-ring, or technical or whatever, wrestler I ever saw. He didn't have the charisma and crowd control of a Hogan or a Cena, but he was able to get the job done just with his physical actions in the ring.

It was all the little things - shaking out his wrist after punching, his excellent selling that made his opponents look like real fighters. He was one of those rare guys that allowed you to properly suspend your disbelief even in the post-kayfabe days.

Put him in with Angle or Eddie or HHH, or any top guy and you'd get a command performance.

I don't watch his matches, but that's only because I don't really go back and watch any wrestling, I don't have the time. On the rare occasion I've seen some, it's been very hard as in retrospect he used moves, and took bumps that almost visibly contribute to his mental decline. After his death I started to warm a lot more to guys like Hogan, who did so much with a lot less trauma.

Glad that the crossface is finally rehabilitated, it's a class finisher.

Around 2009 I got heavily back into wrestling and went on a tagged classics spree on Silvervision and I just couldn't concentrate on a Benoit match. Nowadays I can watch a match of his easily enough, probably due to the shock factor dying down. However, I have to agree with the sentiments of wincing at chairshots etc, I have the same thing with Foley matches when you consider the difficulty he has walking in the present day, Foley's state of walking is a little different to a killing spree mind.

The first Benoit match i watched after what happened was the Summerslam 2003 fatal 4-way with Eddie, Rhyno and Tajiri. it was hugely disoncerting when Michael Cole and Tazz started saying things along the lines of Benoit having a split personality, in the ring he was this vicious machine and outside was very quiet and respectful. That match is one of the best fatal 4-ways I've seen, but I can't watch it without feeling very uncomfortable.

I always rated him and my feelings of his work now havent changed. I am not put off one bit and like to think his last weekend was one where he was legitimately insane due to brain damage. Whether that was the case or not I dont know, but I like to think that.

My mates cant watch anything he does and when we discussed our polar opposite views they came to the conclusion it was because they are fathers and I am not. For those who feel one way or the other, do you have kids? I'm interested to know if their theory is correct.

• Paid Members
For those who feel one way or the other, do you have kids? I'm interested to know if their theory is correct.

I'm a parent, but I can still watch a match. What makes me wince these days though, is people like Regal telling stories of how they used to have "headbutt competitions", where the first to bleed hardway was the loser.

Rather than anger or disgust, I often feel sadness that someone with such talent, abilty and consideration for those in the business ended up on a route that led to the death of his and his family.

• Paid Members

WWE's deletion of Benoit's career and history seems to have done the trick as I forget about him more than I should. I used to be such a fan as he was an underdog of sorts. I still find it hard to believe what happened.

Archived