RQW returns, asks for money

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

FWIW, I'd like to add my voice to those vouchsafing Len's character - I did a bit of work for him a while back, and not only did he pay me generously and on time, he also very kindly helped me record my voice acting reel at a very significant discount. He's nowhere near a liar, a cheat, or shady.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
1) It always baffles me that people on this forum who profess to being wrestling fans seem intent on destroying the very thing they love.

How are they destroying it? By refusing to give away money to someone to make a project for themselves? Personally I like to pay for a finished product like a booked show which is definitely on, rather than a bit of a pipedream thing where someone is charging ONE THOUSAND POUNDS for this:

Associate Producer Credit for all 26 episodes of season 1, Access to the complete archive of RQW programming, "RQW - The Music" CD/Download

What a bargain.

I noticed however the donations are still at $0, so why not donate a few quid rather than melodramatically destroying wrestling along with the rest of us.

On a serious note though, how is this forum "destroying the very thing they love"? That's a super duper melodramatic statement. For example, with this project, how can one kill that which does not exist?

• Paid Members
3) I can't remember who said it on here, but someone called Ricky Knight "a backwards fucker". I really, really can't imagine that person having the balls to walk up to Ricky and say that to his face.

Because you don't know me. I don't know him. He probably wouldn't call a bunch of wrestling fans "sad bastards" to their face either, since he's a wrestling promoter, and shouldn't really be doing that.

I do love that Sgt Ducky is slagging someone else off for hiding behind a computer screen, though. The dickheads on this forum have only replaced Alex Shane, Dean Ayass and the other lot who used to hide behind fake names and slag off promoters. Jon Farrer was a nice bloke by all accounts as well. Difference is, the people currently posting on here dont have an agenda, don't know the people involved and don't actually give a flying fuck either way.

• Moderators
I do love that Sgt Ducky is slagging someone else off for hiding behind a computer screen, though. The dickheads on this forum have only replaced Alex Shane, Dean Ayass and the other lot who used to hide behind fake names and slag off promoters. Jon Farrer was a nice bloke by all accounts as well.

Awesome.

• Paid Members
I have been involved in the British wrestling business since 1993 and in that time, I have encountered liars, conmen, opportunists, alcoholics, drug addicts and paedophiles.

I refer you to previous requests for Venn diagrams.

Oh I can't just read this without adding my two penneth worth anymore.

1) It always baffles me that people on this forum who profess to being wrestling fans seem intent on destroying the very thing they love.

2) It's fine to me if people want to criticise Len's business ventures, they're entitled to their opinion, but people on here have been ripping into him on a personal level. There's a difference between RQW, the business, and Len Davies, the person, and people have crossed that line on this thread, which I feel is bang out of order.

3) I can't remember who said it on here, but someone called Ricky Knight "a backwards fucker". I really, really can't imagine that person having the balls to walk up to Ricky and say that to his face.

When I was booking RQW, there were a few wrestlers (I emphasise, just a few) who were taking Len for a ride by overcharging him for wages or expenses. Ricky sat down with me and showed me what he paid some of those people when they worked for WAW, or if they didn't work for WAW, what he paid wrestlers who I would classify as at a similar level to those wrestlers. I was then able to go to these people and offer them a new wage. Every single one of them agreed to the new lower wage and Len could run his shows on a more realistic budget. Ricky didn't make any more or less money from doing this, he was doing this for Len's sake and for the good of the British business as a whole. Or to put it another way, the exact opposite of the people I referred to in point 1.

Dean.

1. That's the UKFF. I'm pretty sure that's just what happens here.

2. Surely Len Davies, the person, posted that post earlier in the thread? Or was that RQW, the business? Len is always putting his face on videos, for RQW, FWA, BWC or whatever. Whilst I don't personally agree with people insulting him on a personal level, I think it's considered fair game, like calling King Mabel/Viscera fat, or Michelle McCool skinny.

3. Why not? Would Ricky react aggressively? Does that run in the family? Surely he can take a criticism, regardless as to why, without picking a fight? Whilst lurking around, I see a lot of that 'You wouldn't say that to Ricky Knight's face'. Is Ricky *that* hot-headed? That's not an insult towards Ricky, I'm just genuinely curious.

If wrestlers were taking Len for a ride, and he didn't know it, why was he doing business? Sounds like these guys just demanded silly money, and got it. Were there no fees agreed beforehand, taking into consideration the distance they need to travel etc? To me, even with my limited business knowledge, that sounds pretty silly. It's great that you and Ricky stepped in to stop these guys taking the piss, but if Len was throwing money around, people were always going to take it.

Here's what I love about this forum.

Bloke tries to get funding together, completely ignores this forum.

This forum finds about it, posts it, and everyone laughs at how ridiculous it is and how no-one here would ever give it money cos it's ridiculous.

Bloke see's it, see's all the abuse, gives some abuse back.

Forum up in arms "We're your potential audience, we're the people who might have invested, and you dare to talk back when we're slagging you off?"

No you fucking weren't, he's not asked for shit from here, not even suggested it, and you still jumped all over yourselves to say you'd not chip in.

Funnys, very funnys.

Funny to see knight's views on the forum too, even funnier to see you're surprised that an old school promotor of decades thinks internet fans are a bunch of sad marks who he laughs at.

(obviously I include myself in the above, I just don't care, and I'm not surprised).

One thing I would throw into this too - I dont see that wrestlers getting paid more on his shows as them taking the piss in any way at all.

In any business, the value of your time/skills is whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and if you can find someone that will pay more for it an agreed rate, and you work for them at that rate - its not taking the piss. As a worker I would just feel that my skills are better appreciated by said employer as they are willing to pay higher than the going rate. I might even do a better job for them because of that, and choose them to work for if any clashes occur.

In all honesty it doesnt reflect badly on the wrestlers at all for taking the money (Particularly in a business where I understand people are generally underpaid, if at all, and are risking injury) It reflects worse on the promoter in this case for not knowing the going rate, and not really bothering to find out. Someone else had to do it for him.

With the greatest of respect, thats not a great display of business acumen.

That is, unless he knew the going rate and was willingly paying over the odds for the reasons above, and as a display of generosity (Possible as it has already been established hes a generous guy) - again, the wrestlers taking the money in this instance would not be them taking him for a ride.

This isnt just for wrestlers either, for any employees/contractors/suppliers that were used, be it advertising, belts, merchandise, whatever - if a rate was agreed, paid and collected - whats the problem? Only if rates were agreed and at collection point they demanded more would it be taking the piss. In which instances you would tell them where to go and not use them again, ending that problem and not setting a precedent for others to follow.

This isnt wrestling business - just business. Standard stuff, and I dont really see where the problems arise, or where anyone can be given a chance to con you - or am I missing something? Quite possible as I dont run a wrestling promotion (Although I do run a business)

• Paid Members

I have a passion for wrestling like little else in life, I'm a sad, speccy fucker who loves his wrestling.

I don't like idealistic pipe dreams and people talking the talk and not walking the walk.

There's a difference. As I've said before I get the impression Len is a stand up, sound chap. It doesn't mean I don't think his idea is the shits. There's a difference between the man and the business he does surely.

I also don't like sanctimonious people who think they are something because they have been involved in the bumblefuck world of britwrest~ or those who forget that they are involved because they are a fan and put up with the shit because of that fact.

There were a couple of times when a show had taken less than expected and Len asked if he could pay me at a later date as opposed to on the night itself. I agreed, and Len ALWAYS paid me at the agreed later date.

I don't want to sound like a sanctimonious weirdo here, but since I am the best promoter in the universe, I just want to comment on this.

Two things. One, if you haven't got the funds in place, should you really be running a show? And two, CHEQUES! Now I understand that cheques are a naughty word in British wrestling, but one of their advantages is, that if you don't have the required cash on the evening, writing somebody a cheque gives you a couple of days to make sure the funds are in the account so that people can get paid. I think every promoter should pay by cheque. Only one wrestler has ever refused a cheque off me, and needless to say, he's not worked for me since.

It always baffles me that people on this forum who profess to being wrestling fans seem intent on destroying the very thing they love.

The people on here aren't the ones "intent on destroying the thing they love" quite the opposite they ain't being taken for mugs and they sure as hell aren't the reason britsh wrestling is completely fucked.

This is the thing thats always fucked me off about some in british wrestling everytime another scam rears its head and people on here do a fucking good job of outing those responsible.. Some of you "in da biz" go on yer facebooks and twitter and blamde the death of the scene on this place... When the truth of the matter is theres people on here giving more of a shit about it than some of you and we have to keep reading about wrestlers branding this place a "dangerous place to work" or reading this or that overseas indy guy or wwe legend etc that hasnt been paid by some of you that are running the shows.

" destroying the thing they profess to love" have a word with yourself.

Archived