Monday Night Raw (30/4/12)

JLM

• Paid Members

I loved the opening segment with Brock and I'll admit I got a bit too excited when Triple H got in a few punches, slow build for this one.

Lesnar's certainly keeping me interested.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I skipped through most of Raw as I couldn't be fucked to watch the beat the clock matches.

Lesnar looked good in the angle with Triple H. I like how Triple H was trying to keep eye contact with Brock as much as he could whilst telling Johnny to shut up. It was like Brock was a wild animal that he was trying to keep calm.

I was thinking before Raw that I can't imagine Triple H taking Brock's offence as I imagine Triple H's philosophy is more a case of wrestling being an art and it should look real without hurting. Saying that, there's clearly money to be made. I don't see Austin coming back for a match with Lesnar whatsoever. My concern is that wrestlers won't be able to make Lesnar look as dominant. Someone on here said that if Lesnar faces the midcard guys, he'd have to rip their head offs if Cena took such a pasting and I agree. Part of the impact with Cena is that he wins so often, so it was shocking to see him get beat up so much. I don't see the same impact in Punk or Ziggler or whoever getting beat up. And I'd hate to see what would look like lame offence from them.

Yes, they need to build new stars sharpish. I just wonder whether they should stick Brock with the over guys whilst making the undercard as strong and interesting as possible. A bit like WCW, where it was 'come for the stars, stay for the wrestling'.

I think WWE could do worse than beefing their midcard up with some TNA guys - Bobby Roode for one. Guys brought up through FCW don't seem to have that presence to me. Dean Ambrose could be something special though.

So WWE shouldn't look at the second biggest fed in North America for wrestlers then?

ECW were doing bingo halls when WCW signed Raven...and Public Enemy...and Sabu...and Eddie Guerrero...I'll stop there. Were ECW a MASSIVE THREAT to WCW?

Great sell job from hhh . Why hasn't he grabbed cena and shook this concept into him??? Bar cena, only believable feuds for lesnar are hhh, big show and taker for me. Punk may be wwe champ but he hasn't shown intensity for his size that puts him as a threat to lesnar in this guise.

Just caught the Extreme Rules main event and the Lesnar/HHH segment on youtube - wrestling's getting good again, isn't it? There's been some pretty excellent examples of booking recently, and there's enough momentum there at the minute to maintain the interest of the casual fans like myself who came back for the Rock's return.

As regards the suggestion of poaching people like Bobby Roode to 'beef up the midcard'. As a massive Roode mark, I'd hate to see him fannying about with people like Kofi Kingston and Cody Rhodes in the midcard. Perception is everything in wrestling, and I honestly think the idea of using a midcard run to 'build up' a new star these days is counterproductive, as once they start stinking of that midcard aura, it's hard to get fans to see them as anything else. Bobby Roode is good enough and experienced enough to go straight into the main event, so if they're ever going to sign him, they should wait until they have an opening for such a spot - even if it's just for a few months, they'll have more chance of making money off him by treating him as a star from the off than making him go through the motions 'paying his dues' on Smackdown.

I see your point on that, Pitcos, but it's funny, because where on earth does he seriously think he could go after WWE? After all the shit with the IWGP belt nowhere in Japan will touch him.

There are no grudges in wrestling. He fucked WWE over far more than he did New Japan. If New Japan could afford to pay him, they'd have him back in a heartbeat. New Japan cant afford to bring over John Morrison at the minute, though.

And from what I could make out at the time New Japan was fucking Brock about because they didn't want to pay his price any more (I think the story was that they dragged out getting his work permit/visa or whatever it's called sorted on purpose so he couldn't make a show on time) so he kept the belt as a fuck you to New Japan.

• Paid Members

Triple H vs Lesnar would have been my exact choice for Lesnar's next match if it was up to me. Well played, WWE. Definitely a worthy Summerslam main event. H has had great matches nearly every time he's stepped in the ring in the last few years, if he's up against the same Lesnar that was at Extreme Rules we could be in for a classic. Can't wait for Summerslam.

Thank fucking God the Punk/Jericho feud is over!

Decent show. The opening segment was good and I'm looking forward to a Lesnar vs HHH match. It was a good way to get Lesnar off screen for a bit too. I always like the Beat The Clock challenge because I like it when shows have their own story. The Punk/Bryan and Cena/Lauranitis matches for Over The Limit are a bit out of left field though.

Just caught the Extreme Rules main event and the Lesnar/HHH segment on youtube - wrestling's getting good again, isn't it? There's been some pretty excellent examples of booking recently, and there's enough momentum there at the minute to maintain the interest of the casual fans like myself who came back for the Rock's return.

As regards the suggestion of poaching people like Bobby Roode to 'beef up the midcard'. As a massive Roode mark, I'd hate to see him fannying about with people like Kofi Kingston and Cody Rhodes in the midcard. Perception is everything in wrestling, and I honestly think the idea of using a midcard run to 'build up' a new star these days is counterproductive, as once they start stinking of that midcard aura, it's hard to get fans to see them as anything else. Bobby Roode is good enough and experienced enough to go straight into the main event, so if they're ever going to sign him, they should wait until they have an opening for such a spot - even if it's just for a few months, they'll have more chance of making money off him by treating him as a star from the off than making him go through the motions 'paying his dues' on Smackdown.

I get your point. Roode reminds me of Triple H in that he has a really solid execution and works a good main event style (though I had gripes with the finish for Lockdown). But the reason the midcard gives wrestlers that 'midcard stench' is because it's not very good at the moment and the belts aren't up to much. Obviously WWE had a very strong roster in 2000, but you had Jericho, Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Rikishi, Venis, D'Lo, Godfather, Edge, Hardyz etc. on the undercard. Even the guys that weren't great wrestlers were over mad for their characters. Godfather got big reactions but he wasn't a great wrestler. The midcard is just bland at the moment.

Austin Aries would be worth a go in the midcard. Have Bobby Roode win a midcard belt and have him push the importance of the belt. Keep the belt on him for a long time. That could have been done with Del Rio too, but now he has the aura of failed WWE champion and the midcard belt would be a relegation. But intially, he had the class and look to carry a midcard belt and make it seem important.

I've been fond of Alex Shelley in the past too, though I'm not sure how he is now. I don't know if his injuries are too big a concern. Unify the two midcard belts so there's a less diluted focus. The brand split is pretty much non-existant and the idea seemed to be that the IC belt was SmackDown's and the US belt was Raw's before anyway. Unify the top belts too. New fans have said 'but I thought he was the champ?' to me before, confused at the WWE and World titles. More focus, less dilution, a tighter show.

• Paid Members

I'm not doubting HHH V Brock wouldn't be a great watch but if WWE intention is to get people over via Brock surely HHH is the last man needing it. I can see why Cena should win but HHH really doesn't need it. Saying that it is wrestling so Lesnar could easily pick up the win by the time the match rolls about.

Not a fan of the beat the clock matches there fucking shit.

Hope something comes along for Primo and Epico love watching them in-ring.

Archived