Monday Night Raw (30/4/12)

JLM

I think HHH is a great person to have Lesnar put over.

Like others have said, Lesnar would be wasted on guys like Punk/Sheamus etc.

As long as he's here they have to get the balance right between putting people over, and using him sensibly to make some money. He needs to be in there with guys with the same aura as him, or moreso. I think, also, with Lesnar (giving his background in 'legitimate' sports) it's less about putting the individual over (be it Cena/HHH or whoever) its more about putting the company, and the product, as a whole over. Showing that 'hey, these are our guys, and look how they hang in there with Lesnar.' It's why all his matches and segments will be as rugged as ER and last night, WWE aren't going to pretend that its not scripted or fake; they just want everyone to see that their guys can stick it out with a freak like Lesnar.

That's why anyone who's face is synonymous with WWE should get some sort of rub from Lesnar. For me, that includes Triple H/John Cena/Undertaker and Orton. You could probably get away with Rock too. Though given the limited time frame you'd have to choose.

But, yeah, the company will benefit by having their top guys looking like killers next to Lesnar.

I know in the past people have talked about WWE considering their product perception, and business, to be cyclical. Going from a more child-friendly based product, to something a bit more risquee to something far more 'adult' as in the final years of the attitude era. The last few weeks (actually, since last years MiTB really) i've been wondering whether they are starting to take the product up another notch.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Is A-Trains bitch a wrestler too then?

Sheamus got hardly nothing this week which ain't too great.

Who are WWE putting more stock into Sheamus or Bryan?

The Funkasorus gimmick is doing my head in now. Entrance totally drains me. Just painful.

Overall, pretty good show. The opening segment was very good. I'm not too fussed about Lesnar continuing to go after Cena as he has/had all he wanted (the private jet, Raw starring Brock Lesnar and of course to bloody up Cena) but attacking HHH for taking it away from him was logical and he looks mental.

The Beat the Clock challenge was okay. I'm glad Daniel Bryan won because I'm more of a bitch for Danny than AJ. Most of the matches were alright but as they were so short they didn't have any real impact.

The closing segment was great as Cena dropped all the cutesy crap. His promo had more bite and it was great. I thought Laurinitus looked good stomping away. But I can't see Lord Tensai without thinking he looks like a genetically mutated plush cushion. Oh and in FSM apparently his bitch is a wrestler who was trained by TAKA Michinoku. And that's good enough for me. Indeed :)

• Paid Members

The beginning and end of Raw was great, everything in-between was pretty unremarkable except for a lovely little match between Swagger and Orton, which was a very nice surprise.

For me the most interesting thing about the end segment was how sprightly and fit Johnny Ace looked. I've been waiting for months for him to get physically involved in stuff to see if he could still go and it looks as though he can! Really wanted to see an Ace Crusher on Cena, though. No offence, John, you know I love you, but just for old time's sake.

Punk v Bryan have had some great matches on TV but I hope they're not given too long on PPV because I don't want a 25 minute ROH match. I hope Jericho fucks off now, what a total bastard disaster he's been. Probably not all his fault, but mostly.

Pretty bored of Brodus now, piss off.

I hope they're not thinking of a Khali v Kane feud. Ugh.

Can't remember anything else.

• Paid Members
Punk v Bryan have had some great matches on TV but I hope they're not given too long on PPV because I don't want a 25 minute ROH match. I hope Jericho fucks off now, what a total bastard disaster he's been. Probably not all his fault, but mostly.

Behave, this isn't 2004. Both men know what WWE expect of them and they're not wrestling in front of 50 people.

I agree the Jericho thing has been one disaster after another. That rubbish swerve on his re-re-debut, after some lovely videos that didn't connect with him - other than a line he used for two weeks, sums it all up. I remember thinking Jericho may have turned the corner when he started wearing a suit and talking in a way Vince insisted others copy, but that appears to have been a bit of a fluke on his part.

Can understand Brock being absolutely livid with what went down on Sunday night. Absolutely no need for Cena to cut that promo and now be booked into a match with Johnny. Imagine that will be him off TV until about SummerSlam and this meeting with Triple H.

Delighted Daniel Bryan is amongst the WWE Title scene and a fued with CM Punk could be absolutely brilliant.

3.3 for Raw, though apparently there were more eyes per household which is obviously a good sign. Maybe people who grouped together for the PPV grouped together for the Raw like I was going to do. How do they work out that more people are in a household?

• Moderators
So WWE shouldn't look at the second biggest fed in North America for wrestlers then?

ECW were doing bingo halls when WCW signed Raven...and Public Enemy...and Sabu...and Eddie Guerrero...I'll stop there. Were ECW a MASSIVE THREAT to WCW?

TNA's further behind ECW was in case of buyrates and the like. Also, Public Enemy were, and forever will be shite and offered nothing to WCW, Sabu was only there about 5 weeks.

And I doubt Bobby Roode would go to WWE anyway. He's making good enough money, few dates, and isn't in the midcard.

Think man, think.

3.3 for Raw, though apparently there were more eyes per household which is obviously a good sign. Maybe people who grouped together for the PPV grouped together for the Raw like I was going to do. How do they work out that more people are in a household?

Electronic metering technology is the heart of the Nielsen ratings process. Two types of meters are used: set meters capture what channel is being tuned, while People Meters go a step further and gather information about who is watching in addition to the channel tuned.

• Paid Members

What if the show has the undivided attention of everyone in the house, but some of those people only have one eye? I'm pretty sure that's what killed WCW.

• Paid Members

Just a quick thought, but what if Batista was still knocking about WWE? Surely a Batista/Lesnar feud could work out quite well. Batista is still a big mean looking bastard that wouldnt look out of place in the ring with Lesnar. I know its never going to happen but I think that could be quite a visual the two of them stood nose to nose in the centre of the ring.

Also, the WCW poaching 'Stars' from ECW arguement is a bit daft. Its common knowledge Bischoff just signed anyone he could to stop WWF from signing them. Bobby Roode joining WWE at this point isnt very smart from himself as Butch said, with the limited dates and card position there isnt really any need for him to jump any time soon.

Archived