That moment you realised....

Michael_3165

I noticed recently that wrestling just isn't what it was for me. I mean I haven't watch wrestling consistently for about ten years anyway so it's not like I just recently stopped watching. However it dawned on me during WrestleMania 28 that wrestling just isn't what it once was for me.

I was sat, watching the show and thinking "this is a habit" (buying WM I mean) and other than one match on the show, NOTHING else piqued my interest. I found myself being critical and picky about things on the show and realised that "damn, I have really fallen out of love with wrestling!"

I am wondering if anyone has had this happen? How? and if you went back to loving it, what was it that changed your mind again?

I personally can appreciate a good booked and worked match, but I feel that maybe I haven't changed with the times and as a result have been left behind. :|

Taken WM 28 for example. I come on here and Ive read "glittering" reviews for the show by some, and at least praise from others. I personally didn't "get" the hype and found that the build to and the outcome of Rock vs Cena (both the match and the ending) to be very underwhelming. Of course ten years ago I wouldn't have! I think this is a reflection of me as a fan opposed to wrestling "being shit".

I wanna get back to loving it! But struggle to find how!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

maybe it's just burnt out for you? i went through a time where i pretty much stopped watching, not quite sure why, it just sort happened gradually. I'm back to enjoying it now though, i think it's cause i don't take it as seriously as i once did, i just watch it for fun now.

Take a month or two off then try again?

• Paid Members
Probably the moment I stopped watching Wrestling/it wasn't the same, was the point where I realised my Girlfriend would most likely pack up and leave if I continued watching.

I hope you binned her. That's mental.

Fell out of love with wrestling around 2002. Nothing in particular drove me away, I just found myself having RAW and Smackdown on in the background, instead of actually paying attention to them. Eventually I figured I'd finally grown out of it, and trotted off to University. Went about three years without watching. Weirdly, it was the Chris Benoit deal that brought me back. It just put wrestling in my mind, and I decided to Wiki all my old favourites. Just like that, I was hooked again.

Nowadays, being on the internet, there are enough varieties of wrestling that I don't get bored. I go months without watching WWE, but there's plenty more fish in the sea. Back in the day I wasn't aware of all these other promotions. Once ECW and WCW were gone, it was just WWE. Like any TV show, the format gets boring after a while. I like variety.

Wrestlemania was just underwhelming anyway. I think it was on 10 years ago like you say, it still would have been an underwhelming wrestlemania.

I can't watch full shows any more really, unless there is a lot of matches I want to see, but I keep up with Raw and PPVs. I'm interested in all three announced matches at Extreme Rules so far, though

• Paid Members
Probably the moment I stopped watching Wrestling/it wasn't the same, was the point where I realised my Girlfriend would most likely pack up and leave if I continued watching.

I still occasionally watch on youtube etc and try and keep up with the results, but I think it's more a case of feeling that I grown out of it.

When your partner/girlfriend/wife is looking for someone to provide for a family, watching pro wrestling unfortunately doesn't look good in a lot of women's eyes.

I wouldn't say it's the sole reason I've stopped, but it's certainly a large part.

I don't watch anymore - I follow it online and on here, but I've not watched a full show for a good five years now. If I read spoliers and something looks good I'll check out youtube, but I wouldn't watch anything live. Perhaps that's part of my problem - the internet. I got into wrestling in late 1999, and because I was unaware of any spoliers/internet/newz sites etc I enjoyed it more. I guess all this has spoiled it for me.

Plus I've grown up. I'm 29 now and I have other priorities in life.

I still occasionally watch on youtube etc and try and keep up with the results, but I think it's more a case of feeling that I grown out of it.

When your partner/girlfriend/wife is looking for someone to provide for a family, watching pro wrestling unfortunately doesn't look good in a lot of women's eyes.

I wouldn't say it's the sole reason I've stopped, but it's certainly a large part.

Why not? I could understand if you refused to do anything but watch wrestling, but what's wrong with 2 hours on a Tuesday after work?

By that same logic, she shouldn't be watching any TV at all.

• Paid Members

I think I stopped watching completely from 2005 to 2010. I've always loved it, but I think I took it too seriously themdays. Now I just take it for the silly escapist fun that it is. Also I've grown to love the entertainment side more than the wrestling side. These days I think Mark Henry is the fucking best...back in the day I thought whatever super serious indy guy who could do the stiffest kicks and drop people on their head the most was the best.

So basically, you just gotta' relax and appreciate it for what it is and what it can be.

Fell out of love with wrestling around 2003 mainly because access to it was limited, still kept up with things on here, and watched Mania/Rumble where possible. However since the beginning of last year Ive been right back into it and more so than ever.

Now Iam older, I just enjoy it for the craic, dont treat it as life or death and generally enjoy what is on offer. Going to a live show locally also helps as it doubles up as a big night out rather than just being about the wrestling and it makes the whole thing a joy to behold.

Im dipping out of Raw again after a few months following it religiously, but thats because of tiredness more than anything. Its still all good

• Paid Members

Why not? I could understand if you refused to do anything but watch wrestling, but what's wrong with 2 hours on a Tuesday after work?

By that same logic, she shouldn't be watching any TV at all.

Look, we've (not you and I but wrestling fans in general) had this argument many a time when it comes to watching wrestling. Of course, watching wrestling is nothing different to watching a movie (at least in my eyes). However, there's no denying that there is a stigma to watching wrestling.

• Paid Members
Look, we've (not you and I but wrestling fans in general) had this argument many a time when it comes to watching wrestling. Of course, watching wrestling is nothing different to watching a movie (at least in my eyes). However, there's no denying that there is a stigma to watching wrestling.

There is and while I would never admit to my mates that I still like it and i don't mention it on FB or Twitter or anything (and I found buying PowerSlam utterly embarrassing), i don't think it applies to the person you want to share your life with. It's corny but they should accept you for what you are. My missus thinks I'm a bit odd but she knew that from the start. She's got no complaints. She got a full disclaimer. She knew I was a fat, ugly, clumsy, childish fuckwit.

• Paid Members
It's corny but they should accept you for what you are. My missus thinks I'm a bit odd but she knew that from the start. She's got no complaints. She got a full disclaimer. She knew I was a fat, ugly, clumsy, childish fuckwit.

Agreed, except less of the fat and ugly. It's probably not a strong basis for a relationship if you don't think it will last through you watching NXT.

My missus hates wrestling, and thinks i'm a massive goof for watching it.

That said, she bought me the John Cena DVD a month into our relationship as a Valentines day present and has since been dragged to shows at MSG and the LG. She doesn't like it so much, but I do. If anything, putting up with Made In Chelsea and The Only Way is Essex is far, far worst.

Archived