The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

Yeah, it's much better than that. Threads was a big deal when it was shown, due to my advanced years I remember my school had a video of it and showed it. One lad came out of it shaking like a leaf, it was well funny! He also once had a lazy lob in the showers. That was horror.

Sounds more like displacement, to me.

It was a Catholic school if that makes a difference.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've never seen Threads.

It's on various Torrent sites, if you have a look. If you want to watch an American version of it, pick up the "The Day After" DVD. Both are good. "Day After" is a US TV drama. "Threads" is like a Crimewatch reconstruction.

I'd say Threads is more scary though.

"Woman Who Pisses Herself in 'Threads' " IMDB.com Profile

• Paid Members
It's one of about 813 things I've got on my watchlist. I've seen it compared to The Day After, which I can only presume that it was better than, as The Day After was shit.

I've never seen Threads.

It's on various Torrent sites, if you have a look. If you want to watch an American version of it, pick up the "The Day After" DVD. Both are good. "Day After" is a US TV drama. "Threads" is like a Crimewatch reconstruction.

You're not helping.

Gladders, I got Threads on DVD if you want to borrow it. It's great, butI had never thought of it as horror, it's in a category of its own really. It's "real life is worse than fiction" type stuff. The closest thing I've ever seen to it in some respects is Jericho, but where that quickly descended into schmaltzy small-town America is great, Threads really, really doesn't.

I guess though it certainly creates feelings of terror and horror in the viewer, not just excitement and suspense... so I dunno. Watch it, it's aces.

Rewatched Blair Witch earlier for the first time in a very long time and yep, probably going to mess with my sleep tonight. It's still incredibly chilling. Forgot how annoying Heather was.

Somewhat related to this thread; is anyone finding - perhaps it's a getting older thing - that rewatching stuff that you saw years ago now has a different feeling? For me the biggest example is Reservoir Dogs and, specifically, the torture of Marvin the cop. It's absolutely brutal, just the complete and utter sadism on the part of Mr. Blonde. Marvin's character exists simply to get beaten up, mutilated, nearly set on fire, chastised by Mr. Orange (understandably so) before finally being disposed of in the most casual of fashion. Watching that film for the first few times, it never really struck me just how disgusting and bleak his presence in the film is. I find it genuinely hard to stomach now.

Also, the actor apparently ad-libbed the bit about his character having a family, which really pissed off Michael Madsen. Madsen said that there's no way Michael Madsen or Mr. Blonde would light the guy up after that line comes out. I think he's wrong. Blonde would have gotten off on it.

• Paid Members

Michael Madsen always comes off to me as a massive knobhead. Things like that further back it up, his character is a complete psychopath who just an hour or so earlier murdered a bunch of people mercilessly (including a young girl) and he thinks his character wouldn't kill someone because they had a family...what a buffoon.

Good actor though (kind of).

This seems like a good place to ask this.

I've been on something of a found footage kick recently and watched a whole bunch of movies. Grave Encounters, Atrocious, Exhibit A ( not really a horror but IS found footage ), Lake Mungo and other stuff.

What are the best movies in the genre?

• Paid Members
Somewhat related to this thread; is anyone finding - perhaps it's a getting older thing - that rewatching stuff that you saw years ago now has a different feeling? For me the biggest example is Reservoir Dogs and, specifically, the torture of Marvin the cop. It's absolutely brutal, just the complete and utter sadism on the part of Mr. Blonde. Marvin's character exists simply to get beaten up, mutilated, nearly set on fire, chastised by Mr. Orange (understandably so) before finally being disposed of in the most casual of fashion. Watching that film for the first few times, it never really struck me just how disgusting and bleak his presence in the film is. I find it genuinely hard to stomach now.

i hear what you're saying, that's the kinda thing that everyone thought was 'cool' back in school, another great example of something similar is the movie Kids, i know boys in school who genuinely thought the gang in the film were the coolest bunch of kids ever, the skater kids loved it. When if fact there as about as repulsive a group of teenages you can get, last time i watched it i genuinely hated them all. I'd love to see the same people's reactions now if they watched it again.

• Paid Members

I don't get how anyone at any age could think the gang in Kids were cool.

Kids is a fucking shit film as well. The director (Mike Clarke I think his name is) is just a fat pervert and everything he's ever made has been a load of wank.

• Moderators
I don't get how anyone at any age could think the gang in Kids were cool.

Kids is a fucking shit film as well. The director (Mike Clarke I think his name is) is just a fat pervert and everything he's ever made has been a load of wank.

Larry Clark, and he's basically a straight up pedo who only makes films about underage kids wanking, taking drugs and fucking. Aside from the films, he's also a photographer, but again, his exhibitions are all pictures of underage kids in their underwear.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Clark's shit. All his films are shit. Don't watch them because you could be spending your time watching something good like Touch Of Evil or Ice Cold In Alex.

Plus it was probably his encouragement that got Harmony Korine making films, and he's also shit and quite possibly worse. The worst kind of forced controversial cunt who thinks that he can cover up a complete lack of talent and ideas by drowning cats and showing lazy lobs.

Archived