The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Isnt TCM II still banned in the UK?++EDIT++ Scratch that, no its not, but the version available is edited down and devoid of any of the US extras.

• Paid Members

Isnt TCM II still banned in the UK?++EDIT++ Scratch that, no its not, but the version available is edited down and devoid of any of the US extras.

Not exactly. The UK edition is the completely Theatrical cut of the film. The US special edition DVD reinstates rough footage sourced from video work prints that were trimmed in the editing process for its original release. If the film was submitted to the BBFC in that version it would pass uncut no problem at all, it just hasn't been.

Am joining this thread late so apologies if it's already been mentioned but disappointed that Planet Terror didn't make the list - or is it too indie?!

Also vaguely surprised that Silther didn't get in - both films having a high factor of "eww" and bucketloads of blood.

Plus no Dog Soldiers in which there's a brilliant scene involing intestines and superglue.

• Paid Members

I also am coming to this thread WAY too late.

I feel there's one film that has been quite staggeringly omitted from thsi list. I know I may get shot down as it's sci-fi, but sod it Alien is on there.

Why the bleeding hell is The Terminator not listed? Yes it is definitely sci-fi, yes it borders on the action movie genre too, and has definitely been thrown in there after it's sequel was so out and out action.

But a big fuck off robot from the future chasing down a woman to kill her, and killing so many other people along the way should surely be looked at in the same light as a horror film.

It's an interesting opinion, it's one my wife shares though, and she got a degree by writing a dissertation on the merits of The Terminator as a horror film, so there must be some foundation to the opinion.

If it is seen as a horror, where would it stand on that list?

I also am coming to this thread WAY too late.

I feel there's one film that has been quite staggeringly omitted from thsi list. I know I may get shot down as it's sci-fi, but sod it Alien is on there.

Why the bleeding hell is The Terminator not listed? Yes it is definitely sci-fi, yes it borders on the action movie genre too, and has definitely been thrown in there after it's sequel was so out and out action.

But a big fuck off robot from the future chasing down a woman to kill her, and killing so many other people along the way should surely be looked at in the same light as a horror film.

It's an interesting opinion, it's one my wife shares though, and she got a degree by writing a dissertation on the merits of The Terminator as a horror film, so there must be some foundation to the opinion.

If it is seen as a horror, where would it stand on that list?

Interesting viewpoint. That explains why my favourite genre of film is Horror and Sci-Fi yet not once have I thought of Alien or Terminator as horror films. Ask your wife how she determined what constitutes a horror film then we can see whether it applies to Alien or Terminator.

Think I have way too much time on my hands....

• Paid Members

It really isn't a Horror film is it. Its a sci-fi action film. I don't really understand how it could even be misjudged as a Horror film. If you really wanted to tack on a different genre label Thriller would be better suited. It shouldn't be anywhere near a top 100 best Horror films list despite being great as it barely qualifies to be in the genre let alone the list.

EDIT - I'm a bit surprised anyone wouldn't consider Alien a Horror film either.

The Terminator is not a horror film. pat would probably classify it as such, though, judging by his wrong Westworld opinion.

You still banging on about this? Westworld is imo a horror film. just because it has elements of Scifi and Western film's doesnt mean it isnt a horror film. So it differs to your opinion of what it is. Shit happens.

The Terminator broken down as a horror film

Dystopia future whereby the the human race is all but extinct- Fear of Death, Extinction, Technology revolting

Relentless, seemingly indestructable, non emotional serial killer- Slasher genre staple

Serial Killer is not what he seems and has another form- Body Horror (the eye scene and fixing himself in general)

Young women tormented by said serial killer- Slasher genre staple

Young women stalked by said serial killer- Slasher genre staple

Young women overcomes serial killer in the end- Slasher genre staple

Potential Hero/Anti Hero killed by serial killer- Horror staple

Psychological elements,even if used as comedy- Horror staple

Failure of protection from cops and established safety nets etc- Horror staple

No complete resolution to the drama at the end of the film. - World is still going to end, technology is still going to revolt and things are going to be bleak.

So yeah, it could be a horror film, if people wanted to label it as such. It's pretty much a slasher film from start to finish, but with a robot instead of superhuman/undead character.

Archived