The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesus Christ, Pat, you're now arguing that Alien is a horror movie (which I've always said it is) as proof that Westworld and The Terminator are horror movies. What are you on?

Also,

Straw Dogs

*bang*

slump

I'm not 'on' anything Loki, merely pointing out that take away the scifi setting from Alien and you still have horror genre staples, and do the same with The Terminator and you still have horror genre staples. Clearly as I've noted several times you and Gladders dont agree with my definition of what horror is and that's fine. I dont result to insults about it though for the oneupmanship stakes though.

Irreversible

Straw Dogs (original)

Screamers

When the Wind Blows

No, no, no and no.

It's a good job you don't work filling the racks at HMV, isn't it?

"Pat? Did you put 9 1/2 Weeks in the fucking comedy section again?!"

Irreversible- There is a nice blog on it here as to why it is a horror film and how it compares to other horror films and how it is actually a horror film, far better than I could.

Straw Dogs- See Rosegarden Funeral's Post.

Screamers- Written by Dan O'Bannon (Alien) has many horror staples including a morphing serial killer, that has pentiful different version following the 'slasher' genre, but chucks in a Child and Teddy Bear as killers to further reinforce its unnaturalness and horror credentials. Finishes off with a nice doomsday end of the world scenario as well as well as promising that the killer can and will return.

When The Wind Blows- Threads is on the list and contains much of the same thematic content as in it's an apocalyptic horror, so why not this? Because's it's a cartoon?

As for the rest, I didnt insult you for your view's on what horror is, there is no need to resort to belittling because you dont agree with something else being put forward.

• Paid Members
Irreversible- There is a nice blog on it here as to why it is a horror film and how it compares to other horror films and how it is actually a horror film, far better than I could.

Straw Dogs- See Rosegarden Funeral's Post.

Screamers- Written by Dan O'Bannon (Alien) has many horror staples including a morphing serial killer, that has pentiful different version following the 'slasher' genre, but chucks in a Child and Teddy Bear as killers to further reinforce its unnaturalness and horror credentials. Finishes off with a nice doomsday end of the world scenario as well as well as promising that the killer can and will return.

When The Wind Blows- Threads is on the list and contains much of the same thematic content as in it's an apocalyptic horror, so why not this? Because's it's a cartoon?

As for the rest, I didnt insult you for your view's on what horror is, there is no need to resort to belittling because you dont agree with something else being put forward.

1) I didn't bother reading that blog link as soon as I saw that it listed The fucking Butterly Effect as one of the best time travel films of all time. Any page loses all credibility after that.

2) Me and RoFu agreed on 'siege thriller' after last night's football.

3) Dan O'Bannon also wrote Blue Thunder, is that a horror film? Open interpretation endings are not unique to horror.

4) I never said it wasn't a horror film because it was animated, Pat. You might think you can win other arguments by putting words into people's mouths, but not this one. I said it's not a horror because it's not a horror.

As for your end whingeing, it was a joke. Settle down.

Okay, I've studied the arguments and the to-ings and fro-ings (think I just made up 2 words there) and if you had asked me a few days ago whether Alien (one of my all-time favourite films) was a sci-fi or horror film, I would have 100% said sci-fi - and wondered what hallucinogenic substance you had taken for even daring to suggest it was a horror film.

Now I've observed the discussion I totally see the case for classifying it as a horror film set in space BUT in my heart I will always see it as sci-fi. The opening scene, with the gentle synthed music and the vastness of space with this huge spaceship floating into view - it's sci-fi, pure and simple.

Going slightly off-topic for a moment - just wondering, am I the only person who feels slightly sorry for the aliens in Alien vs Predator? Think it's because the alien is a creature, operating on animal instinct whilst the predator is a hunter, cold and calculating. Dunno.

• Paid Members
Going slightly off-topic for a moment - just wondering, am I the only person who feels slightly sorry for the aliens in Alien vs Predator? Think it's because the alien is a creature, operating on animal instinct whilst the predator is a hunter, cold and calculating. Dunno.

I feel sorry for myself, for having watched that piece of shit.

Also, this thread has got quite tedious with this whole "this is a horror" "no it isn't" stuff.

• Paid Members
4) I never said it wasn't a horror film because it was animated, Pat. You might think you can win other arguments by putting words into people's mouths, but not this one. I said it's not a horror because it's not a horror.

I agree with the others, but if you disagree with this being on the list, do you also disagree with Threads being on the list? The only major difference I can see is the last few sequences on Threads, but it's firmly in horror territory before that...

• Paid Members

It's one of about 813 things I've got on my watchlist. I've seen it compared to The Day After, which I can only presume that it was better than, as The Day After was shit.

Yeah, it's much better than that. Threads was a big deal when it was shown, due to my advanced years I remember my school had a video of it and showed it. One lad came out of it shaking like a leaf, it was well funny! He also once had a lazy lob in the showers. That was horror.

• Paid Members
Yeah, it's much better than that. Threads was a big deal when it was shown, due to my advanced years I remember my school had a video of it and showed it. One lad came out of it shaking like a leaf, it was well funny! He also once had a lazy lob in the showers. That was horror.

Sounds more like displacement, to me.

Archived