The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The Terminator is not a horror film. pat would probably classify it as such, though, judging by his wrong Westworld opinion.

You still banging on about this? Westworld is imo a horror film. just because it has elements of Scifi and Western film's doesnt mean it isnt a horror film. So it differs to your opinion of what it is. Shit happens.

I didn't say it wasn't a horror film because it has elements of sci-fi and Western. I just said it's not a horror film. And it's not because a robot chasing a bloke around and trying to kill him for half an hour in a film which for most of the rest of its running time is a western does not constitute a horror film by any interpretation that I have ever made of it.

• Paid Members

Pah, my wife let me down, her dissertation was on the fact that The Terminator shows all signs and characteristics of a Horror/Slasher yet can not be placed within that genre for a myriad of reasons.

She claims it's too complicated for my fickle mind to comprehend so won't go into it all, the only nugget she gave me was that the antagonist within the film was 'programmed' to kill for one purpose or something that my tiny brain will fail to comprehend.

She mentioned Westworld too, and said it was ridiculous that it should be considered a horror also.

The Terminator is apparently a Thriller as prescribed by the book "The Suspense Thriller" by Charles someone-or-other, and then only loosely so, as the genre of Sci-Fi and Action supersede it.

She ended her conversation with 'Rather than just watch the films, read a book on the fuckers you uneducated berk'

Put.In.My.Place

I still think it's a horror mind ... it's scary and involves someone/thing chasing a lass to kill her, apparently it's not that simple.

I didn't say it wasn't a horror film because it has elements of sci-fi and Western. I just said it's not a horror film. And it's not because a robot chasing a bloke around and trying to kill him for half an hour in a film which for most of the rest of its running time is a western does not constitute a horror film by any interpretation that I have ever made of it.

Yeah, but it wasnt just the The Gunslinger going after one tourist was it? The rest of the robots went on the rampage in Roman World and Medieval World (Black Knight iirc was another who singled out a particular tourist) Those in a position of power effectively suffocated to death because of the technology as they couldnt escape after trying to stop the madness by powering down, and a zombie like/rage like virus infecting 'the robots' turning them into instant killers from a presumed aura of being safe and controlled where nothing can go wrong

You then have a sole survivor, being a particularly non macho and exhibiting some classic female in trouble horror traits ultimately winning the day, which is again a version of a horror staple.

There had to be some set up to the film as in it was a holiday park, introduce the robots etc, show the safety features and what not, making sure to lull the audience into a sense of security for the horror to begin with. Hundreds of deaths caused by rampaging robots that were previously safe, in a location that was previously considered a happy place for a vacation (Hmm wonder if horror films play on that motif at all?) Et voila one horror film

Pah, my wife let me down, her dissertation was on the fact that The Terminator shows all signs and characteristics of a Horror/Slasher yet can not be placed within that genre for a myriad of reasons.

She claims it's too complicated for my fickle mind to comprehend so won't go into it all, the only nugget she gave me was that the antagonist within the film was 'programmed' to kill for one purpose or something that my tiny brain will fail to comprehend.

She mentioned Westworld too, and said it was ridiculous that it should be considered a horror also.

The Terminator is apparently a Thriller as prescribed by the book "The Suspense Thriller" by Charles someone-or-other, and then only loosely so, as the genre of Sci-Fi and Action supersede it.

She ended her conversation with 'Rather than just watch the films, read a book on the fuckers you uneducated berk'

Put.In.My.Place

I still think it's a horror mind ... it's scary and involves someone/thing chasing a lass to kill her, apparently it's not that simple.

I like your wife. You should lend her to Pat.

Horror is all about style, tone, genre conventions, the fear of the unknown, the psychology of terror, all sorts of stuff that doesn't really apply to Westworld or Jurassic Park. Just moments of suspense on their own don't cut it, as plenty of thrillers, Westerns and SciFi use suspense.

Alien is definitely horror, it just is. And Westworld, not. I don't think you necessarily need to read a book to see that.

• Paid Members

I did get complimented by calling it THE Terminator though.

My wife loves her horror, another of her dissertations focussed on the female form portrayed in slasher films, and is why I have books with titles like 'Men, Women and Chainsaws' on my bookcase.

• Paid Members

My wife loves her horror, another of her dissertations focussed on the female form portrayed in slasher films, and is why I have books with titles like 'Men, Women and Chainsaws' on my bookcase.

That's a good one - Carol Clover, IIRC?

• Paid Members
Yeah, but it wasnt just the The Gunslinger going after one tourist was it? The rest of the robots went on the rampage in Roman World and Medieval World (Black Knight iirc was another who singled out a particular tourist) Those in a position of power effectively suffocated to death because of the technology as they couldnt escape after trying to stop the madness by powering down, and a zombie like/rage like virus infecting 'the robots' turning them into instant killers from a presumed aura of being safe and controlled where nothing can go wrong

For fuck's sake, it wasn't a "zombie like virus" at all, stop making shit up. Some machines went mad and killed some people, the basis of so many science fiction stories that have not been termed by anyone as horror for many decades. Are all these horror films, too?

http://blog.calgarypubliclibrary.com/blogs...nes-go-bad.aspx

What's her opinion on the portrayal of the fairer sex in The Slumber Party Massacre? :sneaky:

• Paid Members

What's her opinion on the portrayal of the fairer sex in The Slumber Party Massacre? :sneaky:

I shall endeavour to ask her that one.

I did ask what she considered to be her all time greatest horror, she came back that she'd have to break it down into two categories to answer:

Slasher Horror: Psycho, the epitome of slasher and where it all began

Psychological Horror: Strangers on a Train, closely followed by ... get this, as I couldn't believe what she was saying ... The Talented Mr. Ripley. I looked blankly at her, she replied I wouldn't understand. Anyone?

• Paid Members
Psychological Horror: Strangers on a Train, closely followed by ... get this, as I couldn't believe what she was saying ... The Talented Mr. Ripley. I looked blankly at her, she replied I wouldn't understand. Anyone?

Repulsion is a psychological horror film. Jacob's Ladder is, too. Those just aren't.

• Paid Members

I shall endeavour to ask her that one.

I did ask what she considered to be her all time greatest horror, she came back that she'd have to break it down into two categories to answer:

Slasher Horror: Psycho, the epitome of slasher and where it all began

She seems openly contemptuous of you.

For fuck's sake, it wasn't a "zombie like virus" at all, stop making shit up. Some machines went mad and killed some people, the basis of so many science fiction stories that have not been termed by anyone as horror for many decades. Are all these horror films, too?

http://blog.calgarypubliclibrary.com/blogs...nes-go-bad.aspx

I'm sorry, machines turn against there programming like they are all infected with something starting with a snake who bites a human, which was forbidden by their masters/controllers and completely against how they had been progranmed, and then spreads. So, many different machines counter their programming is clearly nothing like a virus? This is especially when they have to shut down everything to try and make it stop, but fails because they (the robots) have reserve power supplies and have completely broken their program making them ruthless killers with nothing else in mind, a bit like, erm, zombies. Making shit up? Really? Different views on the same thing. Seem's like others share the same view as me though. It's not definitive, because nothing ever is but its not as cut as dried as you would like to portray.

Android breakdowns are on the rise, almost as though an infectious disease is passing from one android to another.

Gradually, the technicians running Delos begin to notice problems spreading like an infection among the androids:

As for using the net for proof with book references including Clover (already mentioned by Teedy Kay's wife) here is the Terminator review for you and others on a website called Classic- Horror. Sarah Connor adheres to the premise of a 'Final Girl', much as in the same way that Peter Benjamin plays an effeminate/sissy man (cleaned out by his macho and devious wife in a divorce settlement) in West World, thus adhering to the Final Girl stereotype with a twist as is a man playing what is effectively a classic girl's role in Horror (he had previously played on his not macho or not alpha male displaying role in previous films including a sexually ambigious serial killer, because he was the 'last man' you would expect to be one).

I linked to another 'blog'/book site before regarding Westworld, here. This again confirms Westworld as a potential as classed as Horror and is a rehash from his book entitled Horror films of the 1970's

But hey, you consider it not horror, that's fair enough. Doesn't mean everyone else should or does share your empirical view of things though.

Archived