The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
HANG THE FUCK ON.

Quatermass and the Pit isn't on there. The scariest film I ever saw as a kid.

The original black and white one, before we get into that.

Quatermass and the Pit is fucking fantastic film, also scared the shit out of me when a kid, my dad would always bang on about how scary it was and it was on lateish one night and watched it. Yikes

Paperhouse is a great shout as well whoever mentioned it (Chokeout?)

Finally looked through the list. No Day of the Triffids, Gaslight, Dont Look Now?

Don't Look Now is number 12.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eden Lake and The Girl Next Door are big omissions, for my taste.

Eden Lake is a genuinely horrific experience, but may be exclusively British which may preclude it from some peoples list.

The Girl Next Door is a fucking incredible film. Has a really good 'villain' with an incredibly subtle backstory, and a really brilliant cast with a script that doesn't rely on charicatures. It's so classic in its presentation with a genuinely robust understanding of horror and brutality and the human condition. It's the best film i've seen in the last 12 months. I can't speak highly enough of it.

• Paid Members

That was me, unless Chokeout mentioned it too. It's a really spooky movie, and absolutely translates how it feels to be a kid, with all of those signifiers of what makes you happy and what makes you sad.

Sad story about the lad from that movie - he became deranged from anti-malaria medicine, and ended up killing himself a few years later.

• Paid Members
Eden Lake and The Girl Next Door are big omissions, for my taste.

Eden Lake is a genuinely horrific experience, but may be exclusively British which may preclude it from some peoples list.

The Girl Next Door is a fucking incredible film. It's so classic in its presentation with a genuinely robust understanding of horror and brutality and the human condition. It's the best film i've seen in the last 12 months. I can't speak highly enough of it.

Eden Lake is a cracking shout, for me. I found it scary, plausible, and very affecting. I love that it's a British version of the backwoods redneck horror, but with chavs instead of killer hillbillies - does cut down on the appeal for the USA.

Girl Next Door was very shocking indeed - watching it during a fucking hurricane was a harrowing experience. However, I think it loses out on the production front - it neither gains in authenticity and a residual grindhouse appeal due to any sort of griminess, nor has a true cinematic glossiness. Instead, it seems like a TV movie, which hamstrings it somewhat.

I loved the production of it. I thought the general feel of the film, from the production values to the script to the cast to the shocking subject matter worked perfectly well together. Such a fanboy of that film.

Riveting and effecting. If this was my list, it'd be top 10.

• Paid Members

Paperhouse is a fantastic film. Very unique and unusual, and as it was directed by Bernard Rose, ties in nicely with the Candyman discussion, too. I agree with whoever said Glenn Headly was shit in it, too. Really dragged it down but it survives.

• Paid Members
Paperhouse is a fantastic film. Very unique and unusual, and as it was directed by Bernard Rose, ties in nicely with the Candyman discussion, too. I agree with whoever said Glenn Headly was shit in it, too. Really dragged it down but it survives.

That was me too. I can do no wrong.

Anyone ever see Big Meat Eater?

Don't Look Now is number 12.

I Control and F'd it on the list as well. Not really my day then.

That was me, unless Chokeout mentioned it too. It's a really spooky movie, and absolutely translates how it feels to be a kid, with all of those signifiers of what makes you happy and what makes you sad.

Sad story about the lad from that movie - he became deranged from anti-malaria medicine, and ended up killing himself a few years later.

It was on BBC 1 about 2 years ago, maybe less. Always remember it being advertised all over or seemingly so, and was probably on one of the first Film' whatever I watched. Its really good stuff

Havent seen big meat eater but seen the likes of necro files and necromantik 1&2 now they were something not for all tastes but i agree on eden lake i loved that havent seen girl next door though

Not sure about Eden Lake. Like Wolf Creek I felt it was brutal and downbeat to excess. Ultimately a horror film should be enjoyable, and I didn't enjoy those two at all.

• Paid Members
Havent seen big meat eater but seen the likes of necro files and necromantik 1&2 now they were something not for all tastes but i agree on eden lake i loved that havent seen girl next door though

Ha, Necro Files now theres a dubious blast from the past. A mate of mine bought it on vhs when we were in Amasterdam back in 2000. He wasn't to happy once he'd seen in it and left it at mine. I think I might still have it knocking about somewhere.

Definately confused with big meat eater i tell u what we need to trade some movies i just stumbled across my copy of the signal thats one film i cannot keep putting it down i love the film so much thats in my top 10

• Paid Members

That's actually a really good list. Only two I can think of off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned are the Lon Chaney Phantom of the Opera and The Witchfinder General.

I'd disagree with Martyrs that high up - I just didn't get on with that film, personally. Also, I'm with Woyzeck on the dislike for The Descent. Dog Soldiers is much, much better, not least because I actually cared about the characters, whereas I didn't with the descent. Especially not the Irish girl. God, she was annoying. "God, it's all just, like, y'know, so EXTREME, right, so MAD, y'know, that you just want to be like all EXTREME". Ugh.

I'm also one of the 'Friday the 13th is a big pile of shite' crowd. It's not awful, but it's very, very lucky that there were sequels that ended up becoming iconic. The only interesting things about the first are the ending and the fact that Kevin Bacon turns up.

Candyman? Brilliant, beautiful film. If you're looking at it as a slasher film, you may disagree, but that's because it's not trying to be a slasher film. It's more Legend of Sleepy Hollow than it is Friday the 13th.

• Paid Members

Looks a decent enough list from where I'm sitting apart from as, Mr. Sev said, "Hellraiser" is insanely low and, in my opinion, so is "Cannibal Holocaust".

ADDED: I'd move "Threads" up a bit too. Scared the shit out of me back in the day.

Archived